MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
This may of interest for some booked up with seafrance

PRESS RELEASE FROM SEAFRANCE

SeaFrance

Urgent information

We are approaching November 16th, the date when the decision of the Court of commerce will dictate the future of the Company, the Board of SeaFrance, and the Receivers have decided, in liaison with the French National Authorities, to suspend the ship operations on the 15th of November at 04 00 hours.

We have taken this decision, with full knowledge of the consequences, to safeguard the security of the passengers, crews, vehicles and ships. We are conscious of the inconvenience this situation is causing and we apologise for this. We will keep you informed of any changes in the present situation.

Should you need any further information, Please contact us on +44 (0) 845 458 0666 to speak to a member of staff.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Oh I really hope not they have been holding a ticket open for over a year, treated me well as it was cheapest they do,, good customer relations..

My own fault not using it earlier if they have gone under sadly:cry:

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Hold your horses!.......

They've only done this to stop the militant workers damaging the ships. The final decision is at the courts tomorrow but there was rumour that the union workers would sink one of the ships in port if they didn't like the outcome. Whichever way it goes, I doubt it will go with the unions wishes.

As far as I can see it, they'll either be liquidated or DFDS will have the takeover. I can't see the Union gang's takeover being anywhere near good enough.

So to keep the calm, they have decided to stop working today. Makes a lot of sense to me.

So it's not quite over yet.........

I've got tickets booked next month too!......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
In reality Sea France have been "Bust" for many years...

They have been kept alive by "support" from the French government, although they are supposed to be a private enterprise, much to the anger of other operators operating out of Dover.

These sort of deadlines and meetings have been an ongoing feature behind the scenes at Sea France on numerous occasions over the years..

I would not worry that they will disappear any time soon though they may lose one or two ships from the service, thus reducing crossings.

Callum

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Not quite, unless they extend again, which I think this time is not likely, tomorrow could finally see the end of Seafrance. The liquidators are rubbing their hands waiting..... :cry:

Hopefully, something good will come out of tomorrow's hearing.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
When we returned at the end of September the crew just about equalled the passengers, that can't go on indefinitely.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I went over last Thursday (booze cruise) and he ship was pretty empty. Car deck less than 1/4 full. It was a very pleasant crossing, no crowding no queues. I suppose it will have to be P&O at 50% more expensive next time, and that's assuming the reduction in competition won't lead to a large increase in fares.:Sad:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
I went over last Thursday (booze cruise) and he ship was pretty empty. Car deck less than 1/4 full. It was a very pleasant crossing, no crowding no queues. I suppose it will have to be P&O at 50% more expensive next time, and that's assuming the reduction in competition won't lead to a large increase in fares.:Sad:

most deff it will lead to fare increace ,,,,, old saying you want to go you pay more ,,,,

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
just contacted Seafrance.

I have a ferry booked. I have been informed that should the company not be taken over then a full refund will be given.
If it is taken over, then a transfer will be offered.

I felt a little awkward speaking to someone whom may well lose their job but enquiring about my £58 booking fee. :Sad:

I hope they survive, less competition will be a disaster for ferry prices

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Freight is what pays for the ferries not us holiday makers, there will be some wheeling and dealings going on in the background, what will hurt us, may crucify haulage companies, especially the ones that are dilligently dismantling the UK haulage industry. If I could get a cheap enough price, i'd use the tunnel, but deals seem few and far between.:Eeek:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I suppose it will have to be P&O at 50% more expensive:

I always did Seafrance for about 7 years but the last 3 years or so they have been MORE expensive than P&O on our crossing times ...
Price is always my main factor, cant say I had any faults with either company regarding facilities and service..
Nice to have at least 2 companies to compare prices...

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
not sounding good at the moment

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
It's funny how all the P&O prices have seemed to have gone up by a lot since this morning for December crossings.......

I checked this morning and it was £80 for the weekend we are going, it's now £122.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
It's funny how all the P&O prices have seemed to have gone up by a lot since this morning for December crossings.......

I checked this morning and it was £80 for the weekend we are going, it's now £122.

Typical P&O.......

I worked for them on the Dover Calais service amongst other routes....
Not a nice outfit to work for......

Jan 5, 2009
Chillington Devon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2006
Will need to wait and see who wec an leave the UK with on 30th of November and how much extra it will cost.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Whoops. We have a crossing booked for this Friday. Still trying to find out what the score is!

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Just heard that there is a meeting still happening with the French union. Nice gentleman on the helpline says that its looking hopeful for Friday but they can't confirm anything for another couple of hours.

deckie

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Clubman GL
Exp
46 yrs
DFDS Pricing policy ??

Hi All,

We have used Seafrance for many years and will be sad to see them go !!

Whilst checking out the alternatives, unless i have got it wrong, :Eeek: DFDS seem to want to rob us Brits, travelling from Dover to Dunkirk ... Dunkirk to Dover, Cheapest fare (M/Home over 2.4 mtr high) ... £34 each way (notice pounds)

If you travel from the other side, Dunkirk to Dover ... Dover to Dunkirk you will only have to fork out E29 each way (notice Euros) .... (code DF03) ...

This is the same, M/Home, same Ship, same time !!!!!!

What do you think of that ??

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi All,

We have used Seafrance for many years and will be sad to see them go !!

Whilst checking out the alternatives, unless i have got it wrong, :Eeek: DFDS seem to want to rob us Brits, travelling from Dover to Dunkirk ... Dunkirk to Dover, Cheapest fare (M/Home over 2.4 mtr) ... £34 each way (notice pounds)

If you travel from the other side, Dunkirk to Dover ... Dover to Dunkirk you will only have to fork out E29 each way (notice Euros) .... (code DF03) ...

This is the same, M/Home, same Ship, same time !!!!!!

What do you think of that ??

Something to do with port charges at Dover costing more than Dunkirk.

Or maybe its because fuel is cheaper in France so they can do the return run a bit cheaper on French fuel.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back