Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Kent being one of the larger shire counties seems to have less meets / rallies / shows than many other areas.

Why is it people only come here to speed along the M2 or M20 to the channel ports.

I seem to put thousands of miles on the clock each year going North or West .. in fact I can go to France and see a fair bit with say the combined mileage in September that I did to Shepton show and the Lincoln show.

We have a very big county show ground just off the M2 at Detling, the Ardingly showground just over the border surry/sussex of the M23. Plus we have the hop farm at beltring that hosts the war and peace show with thousands of military vehicles each summer. So we have the space.. just wish someone was willing or able to organise a decent size meet. How I would love just to drive a handful of miles rather than usual 300 to 500 miles round trip.

Bob

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Kent being one of the larger shire counties seems to have less meets / rallies / shows than many other areas.

Why is it people only come here to speed along the M2 or M20 to the channel ports.

I seem to put thousands of miles on the clock each year going North or West .. in fact I can go to France and see a fair bit with say the combined mileage in September that I did to Shepton show and the Lincoln show.

We have a very big county show ground just off the M2 at Detling, the Ardingly showground just over the border surry/sussex of the M23. Plus we have the hop farm at beltring that hosts the war and peace show with thousands of military vehicles each summer. So we have the space.. just wish someone was willing or able to organise a decent size meet. How I would love just to drive a handful of miles rather than usual 300 to 500 miles round trip.

Bob
You can put us down for it Bob.......just let us know the date you have arranged:ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well I think they should have built the channel tunnel up north so us poor northerners wouldn't have to drive all the way dahn sahf.
Lets face it Bob you have the channel ports, it would have only been fair for us to have a link from say Birmingham across country to Belgium.
Its OK for you people living down in the garden of England to just nip over the water for the weekend but what about the distance we lot have to travel to stock up for Christmas.
If I could afford to live in the affluent south I wouldn't bother about an odd meet or two,Id be off to France every weekend,no time for whippets and flat caps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We have had 2 trips to Kent to look at interesting things and enjoy the countryside... and neither involved a cross Channel ferry...

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Sounds good to me Bob (sloberdobberbobajobber) were you a cub-scout?

I'll not be organizing it but would happily attend.

As for Norf / Sarf divide, if you spent some the disposable income that you enjoy ooop Norf as opposed to the non disposable income we have in the sarf, you wouldn't mind sticking your hand in your pocket to buy the fuel to get down to where WE have built the English Channel Tunnel for your convenience.
:winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sounds good to me Bob (sloberdobberbobajobber) were you a cub-scout?

I'll not be organizing it but would happily attend.

As for Norf / Sarf divide, if you spent some the disposable income that you enjoy ooop Norf as opposed to the non disposable income we have in the sarf, you wouldn't mind sticking your hand in your pocket to buy the fuel to get down to where WE have built the English Channel Tunnel for your convenience.
:winky:

Stick us ands in us pockets eh....We only do that when weather gets chilly.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Kent being one of the larger shire counties

Kentshire?

I really should research before I post! Kent, being a non-Metropolitan county, is indeed a Shire county. Apologies.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think you partially answered your own question, Bob, in that Kent is bang in the south of the country. Detling is around 280 miles from here, a trip of 5 or 6 hours or so.

We've been to Detling Showground 3 times for events since we got the van but the last time we made the trip we had a few days stop off elsewhere on the way. If we did so in future we would try to combine the event with others as it is a heck of a lot of travelling for a couple of days otherwise.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
We have had a couple of meets in Kent in Deal, we also did a lot C&CC DA meets this summer, it's a bit like going away with your Mum and Dad but a good laugh, even if they are tucked up in bed by 9 oclock:ROFLMAO:

All joking aside they have some really nice venues, so if you are in the C&CC Bob it may be worth looking at them in the future, quite a few of us funsters can be found at them:thumb:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
There used to be a show at Brands Hatch years ago, a good one.

Some of the clubs used to have a rally at the Detling Steam Fair, if that still runs.

Link Removed

Dont forget the Olympic sites are in Kent with the C&CC at The Rugby Club at Gravesend 2012
Link Removed

Link Removed Kent Group

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have had a couple of meets in Kent in Deal, we also did a lot C&CC DA meets this summer, it's a bit like going away with your Mum and Dad but a good laugh, even if they are tucked up in bed by 9 o'clock:ROFLMAO:

All joking aside they have some really nice venues, so if you are in the C&CC Bob it may be worth looking at them in the future, quite a few of us funsters can be found at them:thumb:

Just been away the the so called " 9 o'clock club " had a great weekend, and a lot of the younger members went to bed earlier, us and many older members never came out the hall until midnight. :thumb: :winky: The reason they go to bed early sometimes is they :wine::wine::wine::wine:
:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug: all day, and it gets the better of them. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When is the meet Bob ? We could be up for it. :thumb:

As Dane says we funsters have had a few meets in Kent, and we will bring the party tent.:thumb: Bob.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We are planning on spending a few days at the War and Peace Show, Hop Farm, Paddock Wood, Tonbridge next year...........::bigsmile:

Looking forward to nights out in the period dress. Anyone out there got a battle dress uniform for someone six foot three?::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Count me out of the Hop Farm.

I went there last year having promised my young daughter we could go to Santa's grotto.

I didnt research it but assumed it would be £15 a head or that sort of thing. it was nearer £60 each:Eeek:

That would have been £240 for the 4 of us.

Had to break a promise unfortunately:Angry:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
No major shows down here now

There used to be a show at Brands Hatch years ago, a good one.

Some of the clubs used to have a rally at the Detling Steam Fair, if that still runs.

No major shows down here these days.. just the CCC district meets, which we have done from time to time, but they hate generators and are to regimented for my liking. I am more into the sort of show next July to Rutlandwater.

Brandshatch is just off the M25 motorway near Dartford Crossing.. two major shopping Malls within 10 miles.. Bluewater on the Kent side of the river just off the A2 (1st exit going south) and just the other side of the Dartford Bridge (north side) is Lakeside again hop skip and jump from the M25.... last exit before the bridge.

Detling showground gets used for various other shows in the summer.. Barmy army have a do there and then there is the major agricultural shows... but no shows for motorhomes as such or get togethers. Detling is nor far from the South side of Maidstone and part way across the A229 towards the Isle of Sheppy.

But I willl explore and see if one could be arranged. There are some very nice areas in Kent and I do know of one or two fields where there is other meetings of cars... currently there is a circus just up the road to me just off the A21 ... now that has one of the largest shopping retail parks within a hundred yeards of that field.. with links off the M25 (junction 5) to the A21 and then 14 miles South, most of it duel carrageway.

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
the other side of the coin

I think you partially answered your own question, Bob, in that Kent is bang in the south of the country. Detling is around 280 miles from here, a trip of 5 or 6 hours or so.

We've been to Detling Showground 3 times for events since we got the van but the last time we made the trip we had a few days stop off elsewhere on the way. If we did so in future we would try to combine the event with others as it is a heck of a lot of travelling for a couple of days otherwise.

Yes you have the otherside of our coin... we have to make long trps to anywhere from here in Kent. So I know the feeling.

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yyes we are a C&CC member

We have had a couple of meets in Kent in Deal, we also did a lot C&CC DA meets this summer, it's a bit like going away with your Mum and Dad but a good laugh, even if they are tucked up in bed by 9 oclock:ROFLMAO:

Yes we are C&CC members and have been to a few meets in Kent.. both the caravan section and the Motorhome section. We did find we were a square peg in a round hole.

Firstly the looks.. a Winnebago with a trailer (was a small trailer then with the disabled scooters) .. now 45' with the car trailer. Often they were stuck down some small country lane miles from anywhere..so stuck on site (hence the car trailer now).. the only issue we had was recharging the batteries for the RV which inturn via our invertor meant running the generator.. that is a no no.. OK sometimes they obliged us to allow a top up when everyone was out.. but still bought complaints even when using the Venturi extention to take fumes up and away and as an added silencer... I meet a chap only two roads away, he knew my RV from passing my house.. but did feel we were tollerated rather than welcomed.

Who knows perhaps we will try again this year. But I would like to attend a real meet 60 to 100 motorhomes /caravans etc., like the next July Rutland Water meet... but here in Kent.

Bob

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
No major shows down here these days.. just the CCC district meets, which we have done from time to time, but they hate generators and are to regimented for my liking. I am more into the sort of show next July to Rutlandwater.

Brandshatch is just off the [HI]M25 motorway near Dartford Crossing.. two major shopping Malls within 10 miles.. Bluewater on the Kent side of the river just off the A2 (1st exit going south) and just the other side of the Dartford Bridge (north side) is Lakeside again hop skip and jump from the M25.... last exit before the bridge.[/HI]
Detling showground gets used for various other shows in the summer.. Barmy army have a do there and then there is the major agricultural shows... but no shows for motorhomes as such or get togethers. Detling is nor far from the South side of Maidstone and part way across the A229 towards the Isle of Sheppy.

But I willl explore and see if one could be arranged. There are some very nice areas in Kent and I do know of one or two fields where there is other meetings of cars... currently there is a circus just up the road to me just off the A21 ... now that has one of the largest shopping retail parks within a hundred yeards of that field.. with links off the M25 (junction 5) to the A21 and then 14 miles South, most of it duel carrageway.

Bob

Most of the reasons why we moved out of kent to the p & q of Narfoook two years ago:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
II can see I am letting myself in for something here

Just been away the the so called " 9 o'clock club " had a great weekend, and a lot of the younger members went to bed earlier, us and many older members never came out the hall until midnight. :thumb: :winky: The reason they go to bed early sometimes is they :wine::wine::wine::wine:
:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug: all day, and it gets the better of them. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When is the meet Bob ? We could be up for it. :thumb:

As Dane says we funsters have had a few meets in Kent, and we will bring the party tent.:thumb: Bob.

Hi Bob / Jane

I can see I am letting myself in for something here. I may well see what is available... but with the mobility issues (as you know) I would need some marshalls? will to do what I can.. organisation etc., would need a field, but water and a disposal point, so it is a ralley field I need to hunt out rather than just the field up the road sort of thing. I will discuss it with Sue tonight and see what she feels about it.

Dates are the thing? need not to clash with the shows or other meets. Also needs to be top part of Kent to ease travel for some, but not to far from interesting places etc.,

So if you or others are willing to pitch in, I expect we could get a smaller version of Rutland Water on the move.

Bob....

so who would be interested if we get one up and running in Kent?

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Kentishman or man of Kent who cares

Im a maid of Kent does that mean Im banned ????:Sad::cry::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Kentishman or man of Kent .. or women of Kent and Kentish Women.. who cares which side of the River Medway you were born...

me I was born in the Eastend of London and lived all but 20 years in Kent... OK..42 years.

Am I getting some interest I ask myself.......

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
NO it would not be the hop farm to expensive

Count me out of the Hop Farm.

I went there last year having promised my young daughter we could go to Santa's grotto.

I didnt research it but assumed it would be £15 a head or that sort of thing. it was nearer £60 each:Eeek:

That would have been £240 for the 4 of us.

Had to break a promise unfortunately:Angry:

No I agree the Hop farmm is to expensive.. I live only 10 minutes from it, it hhas changed hands a couple of times in recent years and it seems each owner gets involved and the prices are jacked up... I need to research a suitable palce ...

access for any side rig

water

disposal point

flat grass

not far from a town

not far from good road links

Working on it.

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
tthinking about next summer or spring

Kent isnt to far from Waldegraves on mersea Island why dont you join us xxxx

Thinking about next summer or spring... much based on the Rutland Water type of idea rather than a camp site and camp site fees. A rally field ... need to do so hunting, but the CC&C use a few that may work.. just dependent on number.. need to think more about it.. but the offer is nice... and yes Essex is not that far away up the A12 etc., something to keep in mind.

thank you for your imput .. added to the suggestion list

regards

Bob

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Kent Funster meet

[HI]Most of the reasons why we moved out of kent to the p & q of Narfoook two years ago[/HI]:ROFLMAO:

Having said that Bob we would gladly risk travelling through Essex, fighting the M25 & the Dartford Crossing all for a Funster meet in the [STRIKE]Garden[/STRIKE] back yard of England:thumb:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
aand there I was thinking of the ladies

Most of the reasons why we moved out of kent to the p & q of Narfoook two years ago:ROFLMAO:

There I was thinking of the ladies.. a chance to do some shopping... but it is just the very early stages of an idea.. see how many are interested and if we can get the marshalls etc.,

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back