Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Is it legal or not?

A friend said that it was [HI]illegal[/HI] as you were not in control of the van.

Hi ShiftZZ, the authorities outlawed the built-in Freewheel as found on early Saab and Rover 95 back in mid 60's and as I understand it if by free-wheel you mean what I call coasting (out of gear-low engine revs, downhill sort of thing) that is illegal as you are not in full control of the vehicle.

Someone I'm sure will put me right if I'm wrong which of course is unlikely as My Missus keeps [STRIKE]Yelling[/STRIKE] telling me.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi ShiftZZ, the authorities outlawed the built-in Freewheel as found on early Saab and Rover 95 back in mid 60's and as I understand it if by free-wheel you mean what I call coasting (out of gear-low engine revs, downhill sort of thing) that is illegal as you are not in full control of the vehicle.

Someone I'm sure will put me right if I'm wrong which of course is unlikely as My Missus keeps [STRIKE]Yelling[/STRIKE] telling me.

Popeye that is my understanding too! It can have frightening consequences if it is done. Many eyars ago I did it going downhill for about a mile and when I reached the bottom flung it back in gear.....................
what I hadn't realised was that whilst I was freewheeling the fuel pump was still pumping fuel so when I engaed the clutch fuel vapour filled the exhaust and ignited with a deafening roar and flames shot out of the back.

The car behind didn't travel so close after that

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Popeye that is my understanding too! It can have frightening consequences if it is done. Many eyars ago I did it going downhill for about a mile and when I reached the bottom flung it back in gear.....................
what I hadn't realised was that whilst I was freewheeling the fuel pump was still pumping fuel so when I engaed the clutch fuel [HI]vapour filled the exhaust and ignited[/HI] with a deafening roar and flames shot out of the back.

The car behind didn't travel so close after that

Norman

It sound as if your engine died while coasting or you switched the ignition off. Either way when the engine restarts that is exactly what you will experience especially if you have the slightest air leak in the exhaust.

Many years ago if we had a car in for exhaust replacement (blowing) we would rev the nuts out of the engine up to around 6000 rpm, immediately switch the ignition off and wait the short time for the engine to slow down, all this time unburnt fuel would be travelling into the exhaust.

Then at the last second before it stopped completely we would switch the ignition back on and all the unburnt fuel in the exhaust would ignite and sometimes explode.

Often the resulting 'Backfire' would remove the exhaust from the car so shortening the labour time associated with the repair.

Made one hell of a bang in an enclosed space, perfect for juvenile apprentices........Griff

stuurman

Free Member
Jul 26, 2008
in my van all over Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
as of may 28, 2009, fulltimer
Matchless...

When I was with the MP's in the late sixties, I was a courier on a motorbike called Matchless. I used to announce my arrivel by doing just that. One day the lieutenant was outside and was scared out of his green underpants by the explosion, so it got outlawed. Shame though, the cook started dinner at our loud arrivals! :shout:Hans.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Another thing is that if you're freewheeling to save fuel, apparently most new vehicles save more if you simply take your foot completely off the accelerator.

More info here: Broken Link Removed

Steve

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is it legal or not?

A friend said that it was illegal as you were not in control of the van.
the question should read 'who would know if you were free-wheeling ?'

an auto box has very little engine braking compared to a manual box, so it's effectively free wheeling down most hills

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Aren't you 'freewheeling' when you depress the clutch? (albeit only momentarily)

So it can't be illegal can it? :winky:

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
Freewheeling - Whilst the engine is at tick over, there is not enough vacume being created to operate the brakes effectively at speed.....
for those that do not have mechanically operated brakes.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Freewheeling - Whilst the engine is at tick over, there is not enough vacume being created to operate the brakes effectively at speed.....
for those that do not have mechanically operated brakes.
there should be more vacuum in the inlet manifold, which is where brake servo vacuum is take from, when the throttle butterfly is closed (tick-over).
the pistons are still trying to pull the correct amount of air through too small a gap causing a higher manifold vacuum.

brakes are tested at tick-over for the MOT and meet the minimum efficiency at least.

this is why a diesel engine has a separate vacuum pump.....no throttle butterfly in a diesel

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
the question should read 'who would know if you were free-wheeling ?'

an auto box has very little engine braking compared to a manual box, so it's effectively free wheeling down most hills

"Who would know" is irrelevant, John.
Not in full control is not in full control, that's it.

Aren't you 'freewheeling' when you depress the clutch? (albeit only momentarily)

So it can't be illegal can it? :winky:

A little tenuous, Bryan!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Once got nicked coming down Beattock in an Atki Borderer with 2 10 ton coils of steel on. The Gardner governor came in at 50 MPH so we used to knock it out of cog coming down big hills on the motorway,which was much quieter then.
The traffic cop said I was doing 78 but booked me for doing 63 which carried a smaller fine. I must add I was young and foolish in those days. Not so now...or so I would like to think so.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I know 'coasting' defo used to be illegal but I have this thought somehwere at the back of my brain cell that they lifted that, yonks ago, when we had that fuel shortage ..... seem to recall saying this to husband #1 in a traffic jam going downhill one day at that time, when he was coasting and that was his answer.

No idea if he made it up to shut me up or what? I mean he wasn't prone to lying, we hadn't fallen out, I wasn't otherwise giving him an earful or owt, it was just a comment eg Oooh you bad boy, cos you is coasting! whilst we were on the way home from work. If they hadn't said that, he could just as easily said I know but I'm doing it to save petrol - and I'd still have been perfectly happy.....

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
there should be more vacuum in the inlet manifold, which is where brake servo vacuum is take from, when the throttle butterfly is closed (tick-over).
the pistons are still trying to pull the correct amount of air through too small a gap causing a higher manifold vacuum.

brakes are tested at tick-over for the MOT and meet the minimum efficiency at least.

this is why a diesel engine has a separate vacuum pump.....no throttle butterfly in a diesel

For those with good memories - Ford Pop - vacuum operated windscreen wipers -went slower the faster the engine was revving. (Reduced vacuum at higher engine revs):thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]I only freewheel when i run out off titty[/HI]:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm really looking forward to meeting you Yosser, if for no other reason than to explain exactly what the hell you are talking about on this here thread..................straight over my head........is it me?....Griff - Swift - Popeye, take your pick...........:RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
From the Highway Code :

Control of the vehicle (117-126)

Coasting.

This term describes a vehicle travelling in neutral or with the clutch pressed down. It can reduce driver control because
* engine braking is eliminated
* vehicle speed downhill will increase quickly
* increased use of the footbrake can reduce its effectiveness
* steering response will be affected, particularly on bends and corners
* it may be more difficult to select the appropriate gear when needed.

so it is not illegal, but if you were involved in an accident whilst free wheeling you could be guilty of not being in full control of the vehicle ..

Personally I think it is a stupid thing to do .. saves no fuel and puts you and others at risk ..

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
There you are see? - he wasn't fibbing! LOL

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Personally I think it is a stupid thing to do .. saves no fuel and puts you and others at risk ..

Speaking of risk....of me looking stupid, and because I might learn something useful here...

...if the hill was so steep that top gear had an engine-braking effect that meant you could go faster in neutral unless you used the accelerator, then you would save fuel wouldn't you?

Where's Jonny Ball when you need him?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
From the Highway Code :

Control of the vehicle (117-126)

Coasting.

This term describes a vehicle travelling in neutral or with the clutch pressed down. It can reduce driver control because
* engine braking is eliminated Agreed
* vehicle speed downhill will increase quickly Agreed
* increased use of the footbrake can reduce its effectiveness Not as common on modern cars.
* steering response will be affected, particularly on bends and corners only if you're a crap driver...many corners are taken at neutral throttle position, neither accelerating nor decelerating
* it may be more difficult to select the appropriate gear when needed. as above.

so it is not illegal, but if you were involved in an accident whilst free wheeling you could be guilty of not being in full control of the vehicle ..

my opinion only and not advocating free wheeling :RollEyes:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

"Not being in full control of the vehicle" at any time is an offence.
You wouldnt be charged with freewheeling, that's the evidence.
Not being in control would be the offence as such.

In saying it's not illegal, you'd have a hell of a job demonstrating that it is.
An accident isnt needed to bring charges.
Arguably, "not in full control" could be dangerous driving!

Accepting you dont condone it Jim, John, just making a point.
This has the makings of yet another "I do it so it should be legal, and everything else is wrong" threads.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Absolutely no argument from me John.. I was just quoting the Highway Code ...

If you coast during a driving test it is a 'major fault' and an automatic fail.. so that says it all

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
For those with good memories - Ford Pop - vacuum operated windscreen wipers -went slower the faster the engine was revving. (Reduced vacuum at higher engine revs):thumb:

Memories, memories - I had one of them, registration OLE 90, wonder what that would be worth nowadays? 1100 cc side valve engine, 3 forward gears, puke green, my first car....thanks for the nostalgic moment Taran.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back