GW +3500-continental problem? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We have been told by a few people that having a vehicle with a gross weight over 3500 is a problem on the continent. Has anyone had experience of this or have any info?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
No problems at all with my 4,500 kilo Hymer...

Sounds like normal motorhome dis-information which is handed out by people who really want to help, but don't always, by telling folk about what they have "heard or read" as opposed to what they have actually experienced...

JJ :Cool:

PS. Of course there might be a problem if you have the wrong licence...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Not problems as such, just a few things you can't do and a few things you should.
France is quite keen on imposing 3.5tonne limits in their towns, particularly those with small streets and the like. You could find yourself going round in circles trying to avoid them. It may seem at times that you can't get to the camp site, but there is always a way round.

French law restricts vehicles over 3.5t to slower speeds on the roads. You should also display the black on white background speed limit stickers on the back. I was told by a french motorhome owner that this wasn't necessary, because he didn't :Doh:. (To be honest we are only over 3.5t because we up-plated to 3.85t, so we still look like a sub-3.5t vehicle, but we're not going to risk the wrath of the Gendarmerie by ignoring it).

And that's all I can think of.

Oh no! One more thing. Some camp sites don't want heavy vehicles on their lovely grass fields so may not let you on. We have only found one such however, so we went to another site a mile down the road.

By and large common sense rules OK.:thumb:

John

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
We have been told by a few people that having a vehicle with a gross weight over 3500 is a problem on the continent. Has anyone had experience of this or have any info?

The only +3500Kgs 'problems' I initially experienced were the lower speed limits and different toll charges/systems (Austria & Switzerland).

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I read with interest the posts on lower speed limits abroad.
Any MH with an unladen weight of 3050KG or above is limited to 50mph on single carriageway roads and 60mph on dual carriageways in this country too!
Since this rule applies to most 3500KG+ MHs due to their higher unladen weight, I don't see how it can be any more disadvantageous abroad than it is here!:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a question I must ask......why worry ?

in the past I had a 1999 kontiki 640L and a 2001 kontiki 640L

one was a 2.5ltr 3500kg and the other was a 2.8ltr 3850kg and, if I still had both, I defy anyone to tell me which was the heavier when stood side by side !

unless you got pulled and weighed no-one would be any the wiser if you were speeding or not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back