LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having had cruise control on my yanks as standard would like it fitted to my European MH. This is an older model with manual transmission.
Has anyone had it retro fitted and was it successful. How expensive is it to have fitted and would you advise having it done on an older manual gearbox.
I understand the mechanics of cruise control on an auto box with a big yank motor thumping away with buckets full of torque but is it an option on an older European and what about cost.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I hhad it on my last smart car

Having had cruise control on my yanks as standard would like it fitted to my European MH. This is an older model with manual transmission.
Has anyone had it retro fitted and was it successful. How expensive is it to have fitted and would you advise having it done on an older manual gearbox.
I understand the mechanics of cruise control on an auto box with a big yank motor thumping away with buckets full of torque but is it an option on an older European and what about cost.

Like you I have it on my RV.. makes driving so much better on motorways, but have to be ready to hit the off switch when you hit the hills as I really changes down.. even worse with the haul/tow engaged.

But I had one as an option on my MK 7 type Smart (last of the old 4-2's) that was 8 years back and that had a triptronic gearbox with manual option. Very useful.. but that was an electronic unit.

not sure about older manual vehicles.

Bob

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Bob, My last 2 yanks have had the Cummins Alison combination of running gear and will come down to below 35 MPH before dropping a cog so have never had to think about switching the cruise off unless climbing the Atlas.
They will happily run up the Alberes from La Boulou to La Jonquera only dropping down from overdrive. The only doubts that I have are if the old Citroen 2.5 turbo diesel is torque enough to handle it. It has plenty of power but is more geared for speed than anything. The engine was designed for the Citroen CX which in its day was the fastest production diesel in the world, so its long legged if you know what I mean, and that's were I get my doubts. With it being a manual box I don't want the cruise to be disengaging all the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Can't help re cost, but my van (Hobby on Transit base vehicle) had a retro fit cruise control fitted when I got it. It was fitted by Conrad Anderson in Birmingham I think.

I find it of limited use, because as soon as the engine revs drop it cuts out, useful if on a totally flat stretch of motorway but any sort of incline needs help from your right foot:Sad:

regards

John

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Can't help re cost, but my van (Hobby on Transit base vehicle) had a retro fit cruise control fitted when I got it. It was fitted by Conrad Anderson in Birmingham I think.

I find it of limited use, because as soon as the engine revs drop it cuts out, useful if on a totally flat stretch of motorway but any sort of incline needs help from your right foot:Sad:

regards

John

These were my thoughts entirely. Big engined yanks are made for cruise control and possibly newer high torque diesels also but with an older high geared diesel am thinking that it would be more of a bind having to keep resetting it.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i have cruise as standard on the fiat 3.0 with 6 speed manual box there seems to be micro switches on both the brake and clutch pedals which disengages the cruise on pressing either of these.
on the whole it doesn't cause too much problem as i normally set it at about 55 mph on the motorways and if you press the gas it just returns to where it was before.

on the down side it seems to apply as much throttle as possible to get you back up to speed if you drop below where its set as quickly as possible.

admittedly on an automatic its a far superior concept though if you are going to be in 1 gear for a long time it does work well.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
These were my thoughts entirely. Big engined yanks are made for cruise control and possibly newer high torque diesels also but with an older high geared diesel am thinking that it would be more of a bind having to keep resetting it.

I have cruise on my Subaru Outback (Auto) and wouldn't be without it but on the manual van, as I say I find it of limited use.

John

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have cruise control on the Hymer, coupled with a 5-speed auto box (Sprinter base with 2.7 litre engine). I use it extensively on motorways and on free-running A roads and N/D roads in France.
I also have cruise control on my manual Subaru Outback. I use it quite a bit, particularly on motorways, but perhaps less so on other roads than in the case of the motorhome. This may be due to the lack of auto box on the Subaru, or that I tend to just sit back in the Hymer and drift along, whereas I'm more likely to be pressing on in the Soob.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It seems from the replies that cruise control is more suited to auto boxes than manual. I have had cruise in trucks with a manual box but then again big engine that is not doing much at 55 MPH. It was just a thought that I would have liked the ease of use of sitting back with my feet up.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I had cruise control fitted to my 1996 Iveco by Conrad Anderson some years ago.

It changed my touring life... arrive much more relaxed... I can do more miles per day... my knees don't get so sore... :thumb:

Manual box and 2.8 turbo diesel, inter-cooled motor... yes if I change gear or the engine starts to labour, it kicks out but how hard it is to move your thumb 4 cms and press the infra red operated control button on the steering wheel to re-engage it ? A damn sight easier than pressing your right foot on a pedal and holding it there for hours and hours...

Cruise Control ROOLS OK?

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks for that JJ, I was thinking of using my Gardner 180 cruise control till you came up with that little gem.
So you are in the retro fit camp and say its OK. That will do for me sir.:thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We have a 2006 Transit based M/H and had cruise control fitted earlier this year. We have not been out in the vehicle since without me saying how much I appreciate having had it done. Jean thinks I love it more than her! It has made journeys so much pleasanter.
I was relieved to find that it cost £350 fitted by Dave Newell and we were very well looked after by them. Worth every penny.
Wyn

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Fitted it to my 3.0litre Geist just a couple of months ago. Considering all the extras I've fitted this certainly ranks as the best money I've spent.

It cost me about £350, and had I lived closer to Dave Newel I would have got him to do it.

If you have the torque then it is absolutely well worth fitting. I noticed an earlier post talking about re-setting each time, No need it resets to last input or you can have two presets, piece of cake, get one you'll arrive more relaxed and probably save fuel if not your licence.

Mine is also a speed limiter, wouldn't spend the extra £20 on that part of it.

Griff

tonywolst

Free Member
Jul 22, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have a 2006 Transit based M/H and had cruise control fitted earlier this year. We have not been out in the vehicle since without me saying how much I appreciate having had it done. Jean thinks I love it more than her! It has made journeys so much pleasanter.
I was relieved to find that it cost £350 fitted by Dave Newell and we were very well looked after by them. Worth every penny.
Wyn

I'll second that, Dave fitted mine to a transit as well, nice tidy job, no messing around and been perfect, would'nt be without it, and he was £25 cheaper than anybody else.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

regards

John

John, if putting your foot on the throttle maintains speed then your cruise system needs looking at. It may just be excess slack in the operating cable which is very easily remedied. This is no slight to conrad anderson, things do sometimes need a tweak to restore them to as new operation.

JJ, I have a suspicion that it was me who fitted your cruise when I worked at conrad :-D .

Cruise control is one of the first things fitted to any motor vehicle that joins our fleet. Presently we have a '99 focus diesel, a 2000 focus diesel and our camper a 1996 Iveco turbo daily. All three have retro fitted cruise (by me of course) and all three are manual transmission. The camper also hauls our 1150kg exhibition trailer and the cruise performs faultlessly, only the steeper hills knock the speed down enough for it to drop out but that is usually accompanied by the need to downshift anyway.

D.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have it but I am not sure I should.

Let's face it - older people and x ton vehicles on cruise control don't really mix.

No offence but 70 mph, cruise control and heart attack are not good combinations.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Let's face it - older people and x ton vehicles on cruise control don't really mix.

No offence but 70 mph, cruise control and heart attack are not good combinations.

They do work at lower speeds.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
John, if putting your foot on the throttle maintains speed then your cruise system needs looking at. It may just be excess slack in the operating cable which is very easily remedied. This is no slight to conrad anderson, things do sometimes need a tweak to restore them to as new operation.

JJ, I have a suspicion that it was me who fitted your cruise when I worked at conrad :-D .

Cruise control is one of the first things fitted to any motor vehicle that joins our fleet. Presently we have a '99 focus diesel, a 2000 focus diesel and our camper a 1996 Iveco turbo daily. All three have retro fitted cruise (by me of course) and all three are manual transmission. The camper also hauls our 1150kg exhibition trailer and the cruise performs faultlessly, only the steeper hills knock the speed down enough for it to drop out but that is usually accompanied by the need to downshift anyway.

D.

OK Dave what sort of money am I looking at...Its a Peugeot Maxi chassis with the Citroen 2.5 turbo diesel.
You perhaps wont remember but you fitted an after market cruise to my Rockwood when you worked for CA. The original American one was up the spout and I had a new one fitted. I cant remember how much it was now as have been to sleep a few times since then.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

D.

Well Dave... I am really bad with names and faces but I do clearly remember that the man who fitted my cruise control not only did a great job but also did it with good humour and happiness. Thank you! :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We had Cruise fitted to our van in 2006 by Conrad Anderson. It makes motorway driving so much easier. When we go to France, we go at night- leave here at about 21.00. We get on to the M4, engage cruise and dont change gear till we get to Dover. Sorted:ROFLMAO:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
OK Dave what sort of money am I looking at...Its a Peugeot Maxi chassis with the Citroen 2.5 turbo diesel.
You perhaps wont remember but you fitted an after market cruise to my Rockwood when you worked for CA. The original American one was up the spout and I had a new one fitted. I cant remember how much it was now as have been to sleep a few times since then.

Hi Dave, for a 2.5 Ducato I'd suggest a dash mount command module (ZT11M) and you'll need a speed signal generator as that vehicle doesn't have a built in road speed signal. ZT35M is £335 fitted and the signal generator is £45 from memory so you're looking at £380 less 5% Funster discount.

Give us a call on 01952 587702 to confirm prices.

D.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Well there are lots of opinions here so you might as well have mine:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As most know I run Land Rovers they are all manual - Td5 have cruise fitted in the electronics - very very usefull - saves stress and fuel.
Have had it on a 300tdi manual - it was a complicated kit of levers and vacuum pipes plus solenoids etc - again its was very useful.

My personal opinion is they are well worth having - I think under certain circumstances you will always have to add a bit of right foot to climb a hill what ever happens.

All cruise units should disconnect if the brakes are applied or the clutch pedal is pushed down and with the land rover ones will disconnect if the speed falls below 28mph or the thottle is depressed for more the 10 seconds.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Actually.........................
The most common age for heart attack is 34 ( no idea why .. pos peeps not willing to admit they are not as young as they were and trying to compete with a 19 year old in some sport or other ? )

Conrad Anderson fitted one in my old van ( 1989 Fiat based Hobby ) and I fitted my own in our current van with close and considerable help and assistance from young master David Newall Link Removed

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
cruise controle.......yep ive got one of them on my 7.4 ltr v8 but i can not remeber the last time i used it,never think to use it, am i missing out?:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back