Best overall UK & European recovery ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Just about to buy an older MH and have decided to look for European & UK breakdown cover.

Are there any views on which company(s) come up with a good across the board package, we spensd a lot of time in France?

We will be travelling to France with the MH soon, so any ideas of who to approach and why gratefully received.

Thanks

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks lugnut

Is the recovery cover within continental Europe as comprehensive as within the UK?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you insure with Adrian Flux there breakdown is very good both in the UK and Europe. I have used them several times in Europe and they were very helpful. The only downside is that its the vehicle that is insured with them and not the driver. I moved over to ADAC several years ago as they insure the driver against breakdown and having several vehicles this was a better option for me.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Not stand alone insurance but the best

Being an RV (yank) owner, we have always had the issue of getting meaningful insurance for the vehicles and also breakdown cover.

I and a lot of others have gone down one of the following routes.

Safeguard Insurance have the most comprehensive recovery without limits and if over 3.5 tons a much higher recovery repayment off of French toll roads and duel carrageways. But it is sold as part of a full vehicle insurance - Safeguard are part of Swinton group and the insurance is via Alliance... not the cheapest, but you only get what you pay for.

To suppliment this I have ADAC which not only covers recovery it has a host of extras.. ADAC has 17m members in euope and can be used in the UK - has it's own free phone number and it is the AA that come out... but the ADAC membershio is a lot cheaper than the AA and is avialble for use all over Europe.

Have spent many an hour reading the small print on many policies on offer (that is what lawyers do).. watch out for the policies that limit you to 90 days overseas and also the number of times you can use the service.

The RAC policy has come under review on this site and the RVOC site and found to be very wanting .. I think it is called Arrivals.. may be OK in the UK, but no good for Europe. I also hear for the UK Britannia are good, but not again designed for European use in the same way as Safeguard. But as said the Recovery / breakdown on Safeguard is part of the main vehicle and cannot be purchased seperatly.

I have used Adrian Flux in the past (Brokers) for a number of American vehicles I have owned over 20 years. Just found them to be a little bit more expensive in recent years. BUt I am sure others have found a good deal with them.

Just read the terms and conditions... so few do not.

Bob

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
If you insure with Adrian Flux there breakdown is very good both in the UK and Europe. I have used them several times in Europe and they were very helpful. The only downside is that its the vehicle that is insured with them and not the driver. I moved over to ADAC several years ago as they insure the driver against breakdown and having several vehicles this was a better option for me.

Thanks Snowbird, there must be pros and cons for all recovery policies, just trying to get a balance that will suit our personal circumstances.

Have looked at the ADAC thread here, it does appear an attractive option but with the drawback of the website not working for non German addresses and the upfront initial recovery cost to be paid by the insured.
There would be some that if they have broken down and have to find money for repairs would prefer not having to pay 200 euros upfront for recovery too, even if the money was refundable?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
the same is true of all recovery off of French toll routes

Thanks Snowbird, there must be pros and cons for all recovery policies, just trying to get a balance that will suit our personal circumstances.

Have looked at the ADAC thread here, it does appear an attractive option but with the drawback of the website not working for non German addresses and the upfront initial recovery cost to be paid by the insured.
There would be some that if they have broken down and have to find money for repairs would prefer not having to pay 200 euros upfront for recovery too, even if the money was refundable?

Firstly you do not have to have a German address to have ADAC.. you call them bu phone in Germany, take out the cover and they send everything to you in the UK or wherever you are. They speak excellent English and I had no issues getting my paperwork and membershi card.

Secondly, as the French toll roads have authorised recovery agents..(they bid for the work) it is always paid for and then recovered from which ever company you go with.. You may have noticed I did say Safeguard had a higher recovery limit off toll roads for vehicles over 3.5 tons... that was in relationship to most RV's which are between 3.5 tons and 20 tons... But they have a lower limit that is for the sub 3.5 tons, which i suspect you are in a european motorhome.

Non authorised recovery companies are not allowed to enter the motorway system or recover off duel carrageways in France. A lot of us in the know, do not use the toll routes for many reasons, one being this.. the main roads can be as fast often. Plus being a 45' long rig Rv and trailer I refuse to pay the silly tolls in France. So I save toll money and know I can get a recovery if I need it off the toll routes. Horses for courses.

ADAC is a good value general recovery with many other benefits.. are you aware it has it's own air Ambulance? 17 helicopters? and the largest recovery network this side of the pond. look at the extras you get also in the policy then look at the AA and the RAC in the UK.. puts our companies to shame.

You will need to do much research, you are just scrapping the surface.

Bob

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Don't know were the 200 euros up front comes from as I have used ADAC several times here and in Europe being recovered twice and have never had to pay a penny.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is the toll routes it happens on

Don't know were the 200 euros up front comes from as I have used ADAC several times here and in Europe being recovered twice and have never had to pay a penny.

It seems to be the toll routes it happens on.

Bob

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
ADAC every time. Knocks UK organisations into a cocked hat :roflmto:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Just about to buy an older MH and have decided to look for European & UK breakdown cover.

Are there any views on which company(s) come up with a good across the board package,[HI] we spensd a lot of time in France? [/HI]

We will be travelling to France with the MH soon, so any ideas of who to approach and why gratefully received.

Thanks

Hi, when you say a lot of time ! :Smile:

If your trip is over 90 days be careful who you spend your money with.

We was going to change to RAC see here :
Broken Link Removed

And this: Broken Link Removed

If your going for more than 90 days check out your Insurance Policy because lots of those are 90 days. :Doh:

We stayed with Saga no restrictions on Insurance or Breakdown Cover.:thumb:

:winky: But you have to be over 50. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
safeguard has no limits re time

Broken Link Removed

If your going for more than 90 days check out your Insurance Policy because lots of those are 90 days. :Doh:

Safeguard has no time limits.... did all this research long ago and only resently re checked it was up todate.

As said use both Safeguard and ADAC each has a purpose that work together well.

Bob

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks for a terrific response to the question, it's all so helpful.

Off in a hour or so back to the UK, but will log back in to this by Friday evening.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
over 50

Broken Link Removed

I would love to be under 50 again Bob... mind you at a CC&C last year I had to produce my bus pass to get the old age discount.. I must look so young:Blush:

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is the same as an AA membership

Hi Bob (Slobdababob)

I understood that ADACs european cover is only 90 days. Am I correct???

Chris

It is issued to me from Germany on the basis I am in the UK.. there is nothing that says it is for 90 days in the UK or main land Europe.

Same for Safeguard no limits to time.

Bob

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
ADAC cover is for 365 days anywhere in Europe, all North African countries bordering the Med., it's the person who is covered, not the vehicle. Covers any vehicle you're travelling in - doesn't need to be YOUR vehicle. You get medical repatriation etc. even without a vehicle, in rest of world. In our experience if a European takes out insurance or breakdown cover he/she is covered in Europe, full stop - Uk being part of Europe. It's only here we've had problems with 90 day Euro cover and suchlike... :Smile:

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Sorry to butt in on this thread, but I've got ADAC, and I can't find what phone number to use if you breakdown in the UK. As far as I can see you have to phone Germany. Is this correct?

Malcolm

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Sorry to butt in on this thread, but I've got ADAC, and I can't find what phone number to use if you breakdown in the UK. As far as I can see you have to phone Germany. Is this correct?

Malcolm

I think its 0800 0289018, that's in my phone, but I don't have my members book here with me to confirm.
I think it connects you to the AA who will take your details.

Callum

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Don't know about ADAC or the others never used 'em. Always stuck with Greenflag in the UK, and Red Pennant overseas. Got all the bells and whistles with Greenflag for just over £120, no weight limit, no length limit, (as with AA,!) Professional Service!
Anything older than 15 years, to take it overseas you pay an extra, not to much tho, always had a good deal from both of them!

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I think its 0800 0289018, that's in my phone, but I don't have my members book here with me to confirm.
I think it connects you to the AA who will take your details.

Callum

Thats what i got to mate, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My numbers for ADAC:

1) Breakdown, 0049 89 22 22 22

2) Personal accident/illness, 0049 89 76 76 76

:thumb:

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Snowbird

"if you insure with Adrian Flux there breakdown is very good both in the UK and Europe. I have used them several times in Europe and they were very helpful. The only downside is that its the vehicle that is insured with them and not the driver. I moved over to ADAC several years ago as they insure the driver against breakdown and having several vehicles this was a better option for me."

We travel to and from France with 2 vehicles, now to be 3 with the new (to us) MH. Using ADAC would appear to be common sense. The only doubt I have is one is a panel van that is used at times for commercial uses, would this be covered?

slobadoberbob

Safeguard Insurance have the most comprehensive recovery without limits and if over 3.5 tons a much higher recovery repayment off of French toll roads and duel carrageways. But it is sold as part of a full vehicle insurance - Safeguard are part of Swinton group and the insurance is via Alliance... not the cheapest, but you only get what you pay for.

To suppliment this I have ADAC which not only covers recovery it has a host of extras.. ADAC has 17m members in euope and can be used in the UK - has it's own free phone number and it is the AA that come out... but the ADAC membership is a lot cheaper than the AA and is avialble for use all over Europe.

Bob, does the ADAC cover 4.6 tons everywhere? We have just bought a 19 year old Hymer with a GVW of 4.6 tonnes.

Secondly, as the French toll roads have authorised recovery agents..(they bid for the work) it is always paid for and then recovered from which ever company you go with.. You may have noticed I did say Safeguard had a higher recovery limit off toll roads for vehicles over 3.5 tons... that was in relationship to most RV's which are between 3.5 tons and 20 tons... But they have a lower limit that is for the sub 3.5 tons, which i suspect you are in a european motorhome.

Same question as above.
We do use toll roads a lot when travelling in France for business, guess it allows them to have some of the best autoroute in Europe that way, with civilised stopping places too without the time restrictions of the UK.

bobandjane

bobandjane, up to 6 months each year. Holiday home in France and part of our small business entails us being there a little, so for us your point is well made

We stayed with Saga no restrictions on Insurance or Breakdown Cover

A week or so ago, we had problems getting a quote from SAGA for this Hymer we have just bought. On persuing the matter it transpires that SAGA have recently changed from a panel of 30 underwriters to just two specific ones. The new underwriters are refusing a large number of older MH at the moment, that's their words. They also told me that they know they have problems with their new system, but hope to modify in the near future to make it more inclusive. Last, the manager asked if in a year's time if I would return to SAGA to attempt to get a fresh quote as he hoped that they would be back to their normal service.

It appears that with various vehicles to cover in European countries ADAC are the stand out breakdown and recovery system for us.

If when closer to retirement we want to register the MH in France, the ADAC would then only make the change to home country without other changes?

Can't thank you all enough

Jamie

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have a couple of cars, a 1991 Dethleffs and a lwb hi-top Transit van.
As I said above, YOU are covered whatever vehicle you're in, up to 7.5t, anywhere in Europe and all countries bordering the Med. 365 days. :thumb:

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We have a couple of cars, a 1991 Dethleffs and a lwb hi-top Transit van.
As I said above, YOU are covered whatever vehicle you're in, up to 7.5t, anywhere in Europe and all countries bordering the Med. 365 days. :thumb:

Fantastic, will call them tomorrow and many thanks.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ring Barbara Laurens on 0049 941 55673.

She is a very pleasant lady and speaks very good English.
She will just need your and partner's names, dates of birth, address.
She will ring you back within an hour with your membership numbers (one each if you have a partner - in which case you need to ask for 'Partnerplus') and 2 phone numbers - one for use in case of breakdown and one for use in case of illness/accident etc.
You will be covered from midnight of the day you contact her.
Paperwork will follow approx 10 days later but you can use the service armed just with the numbers she's supplied you with.

She will need your debit card numbers as with any online purchase.

In my case I used a welsh address and a french bank account, no problem at all.

If you move to another country all you need do is give her a ring with your new address.

:Smile:

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Exactly as you say stcyr, with one exception. You didn't mention that we would laugh the whole 15 minutes while going through the membership process, what a lovely lady.

This is customer service at it's best, the product doesn't sound too bad either.

One point I hadn't read anywhere on the forum. Recovery to attempt to repair the vehicle is possible up to 180 kms free of charge, ie if you prefer a particular repair place to another.

Along with that, if there were a larger or not immediately solvable repair problem, then recovery back home or to a local garage (to your home) is allowed.

For greater than 7.5 tonnes this recovery policy doesn't work, but for the rest of us who use several smaller vehicles it is a massive bonus.

Thanks all

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back