Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
I'm not sure if this is the best place for this question, but here goes.

I have just bought a 2004 Hymer C544K, which I collect on Wednesday.
The van is almost perfect with 16K on it.
BUT.....

The front standard black Fiat bumper is badly faded due to sunlight and has lighter patches. It's the only thing that spoils the appearance.

Does anyone know a way of restoring it to an even black?

Thanks

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
There is a product called Back to Black, aerosol can. Cheap way is rub an oily rag over the bumper !.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EJB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Suffolk (by choice)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1+
I've used everything over the years....I now use olive oil....it lasts for a few months before a recoat is required:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
All of the previous suggestions work.. I've also tried WD40.. but only lasts for a week or two

The very best I've found is Autoglyme Bumper Care.. only needs doing about twice a year..

Link Removed

It is also great on interior plastic trim, door seals, door steps, roof rails etc ..

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Haalfords do a couple different types

Have tried back to black and a couple of others.. normally have to do it a couple times a year to keep on top of it. I even do my wheelarches on the car carrier.. they also suffer like bumpers do... lucky in someways as I only have a small area on the bottom half of my bumper as it is chrome (Winnebago) .. but I also do the running steps rubber as well.

Bob

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
any light vegetable oil will do the job. If you really love your 'van you could splash out on baby oil.:Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Champers/John painted their's, don't know what with but its a superb job, hopefully they'll see this and tell us what they used:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Having read the post I decide to do mine again this morning

I use Mel from Halfords.. having had my mine jogged and as I had a couple of jobs to do on the RV this morning I have just done my front lower bumper on the Ford E350 cab..also did the wheel arches on the trailer while I was at it.

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi if you go down the paint route you have to spray the plastic with a special plastic seal/undercoat then you can use the paint on top :thumb:If you try to just paint it after a while it flakes off :Doh::cry:::bigsmile:
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Itt is the same for cars

Hi if you go down the paint route you have to spray the plastic with a special plastic seal/undercoat then you can use the paint on top :thumb:If you try to just paint it after a while it flakes off :Doh::cry:::bigsmile:
terry

It is the same for cars Terry.. most of the bumpers these days are plastic.. in the cash of my smart 75% is plastic.. the pain stays put, but if you get a scratch it is hell of a job to repair...

It does look much nicer on a motorhome than the grey or black pastic bumpers fitted. Having said that I saw the same cab as mine at Shepton show in a blue it looked horrible.. after thought it seemed and had a lot of scratches back to the plastic and made it look even worse. Save on the back to black or in my case MEL...

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am not that fussy Bob :ROFLMAO: it is just what I learned when I first painted the van 5 yrs ago ::bigsmile:Had to buy special U/C for plastic and another for the bare ali sheets :Doh::cry:::bigsmile:On the van before I simply painted the bumpers/skirts with hammerite smooth :thumb: looked good even if I say so myself :winky:
terry

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Champers/John painted their's, don't know what with but its a superb job, hopefully they'll see this and tell us what they used:thumb:

Yes we gave up on back to black as our bumper was badly faded, after thoroughly cleaning it , John used 1x Plastic Primer Tetrosyl 500ml and then the spray paint 2 x Tetrosyl Matt black 500ml, trade aerosol paints with some left over , whole lot only cost a couple of quid

If you see a bit of craze appear after the first coat of paint dont panic it will spray out on next coat

it drys very fast, soon as done one coat it was ready for next

we are very pleased with it
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have tried all the different oils, back to blacks etc and none of them last.

I used this last year on my bumpers
Link Removed

Still looking good.

Please note you do have to prepare the bumper well to get rid of anything that will stop the paint sticking but if you do that it looks as good as new.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have tried all the different oils, back to blacks etc and none of them last.

I used this last year on my bumpers
Link Removed

Still looking good.

Please note you do have to prepare the bumper well to get rid of anything that will stop the paint sticking but if you do that it looks as good as new.
:thumb::thumb: I used that on the dash of an old van -very good -forgot about it ::bigsmile: bet I still have a tin lurking in the garage :Smile:
terry

Perry

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Fiat swift Kontiki
Exp
Faded Bumper

I used a product on my very faded fiat bumper called 'Armorall' Protectant gloss finish. its for inside and out plastic work.
It didn't look great when it went on but it looks brand new now, a couple of weeks on.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
... Peanut butter (smooth) - no, seriously, works well :Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
just use plain old olive oil re treat every few months will shine like new :thumb:

Every few months???? Sod that for a game of soldiers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Paint the damn thing and get it over with.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back