Fiat/alko overheating rear steel wheels (1 Viewer)

bjet

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
england
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1990
Properly adjusted handbrake and disc systems yet wheels near their bolts reach 50 deg C after only 12 miles. Vehicle owned from new ( Dec 2007 ) and 20,000 miles covered. When rear jacked up and handbrake "off" , wheels rotate reasonably freely apart from slight initial "stickiness". There is no perceptible hub end-float present. Is it worth trying to adjust stub axle nut to give some end-float ? ( should be 0.025 - 0.10 mm according to Fiat )

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi and welcome to the fun:thumb:.

With regard to your possible overheating bearing the Fiat figures will not be relevant in the slightest if you have an AlKo chasis......sorry I can't be of any real help. I would contact AlKo before attempting any adjustments.
Brian

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
2 Things

1. Is there any noticeable blueing of the disc

2. Does it happen both sides of vehicle

If it ain't turning blue and it is the same both sides then I would say that 50degrees C sounds hot but I think you'll find that is acceptable.........Griff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Properly adjusted handbrake and disc systems yet wheels near their bolts reach 50 deg C after only 12 miles. Vehicle owned from new ( Dec 2007 ) and 20,000 miles covered. When rear jacked up and handbrake "off" , wheels rotate reasonably freely apart from slight initial "stickiness". There is no perceptible hub end-float present. Is it worth trying to adjust stub axle nut to give some end-float ? ( should be 0.025 - 0.10 mm according to Fiat )

Are the front brakes operating OK? Last year when I had overheating brakes, the problem was that the brakes on two wheels were trying to do the work of four, due to air in the other two brake cylinders.?
Just a thought!

OP
OP
B

bjet

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
england
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1990
Hot steel wheels, problem solved !

[The heating WAS caused by the drum brakes. Testing with the wheels jacked-up after travelling showed that there WAS frictional contact between the shoes and their drums. The solution was to further adjust their clearance so that free wheel travel was obtained. Alko use the Fiat components mounted on to their swinging-arm torsion suspension with a different set-up to the standard X250 chassis, so "fine-tuning" after the basic Fiat adjustments is necessary to obtain proper handbrake operation WITHOUT the heating problems ! Incidentally, the rear wheel bearings are cassette types and NOT taper-rollers. They are fitted to the stub axles with nuts torqued to 45daNm.
My thanks to all who posted replies ! Bjet :thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[The heating WAS caused by the drum brakes. Testing with the wheels jacked-up after travelling showed that there WAS frictional contact between the shoes and their drums. The solution was to further adjust their clearance so that free wheel travel was obtained. Alko use the Fiat components mounted on to their swinging-arm torsion suspension with a different set-up to the standard X250 chassis, so "fine-tuning" after the basic Fiat adjustments is necessary to obtain proper handbrake operation WITHOUT the heating problems ! Incidentally, the rear wheel bearings are cassette types and NOT taper-rollers. They are fitted to the stub axles with nuts torqued to 45daNm.
My thanks to all who posted replies ! Bjet :thumb:

I'm amazed, I was assuming you had discs on the back which is why I suggested looking for blueing on them. Spoke to my service manager and he said that 30 degrees is not unusual.

Glad you sorted it well done.

OP
OP
B

bjet

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
england
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1990
Overheating rear steel wheels on Fiat / Alko chassis

The rear brakes are " top-hat " castings with disc callipers acting on their "brims" and drum brake shoes ( for handbrake only ) inside the " hats".
Saab used this system on their 99 and 900 series cars, but on their front wheels. I never experienced any problems with the Saab brakes !
Thanks again for all replies. Bjet

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back