Selling on/trading in/part ex-ing (1 Viewer)

LickeyEndBlues

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
2years but caravanned for years
A bit ambitious this as we still don't have a vehicle! But.....

Having done lots of looking around we are firmly behind the idea of a VW T5 now, then trading up to more of a motorhome!! We are looking to buy something already converted/bespoke built from a "dealer" rather than private sale. I know we could get something cheaper but we are also looking towards what happens when we sell on. With caravans we are aware of what holds a price and what doesn't but here we are lost. I know that a "badged" vehicle conversion carries a premium, but that may reflect in the value later.

If we want the best retention of value is there a hierarchy of dealers where the initial build quality will help hold the price?
What conversions should we look out for? and more importantly what should we avoid?

I am happy for private messages about anything you may feel is contentious.

Cheers
Iain

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you're buying and expect to trade it in soon, you should aim to pay as little as possible, and preferably look for a private sale rather than a dealer. Its likely you may get back what you paid if you subsequently do a part exchange with a dealer, you won't if you've paid dealers prices for it. You need a recognised converter as home builds, however good, are difficult to sell on, and I don't think many dealers would take one.
Better still, if you can, try to get the van you want to keep in the first place, as changing vans will always cost you.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Treat self builds as kit cars - once you have looked around the vehicle, get to know the owner and see what he really knows!

Problem with self builds, as much as kit cars - anyone can build them! Some know what they are doing, some do not - some adhere to recommendations, some cut corners - your gamble!

Get to know build standards, and then you will be able to check if the basics have been adhered to, such as distances of gas lockers from appliances and length of pipework etc Problem with self builds, is that ANYONE can build one legally. electrics, gas all completed with no experience necessary - you wouldn't like a house that had been built by a novice and never checked! The gas and eletrics are the more expensive parts, and often this is where corners are cut, or they have misunderstood the regs.

It is for these pitfalls that you will rarely, if ever find self builds at a dealer...if you do they will be in the trade corner under the banner 'spares or repair' There may not be anything wrong with them, but a dealer cannot guarantee them for anything - risk liability is the main thing they are avoiding.

Dealers and private sales - to be smart, you probably need to buy from a dealer, and sell privately.

Dealers will have the back-up and support, warranties that will cover the expensive things (we had a gearbox replaced under one - £2500 saved!) and they will look after you.

Private sales are usually higher than forecourt prices - they were offered the trade in, didn't like the depreciation so decided to sell for what they condsidered it is worth. There are bargains out there, but get to know the prices!!

Again with self builds, there are no 'market prices' you can spend vast amounts of a vehicle, which you will never get back - so they try to get as much as they can (seen 30k spent on a transit!) and there are those that buy kits, spend 5k converting and then ask for motorhome prices....which they are never worth - you may as well buy the purpose built thing!

With motorhomes, layout has a lot to do with it, so plan it well! We are retiring one soon, and it actually has held it's value far greater than same models and age, but of different layout! Quite bizarre - and yes, it is the better use of space when we were looking. But the different layouts really can effect value by up to 5k!

Lots of research, get you head in the books, work out if you are going private or dealer, coach or self build.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The only loser will be you

It is a sorry fact that the only loser will be yourself. Dealers have a sizable mark up on what they sell.. know fact. Also new rules are just coming out regarding home builds and what is acceptible.. i.e it has to look like a motor home.. it is causing issues as have been reported in a recent MMM and other magazines... even the reconised van converters have concerns as they battle with meeting the regulations.

I would suggest you try and find your dream from any source and not just a dealer. private add in magazines to ebay .. do check and make sure the condition is as required, which I am sure you will do.. just because the tyres have good treads does not eman they are safe.. most motorhomers have to change tyres every 5 to 6 years due to wall damage.. plenty of tread.. My RV has had to have all tyres changed in it's 6th year..plenty of tread as it has only done 14,000 miles from new - use in the USA and the UK.. but the tyres were past there sell by date so to speak.

Check for damp... a cheap damp meet is worth buying.. question everything.. if the private seller does not know his own motorhome, the alarm bells start to ring... also the 'i am selling it for a friend' ... dealers may like to think they know it all... but a member of this forum recently purchased an RV from a dealer that normally only sold european mtorhomes.. he knew little about the item he was selling.. just because a dealer has a flash show room does not mean he knows everything about every type and mark motorhome.

Have a look at people like Johns Cross who advertise on the forum and is a member or any of the other companies .. look and ass what is about then jump in.. self builds and ambulance conversions made be good for some people.. but you may find camp site will refuse you. buying a brand ...well you have those that say this brand or that brand... but buy what is right for you.. it took me nearly 2 years to find my present RV... and I have been motohoming over 20 years. OK I knew what I was looking for, but I was investing a lot of my money and time.. it has to pay off.

Good luck.

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Iain,I am a self builder :thumb: but if you are looking to buy a t5 then trade in later forget anything self build (unless it is a very good S/B for next to nothing)Anyone going down the S/B route (making a good one) usually ask decent prices :thumb: and lots of dross think they too can ask decent prices :Doh:They and you will soon realize you have lost a shed load of money by buying a shed :winky:Buy something like an Autosleeper at th right money (they are out there):thumb: then run it and trade in for the coach build or better still go straight for the C/B :thumb:If you do go for a S/B you usually find people keep good ones for a long time :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
LickeyEndBlues

LickeyEndBlues

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
2years but caravanned for years
Many thanks people. Each time we get to a point where we have made a decision it changes!! I think the above info will be really useful if further fine tuning.

Key thing we want at the moment is something which is a viable second vehicle here. We don't want to get into storage issues which is why the campervan as opposed to motorhome per se. Used quality campervans seem to be like hens teeth. Seen plenty I wouldn't put a dog in ..... maybe we are too fussy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hendrixfan

Free Member
May 4, 2010
Hastings, England
Funster No
MH
Ambulance conversion
Exp
We found our Talbot Express Autosleeper (RIP) the perfect second vehicle. Very well laid out and good use of space, plenty of headroom and only the same length as my Volvo estate, so easy to park. ..and you can easily remove the back seats to do house removals!
Still bitter about our loss...

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
A bit ambitious this as we still don't have a vehicle! But.....

Having done lots of looking around we are firmly behind the idea of a VW T5 now, then trading up to more of a motorhome!! We are looking to buy something already converted/bespoke built from a "dealer" rather than private sale. I know we could get something cheaper but we are also looking towards what happens when we sell on. With caravans we are aware of what holds a price and what doesn't but here we are lost. I know that a "badged" vehicle conversion carries a premium, but that may reflect in the value later.

If we want the best retention of value is there a hierarchy of dealers where the initial build quality will help hold the price?
What conversions should we look out for? and more importantly what should we avoid?

I am happy for private messages about anything you may feel is contentious.

Cheers
Iain
if you ant a true home from home then look at an American RV lots more for your money far better build with sturdy units and good power unit go for petrol+ LPG for good running cost :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back