Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Right, fellow funsters,, here is my second question of the day,,,

We are as most of you know the owners of a Rapido and we have had two solar panels (80W) and an extra battery fitted.
We now have two, yes TWO things that I can press to find out the Vots, amps, sunlight hours, the temprature in Mumbai etc. BUT. What does it all mean...

Volts, what is Good, bad, fire up the engine?
Amps. lost on me.....
Watts - Yep that got me, we were kicking in some 120+ in Northern France, far better than watching TV, up and down went the Watts.

So come on you techie heads, spill the beans...

Oh yes the temp in Mumbai was made up....

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Take care watching the solar regulator Dave...It becomes addictive. I cant walk past it without checking whats happening:ROFLMAO:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Right, fellow funsters,, here is my second question of the day,,,
We are as most of you know the owners of a Rapido and we have had two solar panels (80W) and an extra battery fitted.
We now have two, yes TWO things that I can press to find out the Vots, amps, sunlight hours, the temprature in Mumbai etc. BUT. What does it all mean...
Volts, what is Good, bad, fire up the engine?
Amps. lost on me.....
Watts - Yep that got me, we were kicking in some 120+ in Northern France, far better than watching TV, up and down went the Watts.
So come on you techie heads, spill the beans...
Oh yes the temp in Mumbai was made up....

Voltage is the potential to cause current, to cause something electrical to happen. A 12 volt car battery has 12 volts of potential. Nothing happens unless that battery is connected to something, like a headlight bulb. A 240 volt household outlet has potential, but nothing happens unless you plug something into that outlet and turn it on.:ROFLMAO:

Current is the flow of electrons. When you connect that battery to that headlight bulb, current flows, which causes the light to turn on. :ROFLMAO:

Resistance is the ratio of the two, R = voltage divided by current. If the bulb has 4 ohms of resistance, then the current is I = E/R = 12/4 = 3 amps.:ROFLMAO:

The power used by the bulb is voltage x current, in this case, 12v x 3 amps or 36 watts.:ROFLMAO:

Re shock, it takes 10-20 ma of current (0.020 amp) to cause a shock and possible death. but that current is caused by a voltage, and the higher the voltage, the higher the current, and the higher it hits.:smalllove::smalllove:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Voltage is the potential to cause current, to cause something electrical to happen. A 12 volt car battery has 12 volts of potential. Nothing happens unless that battery is connected to something, like a headlight bulb. A 240 volt household outlet has potential, but nothing happens unless you plug something into that outlet and turn it on.:ROFLMAO:

Current is the flow of electrons. When you connect that battery to that headlight bulb, current flows, which causes the light to turn on. :ROFLMAO:

Resistance is the ratio of the two, R = voltage divided by current. If the bulb has 4 ohms of resistance, then the current is I = E/R = 12/4 = 3 amps.:ROFLMAO:

The power used by the bulb is voltage x current, in this case, 12v x 3 amps or 36 watts.:ROFLMAO:

Re shock, it takes 10-20 ma of current (0.020 amp) to cause a shock and possible death. but that current is caused by a voltage, and the higher the voltage, the higher the current, and the higher it hits.:smalllove::smalllove:

Thanks for that Buttons, but can I stress,,,, Voltage for Idiots

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010

Are you a member of the IET per chance? :thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
For me all I need to know is the voltage of my batteries. Never allow them to fall below 11.5 according to my handbook so I never allow them to fall below 12v.

If you let the batts fall below 11.5 the chances are you will damage them.

Hows that Hilda? :thumb:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Great, at least you understood the 'Voltage for Idiots' bit.... So can disregards the 12.4v being 50% and the 12.26665543335676v being fine for bacon rolls, gas mark V etc....

Why cant they make a meter that states Yes ok or Not a hope

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Great, at least you understood the 'Voltage for Idiots' bit.... So can disregards the 12.4v being 50% and the 12.26665543335676v being fine for bacon rolls, gas mark V etc....

Why cant they make a meter that states Yes ok or Not a hope
Because the first question you would ask is.....what does that mean. Why cant they give me more info so I know what is happening. :cry::Confused::Confused::Confused::drink:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
My 1998 Hymer has a red light that comes on when the voltage gets too low, I would guess your Rapido will have one too somewhere on the control panel.:winky:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Because the first question you would ask is.....what does that mean. Why cant they give me more info so I know what is happening. :cry::Confused::Confused::Confused::drink:

Sorry to confuse Buttons me old mate. We have sat there Boggle eyed keeping tabs on that meter....

"Look its dropped to 12.5v, switch off the last remaining light, get the torches"

I think I need to cover it up, we cant live like this, chained to the V meter. I may have to invest in an iphone app so that I can monitor it remotely and have an e-mail sent if the damn thing falls below, 12.2v.

We may have to sell the TV so that we can manage the extra Watt/Amp/Volt/Kelvin whatever. Its driving me and Mrs ShiftZZ and Snowbird ga ga..

So as it stands if we stay above 12v we are fine?

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My 1998 Hymer has a red light that comes on when the voltage gets too low, I would guess your Rapido will have one too somewhere on the control panel.:winky:

Red light, Jeeze I will have to watch that as well....

ShiftZZ (Searching for iphone app and red light - (some strange results obtained, what has Amsterdam and Bangkok got to do with my Rapido????)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sorry to confuse Buttons me old mate. We have sat there Boggle eyed keeping tabs on that meter....
"Look its dropped to 12.5v, switch off the last remaining light, get the torches"
I think I need to cover it up, we cant live like this, chained to the V meter. I may have to invest in an iphone app so that I can monitor it remotely and have an e-mail sent if the damn thing falls below, 12.2v.
We may have to sell the TV so that we can manage the extra Watt/Amp/Volt/Kelvin whatever. Its driving me and Mrs ShiftZZ and Snowbird ga ga..
So as it stands if we stay above 12v we are fine?
When Mrs ShiftZZ is having a shower in the van, and you are doing the washing up. Does she scream when you turn the tap on full.:Eeek:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Gonna have to butt in here ShiftZZ.

If you had a bucket full of water sitting on your kitchen worktop and this bucket had a tap at the bottom of it. The water is the potential.

Now if you stand real close and open the tap the potential will shoot out all over your trousers, this is the flow or current.

Now potentially anyone who looks at your trousers for the next hour or so will think you have a weak bladder, this is known as a bloody good laugh, and if they make mention of it in a derogatory fashion this is known as a P*ss take...............Okay now.

............................Griff..............
:thumb:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Gootcha there me old Popeye....

Colostomy bag in wellies keeps feet warm, no more embarresing wet patches.

Anyhow, you are just trying to confuse me..

So 12v or 12.1v or better is ok? Right?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

................Right

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Rubber boots and rubber gloves for the incontinent electrician. Sounds like safe working practices. :rain:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Is this a reasonable chart?

Less 10,5V: - battery fully discharged, all user-/consumers must be turned off !

10,5V bis 11,5V: - battery fully discharged user-consumption should be limited

11,5V bis 12,2V: - normal operating condition at 12 V during energy usage

12,2V bis 12,5V:- well-charged battery

12,5V bis 12,8V:- battery fully charged

12,8V bis 14,2V:- no energy being drawn from battery

more than 14,4V:- condition reached only by over-charging

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Not quite IMHO Hilda

11.5 or less turn everything off until recharging is possible. (or risk damaging batts)

14.4 just means your battery is on charge whether that be hook up. solar or engine.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Don,nt bother with all that amps and volts malacky, got no solar power or sat tv, if some thin aint working, just get it fixed or get a new battery, it seems to me everything is getting to technical, i,m only after a bit of camping and a chat with friends:Smile:, and of course a bevy or three.......Del

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Is this a reasonable chart?

Less 10,5V: - battery fully discharged, all user-/consumers must be turned off !

10,5V bis 11,5V: - battery fully discharged user-consumption should be limited

11,5V bis 12,2V: - normal operating condition at 12 V during energy usage

12,2V bis 12,5V:- well-charged battery

12,5V bis 12,8V:- battery fully charged

12,8V bis 14,2V:- no energy being drawn from battery

more than 14,4V:- condition reached only by over-charging

Just to throw another question on your thread Dave how many watts does a large fridge and freezer in a motorhome use when its drawing current / power(on):Eeek:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just to throw another question on your thread Dave how many watts does a large fridge and freezer in a motorhome use when its drawing current / power(on):Eeek:
I bet the answer is 75hp at 4 Amp at -27oC, 13.7v, 12Kelvin. I'm going to stick with that,,

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back