LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The heater in the van has refused to light. Its a Truma Trumatic S5002 K. It has an auto ignitor. I took the front off and expected to see a small battery box with a AA battery in there, but alas no. It has a board . Damn.... I Googled the board and its £91 OUCH. Before spending this sort of money can anyone give some advise as to testing it or even advise on whether the board has gone or maybe something else.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
The heater in the van has refused to light. Its a Truma Trumatic S5002 K. It has an auto ignitor. I took the front off and expected to see a small battery box with a AA battery in there, but alas no. It has a board . Damn.... I Googled the board and its £91 OUCH. Before spending this sort of money can anyone give some advise as to testing it or even advise on whether the board has gone or maybe something else.

Try looking at the gap and cleanliness on the spark plug, other wise you can get an aweful lot of boxes of matches for £91. :RollEyes:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Wheres the spark plug....Am a diesel man. I dont understand spark plugs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not a spark plug in the true sense but a small brass pilot flame tube just after the jet housing....should have a 1/16th-ish rigid wire, coated in a white ceramic material, pointing to the end of said tube....this is the spark electrode.

press the igniter and look see if the spark jumps from the wire to the brass tube...if it doesn't then probably the igniter boards failed

if it does spark you may have a thermo couple failure......thats a bare copper tube about 1/16th with a brass bulb on the end above the brass tube, it controls the gas valve and needs to be in the flame when the burners running.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

If you take the front of the fire off (Grille) and locate the gas jets, (horizontal manifold width of the fire) there will be a bent bit of wire poking out of a porcelain insulator, could be the wire has worn leaving a gap too large for the spark to jump to the body of the gas jets, carefully bending the wire closer to the jets might cure the problem.

Johno1

Free Member
May 10, 2010
North East England,
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
newbie, ex caravaner
I had a problem with a Truma water heater not igniting, symptons were automatic ignition failing to ignite gas and timing out, traced to a hailine crack on the anti surge chamber,replaced chamber and it worked immediately must be looking at water pressure and fails safe if low press.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi Dave... I had trouble with my Hymer heater igniter and, as a temporary measure, I used an old push button Piezo lighter wired up to the sparker. After all, I thought, all the box and battery (or in your case circuit board) does is supply a high voltage "jolt" to the sparker,... worked a treat... I posted boringly all about it some time back...

JJ

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dave if you have no luck with any of the above try ringing Truma direct they are based around Derby ::bigsmile: I had a problem with a circuit board on one of there products and I was quoted around £95 for a new one from a couple of caravan spares shops :Eeek: When I rang them direct the tech guys talked me through a couple of checks to make to establish fault/s and I found out off him that the boards were only £45 new / exchange :thumb:Cut a long story short my mate had a look at it for me changed about 5 bits free of charge -capacitors etc,-and it worked as good as new
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back