Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hi

Here is another newbie question. When do people usually drain down the boiler in their motorhomes. I use mine for work so barring extreme weather will be staying in it several nights a week over winter so not sure what to do as I dont want it to be damaged but dont want to drain down the whole system when I am still using it.
Thanks in advance for any tips:Smile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi if you are using the van quite a bit over the winter just leave the heating on low if possible then you shouldn't need to drain the system.
most boilers have a frost dump valve so you may find if it gets too cold it could dump the water itself.

best thing really is to keep the van warm alot of people use those small oil filled radiators and just leave them on whilst the van is parked up where possible to do so.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Defiantly go with the oil filled radiator if its an option. Or make sure you have plenty of gas to keep it ticking over at night. Last week when the temperature dropped, we got up to find ours had dumped! So now plugged in and keeping above freezing point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi

Here is another newbie question. When do people usually drain down the boiler in their motorhomes. I use mine for work so barring extreme weather will be staying in it several nights a week over winter so not sure what to do as I dont want it to be damaged but dont want to drain down the whole system when I am still using it.
Thanks in advance for any tips:Smile:
put lagging on all the pipes you can find
put a small heater in the area of the water tank if temp is set to drop below 0
a little prevention will save you £££s

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions sorry.

If you have a double floor and the waste tank is in this space then you can push it more than those that have the waste tank underneath.

You do however need to look after the fresh water tank and all internal plumbing.

Keeping the internals of the van over 8C should see you safe on that front. If you have an under slung waste tank it is hard to advise directly as it depends on how it is routed. If the waste tank is internal then all you need to do is as above but leave the waste drain open.

Sorry I can't be specific on this.

I live in mine full time. I have an under slung waste tank and will be panicking this year should it get down to freezing point...... the fresh tank and the boiler and everything else will be totally fine::bigsmile:. However if it is anything like last year the waste tank will freeze solid and neither of my sinks nor my shower will drain.... It will require some fettling underneath to ensure I am not inconvenienced.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back