12V issues (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, I think my battery has packed in. Symptoms. 12 v lights etc work when connected to hook up. But not when disconnected. Battery indicator does not register. Test meter shows battery as 10.8v. Will be away tomorrow so if it doesn't charge from alternator I think it can only be the battery. Apparently it was replaced not long brfore I purchased the MH but looks to be a cheap one. Any advice or tips welcome.:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Apparently it was replaced not long brfore I purchased the MH but looks to be a cheap one. Any advice or tips welcome.:Smile:

Then was the real fault the charger and now the new battery is dead ?

What voltage across the battery when hooked up ?

If it's that 10.8V mentioned pull the + connector off the battery to see if it is pulling the charger down and if the charger is working properly it should jump to 14V(ish).

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
No doubt some one that knows will be along soon but i think that somewhere in your motorhome there should be a switch which allows the ehu to charge your battery and maybe this has been knocked to the off position

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RKE

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just sold ours!
Exp
Hi, I had a similar problem after I had collected my van from new.....

In my case the aux battery had been run down by the cleaners who were preparing the van for collection.

I had a 30 mile journey from dealers to my home during which time a fuse had blown because the battery was too flat to be charged from the alternator!
Worth checking all fuses in circuit I think......but I'm no expert by any means! :winky:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a run down battery can pull a lot of amps to charge, blowing the fuse in the process. If the battery has been at 10.8 for any length of time it is most likely an EX battery. Do check fuses, and charge relay to ensure battery is actually getting a charge. Does it need topping up or is it a sealed battery. Is it an only leisure battery or one of a pair. Is the switch in the correct position to accept a charge from EHU. Do you need help in using a multimeter to check? If so let us know.

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for assistance. Found a fuse had gone but don't know the route cause of the fuse blowing. I will be carrying a test meter and spare fuses from now on.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RKE

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just sold ours!
Exp
Thanks to everyone for assistance. Found a fuse had gone but don't know the route cause of the fuse blowing. I will be carrying a test meter and spare fuses from now on.:thumb:

My best guess would be that at 10.8v the batt would be pulling too much current from the alternator charging circuit and so 'blowing' the fuse.

Charging via the mains onboard charger would avoid this problem if the batt was allowed to become that discharged..........I think!! :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back