DUKEMAN358

Free Member
Oct 27, 2011
HAMPSHIRE
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
Given I just joined today, trying to get a good competitive Motorhome quote, I searched this forum to be warned of a few dodgy companies but have not found the 'best of the best' list. Who do you recommend to use for a swift 580 over £25k?

I have some quotes which vary greatly also the limitations. So far the best all round option is through Swinton giving me breakdown, legal, on road cover and not insisting I use my no claims from my car.

Thank you in anticipation

Globalempire

Free Member
May 7, 2011
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi

I normally spend ages checking quotes via the internet when insuring our cars but when we got our first motorhome recently I gave Comfort a ring and got a quote of £286, this includes legal cover and European breakdown for a £30k motorhome.

Seemed like such a reasonable price I paid up then and there and didn't bother with any others. Didn't want to know about no claims discount either.

Might be worth giving them a ring.

Paul

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So far the best all round option is through Swinton
Thank you in anticipation

Used them from the start and never found better. Quite reasonable to deal with over the phone. We got Morocco at no extra cost. We pay about £350.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
I use Caravan Guard, did get a slightly cheaper quote from Saga last year but when I rang CG to cancel they came up with a better quote altogether so I've stayed with them.
Geoff.

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Has anyone heard of or used "Staveley Head" or "The Motorhome Broker"? I've tried using the goCompare motorhome quote system and they were the two cheapest quotes.

Last year I got cover from Campton Insurance Brokers who have their own web quote facility. Luckily I don't know how good they are with claims but the quote was cheap.

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Hi

I normally spend ages checking quotes via the internet when insuring our cars but when we got our first motorhome recently I gave Comfort a ring and got a quote of £286, this includes legal cover and European breakdown for a £30k motorhome.

Seemed like such a reasonable price I paid up then and there and didn't bother with any others. Didn't want to know about no claims discount either.

Might be worth giving them a ring.

Paul
Be careful with Comfort. I was with them last year and upon renewal my no claims bonus was missing. When I phoned them they told me they have stopped using no claims and I couldn't get a proof of no claims from them. I went back to caravanguard who still had a record of my no claims from last year and they honoured them for this year. If I had been with Comfort for more than a year I would have lost my no claims bonus.:Angry:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't know how they fare with others, but they were cheaper than Hastings when my renewal came through, I used Camping and Caravanning Club insurers as they also do my road recovery.... not sure if they are the cheapest but they saved me quite a bit of money at my last renewal. Joy

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We are with the Caravan club ,£236 on a 2002 carioka, bells and whistles included,
BUT! we have taken Green Flag separately, more bells and whistles!!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
which ever insurers you use its worth checking the small print.

i just insured the RV with Sureterm direct....£408 fully comp protected.

when i checked the policy wording i had windscreen cover with a £1000 limit per claim.

not much good for a screen costing upwards of £2,500 per half screen :cry:

insurance cancelled with full refund as they misinformed me at the quote stage.

OP
OP
DUKEMAN358

DUKEMAN358

Free Member
Oct 27, 2011
HAMPSHIRE
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
I've got a couple of weeks to go yet and have tried sureterm, caravan club, crusader, numerous so called compare sights and the quotes vary from 'will not quote' to circa £340. At the moment the leader is still Swinton as they list very clearly all of the benefits

Safeguard Assistance is included in every policy, giving you peace of mind knowing that you have AA Breakdown cover throughout the UK and Europe - with no size or weight restrictions
2 years new-for-old replacement if your motorhome is written off within 2 years of you buying it new and has covered less than 15,000 miles
Unlimited windscreen and body glass cover
Unlimited Annual European cover
Personal effects cover up to £3,000
Audio cover up to £1,000
Portable generator cover up to £500
Unlimited motorhome awnings & gas bottles cover
Damage caused by exploding gas bottles covered
Replacement driver if the only driver is taken ill when you’re abroad
Optional Drivers’ Legal Protection - offering up to £100,000 legal expenses cover – in the event of a non-fault motor accident to handle your personal injury claim and any claim for damage to your motorhome not covered by your policy.

This looks pretty good to me and this does not require transfer of NCD and parked on the road. Also get £20 cashback through the cashback site! The underwriters for this is Allianz which I've heard of but hjave no experience of claims.

Thanks for your comments and help.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
comfort was the best for me prices all varied from 350 to 1000 lol that's a difference
i had no no claims to move over and also had a claim from another insurance i had to declare
and still got it for 350 including full breakdown includin euro cover although the 350 was due to a discount because it will be stored in a casso gold site but with out the would be 390 so still was good

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Has anyone heard of or used "Staveley Head" or "The Motorhome Broker"? I've tried using the goCompare motorhome quote system and they were the two cheapest quotes.

Last year I got cover from Campton Insurance Brokers who have their own web quote facility. Luckily I don't know how good they are with claims but the quote was cheap.

Staveley Head contacted me, unsolicited. Then she told me "We don't insure Americans"
Jim
:roflmto:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

I normally spend ages checking quotes via the internet when insuring our cars but when we got our first motorhome recently I gave Comfort a ring and got a quote of £286, this includes legal cover and European breakdown for a £30k motorhome.Paul

I'm currentley with IC Choice. The quotation documentation I recieved from them identified A N Other Insurance company as being the Insurer, When I got my Insurance documents through they were Aviva. I had a look at the Aviva web site and they say on there that they no longer Insure Motorhomes and that the Insurer is Comfort with the underwriter being Aviva. :whatthe:

That means that there are at least 4 Brokers/Insurers/Underwriters with their snouts in the trough. Throw claims for whiplash in there and you can see how the premiums mount up.
Jim
:Eeek:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I've got a couple of weeks to go yet and have tried sureterm, caravan club, crusader, numerous so called compare sights and the quotes vary from 'will not quote' to circa £340. At the moment the leader is still Swinton as they list very clearly all of the benefits
We Insure our cars with Swinton. I asked them about mh Insurance and they said that they use Adrian Flux who I already had a quote from.
Jim
:Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Nothing to do with Motorhomes but if you insure anything through AA I have a warning.

Received my contents policy renewal this morning. Usual crap they managed to find another insurer £7 cheaper. No need to do anything if I am happy as I pay by dd blah , blah.

I kept reading the form. it confirmed what I always say such as my locks are NOT BS compliant , I don't have an alarm ( I do actually), I don't have dead locks fitted, I don't have window locks.

I then read the endorsement to the new policy that said I would not be covered for any theft unless I had locks which are BS compliant , I have dead locks fitted, and window locks etc.

From experience I don't give insurers a chance of not paying out on a claim so I always tell them I have crap locks , no alarm etc.

So why , having listed what I have do the AA recommend a policy that is totally innapropriate for me and in fact worthless? I hope to find out when I speak to the gits tomorrow.

They are supposed to be my agents for goodness sake. I suspect the new insurer pays them more commission.

They did exactly the same last year but I let it go but this time I have it in for them.

So if you do insure through the AA please read the endorsements to the policy.

I hope you don't get a shock:Angry:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Nothing to do with Motorhomes but if you insure anything through AA I have a warning.

Received my contents policy renewal this morning. Usual crap they managed to find another insurer £7 cheaper. No need to do anything if I am happy as I pay by dd blah , blah.

I kept reading the form. it confirmed what I always say such as my locks are NOT BS compliant , I don't have an alarm ( I do actually), I don't have dead locks fitted, I don't have window locks.

I then read the endorsement to the new policy that said I would not be covered for any theft unless I had locks which are BS compliant , I have dead locks fitted, and window locks etc.

From experience I don't give insurers a chance of not paying out on a claim so I always tell them I have crap locks , no alarm etc.

So why , having listed what I have do the AA recommend a policy that is totally innapropriate for me and in fact worthless? I hope to find out when I speak to the gits tomorrow.

They are supposed to be my agents for goodness sake. I suspect the new insurer pays them more commission.

They did exactly the same last year but I let it go but this time I have it in for them.

So if you do insure through the AA please read the endorsements to the policy.

I hope you don't get a shock:Angry:

They're all the same. I had one quote that required a warranteed Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm and Immobilser.

Now I have a working Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm and Immobiliser but its not warranteed. The warranty bit was in very small print. If I had taken the policy and my mh had been stolen, they would never have paid out.
Jim

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
They're all the same. I had one quote that required a warranteed Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm and Immobilser.

Now I have a working Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm and Immobiliser but its not warranteed. The warranty bit was in very small print. If I had taken the policy and my mh had been stolen, they would never have paid out.
Jim

Its scary because a lot of people (me included 10 years ago) wouldn't read the small print. Think about old people etc they place their trust in the likes of the AA and wouldn't dream that the AA would sell them a duff policy.

As your post demonstrates, you need to expect the worse and hope for the best which isn't good enough.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back