Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
just read a small article in mmm (page 204 3g around europe) in which a chap says he has used a kindle 3g while touring france and had free internet access without any reception problems. being a complete numpty on these matters it seemed to be perfect for us, but also too good to be true, could any funsters "enlighten" me on this as in my experience if something seems too good to be true... it usually is ! , answers in very simple terms please as (a) i am very simple
(b) i will have to explain to she who must be obeyed

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi I have the non 3g kindle but ken aka kesbruce has the 3g and used his in France in the summer im sure he will be along later to give you advice. My brither has one and has used it in Spain he said it was a bit limited and fiddly but managed to connect all the time.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, we have a 3g and yes we used it in France and yes its free, a bit slow, but it works.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its slow, but OK for checking emails. JJ uses his in Portugal to have his morning paper delivered via whisperlink, so as not to wake him::bigsmile:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I have no problems downloading books in rural France--even sitting by a quite remote lake!

The actual internet communication is slow and rather primitive but if all else failed it would do.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
just read a small article in mmm (page 204 3g around europe) in which a chap says he has used a kindle 3g while touring france and had free internet access without any reception problems. being a complete numpty on these matters it seemed to be perfect for us, but also too good to be true, could any funsters "enlighten" me on this as in my experience if something seems too good to be true... it usually is ! , answers in very simple terms please as (a) i am very simple
(b) i will have to explain to she who must be obeyed

Yes we used ours all over Northern and Central France. No problem at all tho as said a tad slow. We used it for Fun, checking our bank/credit cards and e mail.
Stay away from graphics and it is great for nowt. ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Bottom line they pay the internet data charges, any internet browsing cost them money so they won't make it nice and slick for you. It's the worst browser I can remember.

OP
OP
SPUD'N'T

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
thanks everyone... most helpfull

thanks everyone, the boss has given me the "green light" after reading your posts, just a case of finding the cheapest now ! (well i am a yorkshireman) £150 seems to be the norm

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Mine seems fast for downloading books but is really clunky and slow for anything else....you get there eventually but its a pain as others have said.

I just use mine for reading books now ...and brilliant it is :)

barry

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Bottom line they pay the internet data charges, any internet browsing cost them money so they won't make it nice and slick for you. It's the worst browser I can remember.

True Brian but it is for nowt and is far better then paying the charges in the EU. :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just bought one for Win, £149 postage free rcd next day from Amazon :thumb:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Could you not have took her to the local fleamarket and bought 3 books for a £1:00p would work out cheeper the time it takes win to read a book​

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back