TomTom Europe Essentials question (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I very rarely use my tomtom. I have had it for 5 years now and have finally gotten round to updating it.

I have decided to load a few POI's on it etc.

Can anyone recommend the bare essentials please.

I have a McDonalds wifi one.

I am have Vicarious all the aires guide to France.

I will be travelling through France to the South of spain and want to avoid using campsites....

I am thinking the following may be useful???
Spanish Aires (not sure what they are called?)
LPG stations in France and Spain?

Can anyone point me in the direction of good quality POI files for the TomTom please?

Thanks

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My sources tell me that your TomTom was less than reliable not that long ago and got you lost in Coventry...:ROFLMAO:

so...

before POI insertion...

How about up to date maps? :winky:

JJ:Cool:

(with TomTom's latest Live Services and Google Search you can find most things you want/need with a press of the touch screen... I recommend it...)

Seriously though, a fellow vanner has given me a huge POI file which includes parking spots and water points all over the continent... so if you visit (with pies) maybe I will let you have a copy...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I very rarely use my tomtom. I have had it for 5 years now and have finally gotten round to updating it.

I have decided to load a few POI's on it etc.

Can anyone recommend the bare essentials please.

I have a McDonalds wifi one.

I am have Vicarious all the aires guide to France.

I will be travelling through France to the South of spain and want to avoid using campsites....

I am thinking the following may be useful???
Spanish Aires (not sure what they are called?)
LPG stations in France and Spain?

Can anyone point me in the direction of good quality POI files for the TomTom please?

Thanks
Hi Karl,

I think these two will contain many more locations than "All The Aires".
Bordatlas Stellplatz POIs
and,
Campingcar-infos Aires Click on enter (center of page), then click on Telechargement GPS on the top left.

These cover Aires and Stellplatz etc all over Europe.

HTH,

Jock.

Edit.......As JJ says, updating the maps would be ideal first. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My sources tell me that your TomTom was less than reliable not that long ago and got you lost in Coventry...:ROFLMAO:

so...

before POI insertion...

How about up to date maps? :winky:

Did that this morning lol. The 5 year old maps just don't cut it when councils change the one way routing in a city center:Doh: And that was the first time I had used the TomTom in ages. It would have to be in front of Maz wouldn't it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Send me your GPS coords and you never know an FB pie or two may arrive :thumb:

Jock: thanks for those. They should help no end.

Usually when I am in France I just pootle around until I find somewhere to park but this time there are a few constraints so have to plan ahead a little....

Thanks Guys

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Karl,

I think these two will contain many more locations than "All The Aires".
Bordatlas Stellplatz POIs
and,
Campingcar-infos Aires Click on enter (center of page), then click on Telechargement GPS on the top left.

These cover Aires and Stellplatz etc all over Europe.

Jock.

Huh?? I already had both of these loaded on my TomTom. I don't remember doing them :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

Just LPG stations in France and Spain now if anyone can point the way :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just LPG stations in France and Spain now if anyone can point the way :)

I suspect the French ones will swamp your TT, whereas you can write the Spanish ones down on the back of a beer map - Olly's Google map was quoted by Jim recently.

Of course the gotcha in France now is whether they will allow you to fill anyway. You stand a good chance with an outside filler. Best to go for gas first so they might think you run on gas.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Can anyone help explain what happens when a memory card is in use? My Garmin didn't have space to update the maps so I inserted a memory card and downloaded them onto there. Now I get messages saying that my maps are not up to date but not sure whether this refers to what is in memory or what is on the memory card. Does the satnav automatically work from the card or does it need to be directed to do so. The manual tells you very little about this.
Wyn

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I suspect the French ones will swamp your TT, whereas you can write the Spanish ones down on the back of a beer map - Olly's Google map was quoted by Jim recently.

Of course the gotcha in France now is whether they will allow you to fill anyway. You stand a good chance with an outside filler. Best to go for gas first so they might think you run on gas.

I didn't realise that built into tomtom software is a browser for software and POI's. I have just put a couple of LPG ones in and they seem to have covered france nicely ::bigsmile:

My LPG filler cap is right at the back of the van (on the side) where you would expect it to be for a van running on the stuff. Hopefully this will fool them:winky: You can see the piccy on my blog.

Thanks....

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You can see the piccy on my blog.

Thanks....

You're in with a good chance. If you peel Gaslow off the cover you'll find AUTOGAS under, I've filled that in with a black marker to help further the deception.

It's a *scary* moment hitting the can with a cutter that size, isn't it.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You're in with a good chance. If you peel Gaslow off the cover you'll find AUTOGAS under, I've filled that in with a black marker to help further the deception.

It's a *scary* moment hitting the can with a cutter that size, isn't it.

Thanks for that, I will investigate the sticker shortly ::bigsmile:

Not scary for me, I have been cutting holes in vans for a number of years.
Doing the first one was a little worrying as it was on my Brand new Hymers roof 2 days after I had bought it... Since then I just dive in lol.

Just counting up the holes in this van, 10 holes bigger than 10mm and another 14 smaller than 10mm. More of a seive than a van :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And that excludes all the holes in the roof for the solar panel mountings.......

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I didn't realise that built into tomtom software is a browser for software and POI's. I have just put a couple of LPG ones in and they seem to have covered france nicely ::bigsmile:

My LPG filler cap is right at the back of the van (on the side) where you would expect it to be for a van running on the stuff. Hopefully this will fool them:winky: You can see the piccy on my blog.

Thanks....

do you have the LPG / GPL adapter for France and Spain if you have an external filler , we had ours from Autogas I also bought a GPL Sticker which thought may help them see it was an external filler although we have not fixed it on yet

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks guys. Took the sticker off and it now says autogas ::bigsmile:
I bought all the adapters as part of a kit. Got the whole lot just in case.....

The files are the up to date POI. I must have done it when I was playing with it 3 weeks ago or so to find out how to update the maps. I have slept since then and had a drink so the memory must have faded:Doh::ROFLMAO:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
do you have the LPG / GPL adapter for France and Spain if you have an external filler

Thanks for the heads up on this Kath, I didn't realise that I would need a "Euro Nozzle" for filling the Gaslows in Spain.:thumb:

Thanks to Jock as well, I have been meaning to load up Bord Atlas POI's onto my TomTom. I loaded them on and then realised that my Western Europe map does not include Germany.:Doh:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I loaded them on and then realised that my Western Europe map does not include Germany.:Doh:

Huh? I have just bought the western Europe Update (cheaper one) and it includes Germany..

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ireland, Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Canary Islands, the Vatican City

They could have dumped the islands and the vatican city for me though:winky:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for the heads up on the maps Gromett. I had a map update subscription for my 730GO which has just expired. The original Western Europe mapping on it did not include Germany, as it was on the Eastern Europe map.
I will have to consider purchasing the new inclusive European mapping.

Brisey.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back