NO more steamed up mirrors-neat washing up liquid (1 Viewer)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I remember reading somewhere that motorcyclists use neat washing up liquid on their visors to avoid them steaming up.

Today (pre shower) I used kitchen towels to apply some neat washing up liquid to the bathroom mirror - and low an behold (post shower), it didnt steam up.

Anyone know why ::bigsmile:

S

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I remember reading somewhere that motorcyclists use neat washing up liquid on their visors to avoid them steaming up.

Today (pre shower) I used kitchen towels to apply some neat washing up liquid to the bathroom mirror - and low an behold (post shower), it didnt steam up.

Anyone know why ::bigsmile:

S

This is an old trick I used in the 60s and 70s on coaches as they didn't have demisters, just a small 12v heating element as a DIY add on. The other trick was to just open the windscreen slightly. It did nothing for the driver or passenger comfort though. Windscreens in those days were not just one big pane of glass.

They sold pads with demister inside and told people to put some washing up liquid on it when it stopped working. I have two shammy pads that I put a drop of washing up liquid on and it works for weeks. Too much and you get suds on the glass.

I use this method now on my Hymer cab windows as they mist up if the Silverscreens are not put on in cold weather.

I believe it works by making the fine water droplets mass together by the action of the washing up liquid and form bigger droplets that run down the window.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup.. most bikers use it to stop their visors steaming up .. Works a treat :thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Being of a mature age I haveheard of many methods of stopping the mirrors to stay mist free.

I remember one trick was to rub a potato cut in half over the mirror. Don't know if it worked as I always turned my cut potatos into chips!!!

craig.drake

Free Member
Oct 3, 2010
queensbury
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since may 2010
i put it on my specs before i go for a run ,you can also buy stuff called rainox it goes on car windows to stop them steaming up i recomend it to my customers who have condensation problems after new double glazing helps it form on the outside of windows

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Being of a mature age I haveheard of many methods of stopping the mirrors to stay mist free.

I remember one trick was to rub a potato cut in half over the mirror. Don't know if it worked as I always turned my cut potatos into chips!!!

Dunno about stopping steaming, but it certainly works as a de-icer

RKE

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just sold ours!
Exp
I used to use it on the inside of my swimming goggles and it worked! :Smile:

All the 'anti mist' goggles were useless. but the washing up liquid did the trick!

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
AMWAY had a product in a spry that demisted all types of glass works a treat but i have not seen Amway for many years but they are still out there:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back