Not Another Reverse Polarity Question, well .... (1 Viewer)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Thought I'd plug the Kipor into the motorhome for the first time (ok ok, if it's good enough for JJ and Roadrunner .......) and the onboard display is warning me of reverse polarity. :Sad:

I'm using my usual EHU cable which is fine at home, and on site, so I googled it like you do and it's opened up all the usual can of worms with Kipor's floating earths mentioned among many other things.

With toast and coffee at hand I will await Funsters knowledgeable band to put me at ease - or not. :Smile:

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Thought I'd plug the Kipor into the motorhome for the first time (ok ok, if it's good enough for JJ and Roadrunner .......) and the onboard display is warning me of reverse polarity. :Sad:

I'm using my usual EHU cable which is fine at home, and on site, so I googled it like you do and it's opened up all the usual can of worms with Kipor's floating earths mentioned among many other things.

With toast and coffee at hand I will await Funsters knowledgable band to put me at ease - or not. :Smile:

All generators are floating earth. AC is alternating current 50 times a second between +ve and -ve. Your onboard display may not like it but it should do no harm. Just dont touch the teminals and you will be OK.

I ran generators for 10 years on a storage site (warden) 24/7 and came to no harm other than being covered in oil when I checked the oil once and didn't put the filler cap back on properly. The generator was inside a shed and the oil hit the roof when I restarted it and showered me in hot oil. Standing outside of the caravan naked in sub zero temperatures trying to scrub oil off yourself is no fun.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sorry I can't be of much help... you probably wouldn't want to do what I would do (stick a sticker over the reverse polarity warning sign... out of sight out of mind)...:Eeek:

I really only replied to show you my new avatar...:ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
All generators including Kipors I believe have an earth terminal, if you were toconnect that to an earth spike the warning will disappear. most don't both and come to no harm.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You are going to die:Eeek:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
your not supposed to start the genny in reverse :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Maybe after yesterdays result Rolf, you might want to not worry about it and hope it knocks you out only to wake up when it the noisy neighbours quieten down a bit :winky:

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I really only replie to show you my new avatar...:ROFLMAO:
JJ :Cool:

At least I was there JJ, unsurpassed success over many years makes one a bit blase about these things. City deserved a 3-1 win, the rest was suicide attacking play from United. Think Fletcher's goal was the best of the game though. :Smile:

your not supposed to start the genny in reverse :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh, I was pushing the start cord, was I supposed to pull it? :Doh:

Maybe after yesterdays result Rolf, you might want to not worry about it and hope it knocks you out only to wake up when it the noisy neighbours quieten down a bit :winky:

I just ignore the tv and the papers for a few days Paul, as JJ says, out of sight out of mind. :Smile:

wolly

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
ripon n yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
40 plus motorhoming and tugin
wolly north yorkshire

QUOTE=Rolfarris;491213]Thought I'd plug the Kipor into the motorhome for the first time (ok ok, if it's good enough for JJ and Roadrunner .......) and the onboard display is warning me of reverse polarity. :Sad:

With toast and coffee at hand I will await Funsters knowledgeable band to put me at ease - or not. :Smile:[/

take a wire from your plug and join nutral to earth and your reverse polarity light will go out.and it is safe to do so. i have done this with my honda hope it helps you.:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
take a wire from your plug and join nutral to earth and your reverse polarity light will go out.and it is safe to do so. i have done this with my honda hope it helps you.:thumb::thumb:[/QUOTE]

Just to make sure I get this right, you mean open up the 13amp plug and join the neutral and earth pins with an extra wire?

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
it is quite safe, just dont play with anything electriacal while plugged in, as roger said if you want it to go out get a piece of copper pipe drill hole in one end and attach a wire, hammer into ground the attach other end of wire to the earth point on your genny - light will go out

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
if you want it to go out get a piece of copper pipe drill hole in one end and attach a wire,[HI] hammer into ground [/HI]the attach other end of wire to the earth point on your genny -[HI] light will go out[/HI]

yeah.. because you've just spiked the underground mains cable ... :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back