Memory foam mattress toppers - any good? (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
We're going on our second weekend away next weekend since buying our MH, and I'm planning on sleeping in the overcab bed - BUT - the mattress seems very thin, and may be problematical for my old bones, so I was thinking of buying a memory foam mattress topper. They look pretty expensive though, around £80 or more for a small double 2" topper, so I thought I'd seek advice first from you lot before committing to a not inconsiderable expense.

Anyone else used memory foam toppers for a similar reason? Do they work? Is a 2" enough?

Any thoughts and comments eagerly awaited.

Mike

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks to all - looks like I'll be investing. Is 2" enough though (ooer missus!) on top of another (thin) mattress?

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Very good i use a 3 inch one.
Aldi's have them at the moment for £39.99,

S

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

bandit

Free Member
Oct 2, 2011
Widnes,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
toppers

good evening torchwood,we bought two single toppers when we where out in germany at a big goldwing rally,me and pam swear by them,they are really comfortable.i would look round a few more places to buy £80pnds is alot of money to spend on comfort.all the best and good hunting:thumb:

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Mattress toppers

Hi,

We bought two Douvalay's for the caravan, which we are going to use in our new motorhome.
Fed up with making up a bed from the settee cushions then putting sheets and sleeping bags on etc, I decided to invest in the Douvalays. i have to say the other half was against it " this is not proper caravanning" but now she would not part with them!!!

We did away with all the bed making - just unroll them and lay them on the upturned cushions and you do not feel any of the joins at all

Ours was 1.5" thickness and was excellent. you might not need the douvets so just a memory topper with your normal bedding would be fine.

just to say the new van has a French bed - progress at last!!!!:thumb:

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We love our 2" one but beware of thinking deeper is better. A few years ago we bought a 4" one for our caravan and couldn't turn over! :roflmto:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We use a 2" topper in our van - different layout but same manufacturer so probably similar upholstery to yours. 80 quid is a bit steep though, I would have thought. We got ours off a market trader at a bank holiday Car Boot sale at Stokesley a couple of years ago.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
wwe have tyhe same things in our RV

Hi,

We bought two Douvalay's for the caravan, which we are going to use in our new motorhome.
Fed up with making up a bed from the settee cushions then putting sheets and sleeping bags on etc, I decided to invest in the Douvalays. i have to say the other half was against it " this is not proper caravanning" but now she would not part with them!!!

We did away with all the bed making - just unroll them and lay them on the upturned cushions and you do not feel any of the joins at all

Ours was 1.5" thickness and was excellent. you might not need the douvets so just a memory topper with your normal bedding would be fine.

just to say the new van has a French bed - progress at last!!!!:thumb:

We have the same things.. but Raskelf made ours to a special order.. larger size of the topper and the duverlay.. not cheap, but they do work.. We have had extra covers made as well.

At home we have a topper on our bed as well... works well.

Bob:thumb:

Upvote 0

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
They are fantastic to sleep on. I think either Lidl or Aldi have them in about £40 if my memory serves me , which is not very often these days I admit:roflmto:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We're going on our second weekend away next weekend since buying our MH, and I'm planning on sleeping in the overcab bed - BUT - the mattress seems very thin, and may be problematical for my old bones, so I was thinking of buying a memory foam mattress topper. They look pretty expensive though, around £80 or more for a small double 2" topper, so I thought I'd seek advice first from you lot before committing to a not inconsiderable expense.

Anyone else used memory foam toppers for a similar reason? Do they work? Is a 2" enough?

Mike

Hi Mike
Yes we have them home and MH nice addition to the bed's. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Very good i use a 3 inch one.
Aldi's have them at the moment for £39.99,

S

They are fantastic to sleep on. I think either Lidl or Aldi have them in about £40 if my memory serves me , which is not very often these days I admit:roflmto:

Beware if buying these they used to sell 2 ins thick (50 mm) but they were made up of 20 mm of memory foam and 30 mm of normal foam :Eeek: so you only bought a 20 mm one :winky:
terry

Upvote 0

grandadbaza

Free Member
Jan 20, 2010
Habrough, N E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail
Exp
One of the best additions we have made to the MH , we have the full monty on our bed at home , only problem with home one its that thick we can harly move it to change valance and bottom sheet
Would deff recommend the 2 " one for the MH:Smile:

Upvote 0

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Bought the 4cm thick Duvalay (special offer of 2 season quilts with storage bag) before last trip for use on m/h sofa. Expensive but brilliant. Have a bad back and made huge difference! Have tried self inflating roll mats and inflatable mattresses before but no-where near as good. Would love to buy a thin double Raskelf topper with sheet that zips on for the overcab bed as would be so much easier than climbing up there trying to fit sheets etc but can't quite afford it at the moment. Its on my 'to save for' list.

Daisy2

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi, We bought a Super King Topper from Dunhelm £54.99 for a 180cm bed, it doesn`t get too warm like some. well impressed. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
We bought 2 single 2" Raskelf memory foam toppers from one of the outdoor motorhome shows we went to and this was approx 5 years ago now! At that time we had a Kontiki with a rear lounge that you had to make up into a bed each night. The toppers made an incredible difference and were so comfortable and they turned an uncomfortable bed into the most luxurious mattress!

We still use them now, even though our motorhome has fixed beds with cold foam deep mattresses fitted and I just love the sensation of sleeping on memory foam. I suffer with ostreopososis and I find my topper really eases my discomfort immensely.

Treat yourself you won't regret it I promise you.

Sue

Upvote 0

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
I just use a cheap quilt and find that is Ok.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Many thanks to all for the comprehensive advice. :thumb:

Having measured the over cab bunk and found it to be a non-standard size (width OK at 120 cm but length 207 cm) and having shopped around on t'internet quite extensively I've ordered a made to measure job, 75 mm deep, for £70.00, including delivery, which is I know more than many of you paid but time is a factor.

Looking forward to next weekend and a nice snooze! :winky:

Upvote 0

ianbird

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1999

Mike

Get yourself a coolmax memory foam mattress it has a brilliant cooling fabric to stop you sweating through the night!

Upvote 0

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
From the states

Like Mike stated originally I wanted a topper for our bed. I looked at loads but found the ones vailable in the UK were not the right size for my particular bed, (made from the Dinette) and I wanted something that could be easily stashed, offering the firmness and cooling qualities I wanted. I ruled out a few 3" and 4" versions becuase they would not be easily to stash away when not needed and in some case because the memory foam element was on a % of the actual Mattress. Anyway to cut a long story short. I ordered this from an American company. It arrived within a week but beware the advertised price does not include shipping and taxes that doubled the original price. For me it was worth it.

http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Ba...ory-Foam-Mattress-Topper/4368655/product.html

Upvote 0

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Memory foam, i'm jealous as my memory is fading and this foam seems to remember better than I can!!!!
Memory foam, brilliant stuff for hard motorhome beds. we have twin fixed single beds and I purchased a double topper and cut it to size. Have travelled for two years with it now and we would highly recommend buying.
Regards

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

Mike
HAVE ONE ON THE BED AT HOME AND ONE IN THE MOTOR HOME BEST THING EVER FOR A COMFORTABLE NIGHTS SLEEP:thumb::thumb::thumb:
ALDI DID A DOUBLE MATTRESS FOR £70 I GOT ONE FOR THE RV :thumb::thumb: VERY GOOD

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back