Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
I may be wrong but I think I remember a story some years ago where villains sold letters like this to caravans and sat on the bridges of the M5 and just waited for them to pass so they could go and rob there houses concerned

Ebay item Link Removed

Am I being a bit suspicious ?

Rob

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I may be wrong but I think I remember a story some years ago where villains sold letters like this to caravans and sat on the bridges of the M5 and just waited for them to pass so they could go and rob there houses concerned

Ebay item 290615883218

Rob
it is plausible so check the roof before you go away

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Swap your letter about.

Instead of LN2 4SF tell them LN4 2FS for example. Bugger, that won't work they will send them to the wrong address :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I didn't think that one through did I.....

However I would put the registration number on the roof.
The police helicopter could see that easily and the PNC would allow them to match that to you....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Ebay item 290615883218

Rob

Normally you would only put the vehicle reg. no on the roof supposedly for any passing police helicopter can see it if the vehicle is reported stolen.

Even if you put your postcode on the roof I think it unlikely crooks would sit for hours on a bridge on the offchance of a suitably marked van to pass under:Eeek:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hey yosser be careful smudger might tell her :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I saw this story on ebay a while back. From memory, some bloke had had a right hump about it and spent £15 per month warning people not to buy them on his own Ebay page.

I think I cantremember is right why would you sit on a bridge everyday to wait for a van to come by so you can go and rob the house, not knowing that there might still be someone at home any way? Why would you just not go round the house and see if the van was there?

way to complex and something that as a professional burglar, I have too say you wont see me on a motorway bridge, :thumb:
Right off to Yossers mother in laws, see ya later:thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
It'd be a bit difficult to identify a house from a French postcode as mine covers at least 6 villages, and an endless number of hamlets.
In UK doesn't the postcode cover a block of buildings?

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
It's the first time i have heard this, but i would discard the feasibility of it along with the gassing stories. A load of rubbish.

Craig

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
It would be a lot simpler to sit at the end of a road & wait for the resident to leave. :Doh:

I'm sure even the thickest toe rag is capable of working that one out.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I have heard this story before and I believe it has worked.

Toe rags sit on a motorway bridge with lots of traffic going towards holiday destinations, ie M5 South on a Saturday morning. They take the Post Codes from the top of vehicles, locate the address code from yellow Pages or BT.com and then visit the area.

Talk to neighbours saying something like " does that bloke live around here who's got a motorhome, I think it is for sale". neighbour replies, in all innocense, "yes, he lives at No.?"

Thief knocks on the door, no reply, forces an entry and steals, gets a reply ask's "if the motorhome is still for sale" and then says "sorry, must have got the wrong address. thank you and Goodbye"

Jobs a good-un. simple

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
So if the prey were to go north on holiday, how long would the idiots sit on this motorway bridge for? I don't buy it.

Craig

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
The sitting on the M5 south is only an example, they could sit on the M6 Northbound in Cumbria and do the same trick on people heading to Scotland for example.

Just think about it, if you saw a vehicle which was in Cumbria and the post code was say somewhere in Devon it is unlikely that the person on holiday is going to be back home very soon. especially if you have a network of associates who you can 'phone and tell them where to investigate. it can happen

We had a case recently where 2 youngsters entered house via small open windows, opened the front or back doors and then the adults came in and stole. All the kids did was obtain some form of easy entry for the adults. over 60 homes where burglared in this manner.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Very very few properties in the UK can be identified from a post code.
Mine for example you have a choice of 3 streets 6 shops 80 + houses and aMoT station,Good luck:RollEyes:
I cant even find a bloody camp site from its post code 9 times out of ten:Doh:
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The sitting on the M5 south is only an example, they could sit on the M6 Northbound in Cumbria and do the same trick on people heading to Scotland for example.

Just think about it, if you saw a vehicle which was in Cumbria and the post code was say somewhere in Devon it is unlikely that the person on holiday is going to be back home very soon. especially if you have a network of associates who you can 'phone and tell them where to investigate. it can happen

We had a case recently where 2 youngsters entered house via small open windows, opened the front or back doors and then the adults came in and stole. All the kids did was obtain some form of easy entry for the adults. over 60 homes where burglared in this manner.

And they all had Motorhomes with post codes on the roofs
Amazing:Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
mine is 3 houses only

Very very few properties in the UK can be identified from a post code.
Mine for example you have a choice of 3 streets 6 shops 80 + houses and aMoT station,Good luck:RollEyes:
I cant even find a bloody camp site from its post code 9 times out of ten:Doh:
Geo

My post code Geo is for 3 houses only.. but I think this is much like the gas while you sleep.. someone knows someone whos great uncle had it happen to them.

We get enough scrouts breaking in without the need for them to read a post code on the roof.. The tell tale sign here is the RV and trailer are not on the drive... most burglary is local committed and they notice things like a massive RV and the 20' trailer and car gone.

Oh well.... :cry:

Bob

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Go to this link and see how quickly you can find an address from a Post Code?

Some will give a large No of properties, some only 2 or 3.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I am having trouble understanding how people can actually believe this nonsense.

Would be robbers hundreds of miles away, clock a MH with a post code on the roof, and happen to either remember the PC, or have a convenient pen and paper to hand to take down the details, and then by chance have an equally dodgy mate who happens to live in the area the MH has come from, and inform them that the property is empty cos' they have seen a MH or caravan on a motorway.

Give me strength!

Craig

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Heard a similar story a while back about name and address labels on holidaymakers' luggage being noted down and the house burgled while the owner's in Majorca or wherever ...:Smile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Yeah right! What a lot of nonsense......:Eeek:

Why would someone sit for hours on a bridge somewhere and use this as a MO for burglary.

Ok, he could copy the postcode, then have to travel long distances in the hope that he could identify the house, from a number of houses or street.

Once, if ever he finds the house, it turns out it has a quality alarm and quality locks and deadlocks or even worse the rest of the family are in......
:cry:

Surely it's far easier to choose a house with rich pickings and just to inject gas through the letterbox so all the occupants will fall asleep only to wake up to find all their belongings gone....... You know it happens, right.......:Doh:

Opportunist burglars would not bother with such time consuming efforts, and serious burglars have better far MO's than this...

Load of old Bollards .......:shout:

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
ID put the mother inlaws post coad on top of the van:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

An Irish gypsy type walked up the drive and into the back garden of a former property I lived in with a former wife, and the former m-i-law said when asked how much she wanted for the van(my former motorhome self built)....
"they are away on holiday for two weeks, we are just house sitting till tommorow so no use calling back next week as there is nobody here try in two weeks time to see if my son-i-law wants to sell it"
was her reply...

she related this story with pride that she had helped find a buyer....

so yes yosser id put the ex m-i-laws postcode on mine evry time he he

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Swap your letter about.

Instead of LN2 4SF tell them LN4 2FS for example. Bugger, that won't work they will send them to the wrong address :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I didn't think that one through did I.....

However I would put the registration number on the roof.
The police helicopter could see that easily and the PNC would allow them to match that to you....

I had my 'cris' reg no. on the roof of our caravan

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Yeah right! What a lot of nonsense......:Eeek:

Why would someone sit for hours on a bridge somewhere and use this as a MO for burglary.

Ok, he could copy the postcode, then have to travel long distances in the hope that he could identify the house, from a number of houses or street.

Once, if ever he finds the house, it turns out it has a quality alarm and quality locks and deadlocks or even worse the rest of the family are in......
:cry:

Surely it's far easier to choose a house with rich pickings and just to inject gas through the letterbox so all the occupants will fall asleep only to wake up to find all their belongings gone....... You know it happens, right.......:Doh:

Opportunist burglars would not bother with such time consuming efforts, and serious burglars have better far MO's than this...

Load of old Bollards .......:shout:

They don't have to travel anywhere, type PC into Google Maps & view the property at your leisure:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
They don't have to travel anywhere, type PC into Google Maps & view the property at your leisure:thumb:

Wow...... they don;'t even need to come to your house now.:Eeek:

They can break and enter via Google maps....... wow this internet is amazing!

I thought it was only Star Trek who had Transporters.......:RollEyes::RollEyes:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp

Errr! don't think you've quite got it:Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As a couple of posts mention earlier, it isn't the postcode which one would put on the roof but the vehicle registration number.

The idea is that if a vehicle is reported stolen the number could be seen from a police helicopter - in much the same way as rooftop identities are used for taxis in some areas.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009

Very tongue in cheek
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
So, a thief spends hours, and days, sitting on a motorway bridge hoping to see a MH passing below with a PC on the roof. Then he is sure the house the MH came from is empty, and that could be hundreds of miles away.
I don't think so.
Where do all these ridiculous stories come from? And why is it only MH owners that are susceptible to these bizarre forms of robberies? Including the gassing ones.
If there is a robber or burglar in need of a break in, surely he would do it locally, where he knows the area, where the rich pickings are, and roads, and escape routes, and where the police stations are, etc; rather than this nonsense that is believed by some.

Craig

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Errr! don't think you've quite got it:Doh:

Actually I think I have......... :winky:

Very tongue in cheek
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hmmmm :winky: :winky:

I've just realised, this post code spotting on motorhome roofs could be the new train spotting.

So I'm off now with the boys to find a nice motorway bridge for the day.:thumb:

We've got our anoraks, vacuum flask, sandwiches and a note book for jotting down the postcodes. Should be FUN........:RollEyes:

Please wave to the boys if you drive your vans under our bridge, they will be ever so excited.!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back