Help please with code to autorun CD (3 Viewers)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have made a CD of my family history website, when loaded it runs fine but you have to navigate to the index html page, then it runs in the browser fine, not a problem for me but I want to give it to others so I want to make it autorun when loaded into the CD player ..

I know where to put the autorun.inf file, but can't get the code to work.. so have made a lot of CD coasters :cry:

the latest code I tried was:

[autorun]
shellexecute=index.htm

what code do I need, nothing fancy, just to make the cd autoplay ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There are so many different ways of adjusting the settings in different operating systems that using built-in Autoplay can be a bit of a nightmare.

On all our CDs we include the AutoRun.exe program and use an autorun.inf fiile of the form
[autorun]
open=autorun.exe intro.htm

The program is only 8K and can be downloaded via link from Link Removed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Thanks, I've read several help sites already and tried several bits of code ... maybe it's just me being a numpty but haven't managed to get one to actually work.. hence the pile of CD coasters ....

There are so many different ways of adjusting the settings in different operating systems that using built-in Autoplay can be a bit of a nightmare.

On all our CDs we include the AutoRun.exe program and use an autorun.inf fiile of the form

The program is only 8K and can be downloaded via link from Link Removed.

Thanks Graham , gave that a try but the program wont run on my machine.. (Windows7 64bit) get a warning up when I try to execute it

It was all so easy on the Mac :roflmto:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well, you will go having them posh 64 bit operating systems ::bigsmile: Works fine on Win 7 32 bit. Can you run it in compatibility mode?

I'm looking for a short rope right now :roflmto:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I seem to remember that MS was disabling autorun for removable media as it was a security risk. I know it is disabled on any machine I have.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I seem to remember that MS was disabling autorun for removable media as it was a security risk. I know it is disabled on any machine I have.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

while searching Help I discovered there is a difference between AutoPlay and AutoRun ..

What's the difference between AutoPlay and autorun?

AutoPlay

AutoPlay is a Windows feature that lets you choose which program to use to start different kinds of media, such as music CDs, or CDs and DVDs containing photos. For example, if you have more than one media player installed on your computer, AutoPlay will ask which media player you want to use when you try to play a music CD for the first time. You can change AutoPlay settings for each media type.

Autorun

Autorun is a technology used to automatically start programs or enhanced content (such as video content on a music CD) when you insert a CD or another media type into your computer. This is different from AutoPlay, but the result is often the same: when inserted, the CD starts automatically by using a particular program. Autorun is incorporated into the media types that use it, and you can't modify it.

When you try to play a CD or another media type that uses autorun, AutoPlay asks you to choose an action to perform (for example, to play the autorun content or to skip it).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

They certainly talked about it but I don't know how far it went in different circumstances. I tried running one of our own CDs from the external drive when I bought the Win 7 netbook and it worked OK.

Microsoft certainly c*cked it up in IE8 on Vista. Caused me all sorts of trouble proving that one of our products was OK and that Microsoft had made a complete hash of the specification, design, coding and (complete lack of) properly structured testing. I got a few quid out of them but it cost me more in time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back