Getting really confused (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
As a newbie to motorhoming I could do with some assistance. I'll try and explain. I was a caravanner for many years and have recently converted to a motorhome, and so far loving it. One of the reasons for the change was to reduce the faff when setting up on arrival. I was looking at getting a status540 aerial and having it fitted in the wardrobe ready to extend to the skys and receive a signal. When I called the aerial fitters the receptionist warned me that it might leak as they would have to put a hole in the roof. I knew about the hole but the way she came out with the warning was a bit alarming. I was going to get the professionals to install it to avoid issues like tha but I'm having doubts now. I have since looked into it more and due to the size of the cover on the electrics on the inside of the wardrobe I don't think there will be room for the mast. Time for a rethink. I have thought on a twofold plan which may leave me open to being told not to be so stupid but here goes.:Doh: I would like to put a small indoor digital aerial inside the wardrobe and splice it in to the coax. Thought being we can park up and only have to connect up the tv, retune and view. Not sure if this would have a good success rate. I had also thought about the portable sattelite system from Maplin which has mixed reviews. This could be used if required when the indoor aerial wont pick up a signal. We intend doing a fair bit of touring in Scotland and I have seen some comments on the Maplin systems working in Scotland , even though the dish size is below what is reccomended, but when I asked Maplin they say we will require a dish of at least 60cm.:Confused:

Thanks for any advice or help offered.

Sounds like I'm a tv addict but it's nice to have it there for news , weather and to be able to turn it off and pick up a book.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I doubt an indoor aerial will be of much use to be honest. I have a status aerial fitted and have no problems with water ingress (as I suspect many others).

I don't have a satellite system, so do not have a lot of experience on that side, but if your budget can stretch to it it might be the answer especially if you are planning trips into europe.

There is some useful info re satellite systems on the road pro site.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it certainly sounds like the installers are amateurs and shouldn't be trusted.

its not rocket science to drill a hole and ensure it doesn't leak.

you could get the 'short shaft' version of the status which wont need as much height in the wardrobe

product_thumb.php

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
it certainly sounds like the installers are amateurs and shouldn't be trusted.

its not rocket science to drill a hole and ensure it doesn't leak.

you could get the 'short shaft' version of the status which wont need as much height in the wardrobe

product_thumb.php
A friend of mine has the short shaft one and says he often gets a poor signal but has been on a couple of sites where there has been vans with the extending shaft and they had good signals. Again leading to my confusion. Does anyone know of a good mobile installer in Scotland?

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Mine is the short shaft and never had any problems as such. Saying that we have only ventured over the border once and used the site aerial connection.

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
What part of Scotland, Borders, Central Belt, North, etc?

A friend of mine has the short shaft one and says he often gets a poor signal but has been on a couple of sites where there has been vans with the extending shaft and they had good signals. Again leading to my confusion. Does anyone know of a good mobile installer in Scotland?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We did have one in our wardrobe and also elec rcd with no problems but we changed to a manual sat and put pole in same hole. Does your van not have an external aerial plug as ours does same make different model if it does you just need an outside aerial and plug it into the socket and then a cable from socket inside van to tv. I know what i mean but dont know if anyone else does.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We did have one in our wardrobe and also elec rcd with no problems but we changed to a manual sat and put pole in same hole. Does your van not have an external aerial plug as ours does same make different model if it does you just need an outside aerial and plug it into the socket and then a cable from socket inside van to tv. I know what i mean but dont know if anyone else does.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thanks. It does have an outside socket. The electrical cover is not the nice neat rcd it is a big cover for the controls. I'm sure it is oversized. Can you reccomend an easy to fit outside aerial, using suckers or attaching to cycle race?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you are thinking of going down the external aerial route then maplin do touring aerials
or if your thinking of satellite the best option in my opinion is to get a standard sky dish and a tripod and a reciever of your choice be it 12volt or mains operated there are loads out there.

i have a standard sky dish on a scrap 2 piece awning pole mounted on my rear ladder that way i just lift the top section out of before traveling.

Night Owl

Free Member
Oct 24, 2011
Nr York
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
20 years
I use an Avtec aerial iike the one Peter mentions connected to an external socket and it works really well. It even has a built in amplifier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back