browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
If I want to use a maintenance charger over winter can I plug it in to vehicle battery and let split charge relay charge both batteries

Phantom Menace

Free Member
Mar 11, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
5 minutes
charger

A maintenance charger usually has (smart technology) and will only effectively maintain one battery at a time, use 2 and be safe,or alternate one from battery to battery every week and remember leaving one in a discharged state for more than a month will usually be terminal! pardon the pun:Doh:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am not sure if there would be enough voltage to open the relay. If your going to do that why not plug the camper in and check if the engine battery is charged from the on-board charger.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i dont think that will work...

the split charge relay is operated by the alternator, not the battery.

the relay is usually triggered by the D terminal on the alternator as the engine starts

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I haven't got an onboard charger, the split charge relay is plugged into the vehicle battery terminals. If I charge each battery separately using independant chargers will they interfere with each other as the batteries are connected. The split charge relay opens when the voltage is above a certain threshold.

I am confused!

Phantom Menace

Free Member
Mar 11, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
5 minutes
split charging

your road battery is charged by the altenator, when the voltage reaches a level the split charge relay operates and allows the altenator to charge the habitation battery, A maintenance charger probably wont achieve the voltage neccessary to operate the relay so with 2 chargers the relay wont allow them to interfere. If you are concerned you could always disconnect the habitation battery while charging. Dont forget to ventilate the area as the batteries give off hydrogen while being charged (very volatile)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you have an (for example) 80ah engine battery and a 110ah leisure battery and a seperate charger for each battery and the relay does close then the chargers will see just one 190ah battery.
each charger will see the same and try to charge them as one.

i believe the relay closes at around 13.6v to 14v and its doubtful you will get 13.6v from a maintenance charger as it is only trickle charging most of the time.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I haven't got an onboard charger, the split charge relay is plugged into the vehicle battery terminals. If I charge each battery separately using independant chargers will they interfere with each other as the batteries are connected. The split charge relay opens when the voltage is above a certain threshold.

I am confused!

If you don't have an on board charger what charges your leisure battery and what happens when you plug into the mains.

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
If you don't have an on board charger what charges your leisure battery and what happens when you plug into the mains.

The alternator charges both via the split charge system, I don't ever use sites with a hook up but over winter it'll be parked up outside my house so I can plug the maintenance charger in for when I am not using the van.

The van is from 1985 so I don't think it ever had an onboard charger. I rewired the batteries through a split charge relay, I have a 55ah vehicle battery and a 100ah leisure battery.

I had hoped that I could just leave the maintenance charger connected and then plug it in whenever I am parked ouside my house.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one way round this is a flying lead between the two batteries and a single charger....a long wire with an insulated crocodile clip each end and clipped to the pos terminal of each battery.
the two batteries will share a common earth, probably through the chassis.

if you do this, then please fit a 10a fuse at BOTH ends of the flying lead,

if the wire has a single fuse and is damaged and earthed then the fuse will blow but the other, unprotected, end will still be live and to earth possibly causing a fire.

dont forget to remove the lead before starting the engine or the fuse(s) will blow

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
one way round this is a flying lead between the two batteries and a single charger....a long wire with an insulated crocodile clip each end and clipped to the pos terminal of each battery.
the two batteries will share a common earth, probably through the chassis.

if you do this, then please fit a 10a fuse at BOTH ends of the flying lead,

if the wire has a single fuse and is damaged and earthed then the fuse will blow but the other, unprotected, end will still be live and to earth possibly causing a fire.

dont forget to remove the lead before starting the engine or the fuse(s) will blow

I think I'll just charge one at a time and then swap over every so often. Thanks everybody!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back