Help with Excel please. (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have a spreadsheet where I add names in column one, I then add other detail in column two etc. My problem is that I would like to transfer the names, from column one only, to another free column then sort these names into alphabetical order. At the moment I copy and paste the names from one to a free column the highlight the cells then right click and sort. It works but is it possible to automate this process so when I enter the name in column one it will automatically sort itself into alphabetical order in another column.

In brief, can I sort names in a column so that when I add a name, it automatically moves into alphabetical order. Thanks…..:thumb:

Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan
I have a spreadsheet where I add names in column one, I then add other detail in column two etc. My problem is that I would like to transfer the names, from column one only, to another free column then sort these names into alphabetical order. At the moment I copy and paste the names from one to a free column the highlight the cells then right click and sort. It works but is it possible to automate this process so when I enter the name in column one it will automatically sort itself into alphabetical order in another column.

In brief, can I sort names in a column so that when I add a name, it automatically moves into alphabetical order. Thanks…..:thumb:
Select the column that you put the names in and format it for ascending should sort itself then

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Select the column that you put the names in and format it for ascending should sort itself then
Thanks John, I do it this way but for this particular situation I would like to just add the text to the cell and it sorts itself. I'm now looking at a macro for the purpose.:thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
If it is a regular need then you really do need a "macro" as opposed to a one off "Sort" and full instructions can be found on the MS excel site.

Failing that if you email me the spread sheet I will set it up and send it back done.

Best of luck.......Griff

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If it is a regular need then you really do need a "macro" as opposed to a one off "Sort" and full instructions can be found on the MS excel site.

Failing that if you email me the spread sheet I will set it up and send it back done.

Best of luck.......Griff
Thanks Giff.....:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Buttons, It is a very slim chance but I just MIGHT have all the teaching bumf from when I used to use Excel a lot for my work... if I can find it over the weekend I will keep it in my mh and next time we meet up you can have it ... or I could send it to you. .... but I won't go there until I have chance to look for it. I might have thrown it away. Joy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back