Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I know many people use oil filled radiators to keep damp at bay during the winter but is there any reason, if my MH is kept plugged into the domestic mains, why I can't leave the van's blown air central heating on low throughout the winter? Go on tell me this is an old chestnut, I can take it :RollEyes:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I know many people use oil filled radiators to keep damp at bay during the winter but is there any reason, if my MH is kept plugged into the domestic mains, why I can't leave the van's blown air central heating on low throughout the winter? Go on tell me this is an old chestnut, I can take it :RollEyes:

Simple I'd say, an oil filled radiator £50 to replace, a worn out central heating system £1500.

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Simple I'd say, an oil filled radiator £50 to replace, a worn out central heating system £1500.

I'd like to think that the central heating system would be robust enough, bearing in mind how many people go full-timing.
But I don't want to gamble, so your response is very persuasive.
Oil filled radiator it is then :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Surely any form of heating will in fact increase the humidity in the van thereby causing possible mould.....
IMO it is better to drain down anything that could freeze and ensure good ventilation throughout. Leave all internal lockers, cupboards and bed bases open.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
For the first four winters since we bought our van I used to use a small oil filled radiator to keep the temperature above freezing (along with draining down and ventilating as Brian mentioned).

However, I started to question whether it was really worth it so last winter I didn't use it and had no problems at all - that included the 6 week November to January snows that we had with the coldest temperatures we've known here for many years.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Mine is on as we speak !!! Not only that, but tonight will be my first night with my winter duvet ! The skinney summer one was was not man enough to keep me warm enough last night ! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Surely any form of heating will in fact increase the humidity in the van thereby causing possible mould.....
IMO it is better to drain down anything that could freeze

Good point.

There is a problem, that bit of water trapped in a corner, like the corner of my shower valve, if it freezes, big problem.

Mind you, a few years ago I was in the van on Deeside at minus quite a bit and with me inside with heating on one pipe froze - the heating can't reach enclosed voids, just where the pipes run.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
I'm with Graham; haven't had any trouble with moisture, damp or mould, etc. after two winter layups now, and never used a heater of any kind. I confess we didn't even open the storage cupboards or lift the cushions up.

I'm a big fan of benevolent neglect :ROFLMAO:

Will be trying out the heating for the first time next week I think, though, when we head up to Scotland for half term!

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back