Car Park Height Restrictions (1 Viewer)

nokaii

Free Member
Oct 19, 2010
Nr Manchester
Funster No
Exp
This was posted on another site but I think it deserves support so at least there's a debate

Thanks
Karen

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This was posted on another site but I think it deserves support so at least there's a debate

Thanks
Karen
Can I presume that you have some other means in place to stop the abuse by many caravan/motor home dwellers when these barriers have been removed?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When will the originators of these petitions ever learn? The responsible department is not the Department for Transport. Public sector car parks for general use (both with and without height barriers) are a local authority responsibility.

No matter how many signatures this petition receives all the DfT can do (without primary legislation, of which there is chance) is to ask local authorities to note the results. Without specific figures for their own, individual, areas (which will not be available) local authorities will have no real evidence on which to base their policies.

This petition, like similar ones previously, is, therefore, a waste of time. The only way to achieve removal of height barriers is to deal specifically with the authorities concerned and prove to them how much the benefits of removal would outweigh the costs of doing so.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have to say I enjoyed reading the list of petitions on the link and what some people deem important in this day and age is amazing as most of the things on there want to ban something or someone:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
nokaii

nokaii

Free Member
Oct 19, 2010
Nr Manchester
Funster No
Exp
Can I presume that you have some other means in place to stop the abuse by many caravan/motor home dwellers when these barriers have been removed?

Traffic wardens are on most Car Parks every day anyway making sure we've paid and displayed or similar they could enforce rules on overstayers and perhaps the rules could even be relaxed to allow vans to stay overnight on some car parks for say a maximum of 2 nights and encourage authorities to perhaps provide facilities like water and CDP - From our point of view this would be really handy near to music venues theatres etc where there are no campsites nearby so you could go to see a show perhaps have a drink and a meal and stay over til the morning. It would also be really handy when travelling long distances as sometimes you don't know exactly where you're going to be to book a site in advance or arrive at a reasonable time.

Karen

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
are on most Car Parks every day anyway making sure we've paid and displayed or similar they could enforce rules on overstayers and perhaps the rules could even be relaxed to allow vans to stay overnight on some car parks for say a maximum of 2 nights and encourage authorities to perhaps provide facilities like water and CDP - From our point of view this would be really handy near to music venues theatres etc where there are no campsites nearby so you could go to see a show perhaps have a drink and a meal and stay over til the morning. It would also be really handy when travelling long distances as sometimes you don't know exactly where you're going to be to book a site in advance or arrive at a reasonable time.Karen
All sounds great on paper Karen but aint like that. Traffic wardens cost money, not all motor homers are as law abiding as you are, a majority of the rate paying population think motorhomes are an extravagance and facilities like water and CDP have nothing to do with height barriers.:Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Traffic wardens are on most Car Parks every day anyway making sure we've paid and displayed or similar they could enforce rules on overstayers and perhaps the rules could even be relaxed to allow vans to stay overnight on some car parks for say a maximum of 2 nights and encourage authorities to perhaps provide facilities like water and CDP - From our point of view this would be really handy near to music venues theatres etc where there are no campsites nearby so you could go to see a show perhaps have a drink and a meal and stay over til the morning. It would also be really handy when travelling long distances as sometimes you don't know exactly where you're going to be to book a site in advance or arrive at a reasonable time.

Karen

As with removal of height barriers, the only way to achieve overnight stopping facilities is to deal specifically with the authorities concerned and prove to them how much the benefits would outweigh the costs of doing so.

OP
OP
nokaii

nokaii

Free Member
Oct 19, 2010
Nr Manchester
Funster No
Exp
All sounds great on paper Karen but aint like that. Traffic wardens cost money, not all motor homers are as law abiding as you are, a majority of the rate paying population think motorhomes are an extravagance and facilities like water and CDP have nothing to do with height barriers.:Sad:

Water and CDP are just on our wish list but it would be nice to turn up in most towns and know you're going to be able to park up and not have to drive round for ages wasting fuel because a lot of the car parks have height barriers or just don't allow larger vehicles on them. As for traffic wardens we're already paying for them as they patrol most car parks anyway.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Water and CDP are just on our wish list but it would be nice to turn up in most towns and know you're going to be able to park up and not have to drive round for ages wasting fuel because a lot of the car parks have height barriers or just don't allow larger vehicles on them. As for traffic wardens we're already paying for them as they patrol most car parks anyway.
There is one way to tic all of your boxes, I fit in all car parks and height barriers have never been a problem.:winky:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes and he does 70 mpg

There is one way to tic all of your boxes, I fit in all car parks and height barriers have never been a problem.:winky:

of course Buttons fits the spaces, he also gets 70 mpg... I am a bit of a bulls**ter myself, but I love listerning to an expert:RollEyes::ROFLMAO: do carry on Buttons... makes it worth reading the posts.:winky:

Bob:ROFLMAO:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
of course Buttons fits the spaces, he also gets 70 mpg... I am a bit of a bulls**ter myself, but I love listerning to an expert:RollEyes::ROFLMAO: do carry on Buttons... makes it worth reading the posts.:winky:

Bob:ROFLMAO:
Hi Bob long time no see...... how is your static caravan on wheels.:winky:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
My problems these day Buttons is

Hi Bob long time no see...... how is your static caravan on wheels.:winky:

Hi Buttons, been around, but was over on RVOC for a while.. back here now...

my problem is these days I need 45' .. the RV and the trailer.. height barriers need to be above 13' for me to limber under... oh yes 9'11" on the mirrors so I have to watch out for the narrow barriers as well.

I can cause chaos in any town I go in to...

what is a normal car park bay these days? mind you Canterbury Council in Kent has got a park and ride and use it for motorhomes (10 bays) water availabel and cheap .. look at the councils site.. it says height barrier (has none)..

Good to exchange a few insults with you yet agin Buttons.

Regards

Bob::thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi Buttons, been around, but was over on RVOC for a while.. back here now...

my problem is these days I need 45' .. the RV and the trailer.. height barriers need to be above 13' for me to limber under... oh yes 9'11" on the mirrors so I have to watch out for the narrow barriers as well.

I can cause chaos in any town I go in to...

what is a normal car park bay these days? mind you Canterbury Council in Kent has got a park and ride and use it for motorhomes (10 bays) water availabel and cheap .. look at the councils site.. it says height barrier (has none)..

Good to exchange a few insults with you yet agin Buttons.

Regards

Bob::thumb:
Sounds like a Boris bendy bus. ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
As with removal of height barriers, the only way to achieve overnight stopping facilities is to deal specifically with the authorities concerned and prove to them how much the benefits would outweigh the costs of doing so.

What, as I did with both Bury and Bolton with regards to overnight parking. Even used one of your standard letters. Didn't have the decency to reply. So much for L A democracy,

Don

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I thought the big reason for height barriers was to stop Itinerants from setting up camp.???

barry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What, as I did with both Bury and Bolton with regards to overnight parking. Even used one of your standard letters. Didn't have the decency to reply. So much for L A democracy,

Don
I didn't say it was easy, Don.

If you don't get satisfaction use the complaints procedure. And, if you asked for information and didn't receive a response point out that they have breached FoIA.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Some authorities like Chester are enlightend to the benefits of allowing motorhomes to overnight:thumb: and little if no Itinerant problems, others suffer from Clarksons Syndrome.:Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back