RAC, 90 day`s "Arrivals"... please read.. (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If you remember just over a week ago Bobandjayne... Started a very interesting thread about the RAC & Camping & Caravanning Club of GB`s "Arrivals" Scheme, where by it was suggested and seemed to point in the direction you were only covered for one 90 day trip..

Anyway I did say that I would write/phone/e.mail the RAC to let them know that a lot of us were not happy about being informed of the 90 day maximum... Which I did..

I have in the last hour received a call with a back up e.mail regarding our not being happy with the situation.... Especially those that go abroad for the winter and spend more than 90 days away..

This is the e.mail I received from them which is more or less the same as the phone call..

As to date I have "NOT" had a reply from the AA to see if they have/could or would do a similar scheme to the arrivals but without us having to join a club and to see if they could do something for more than 90 days.... As said no reply yet..

This is the e.mail I have received from the RAC..
................................................................................................ =

Dear Mr Kessock -Philip

Further to your email and our telephone conversation earlier this afternoon regarding your RAC Membership.

Thank you for the issues you raised and the link you sent in connection with European travel and the Arrival scheme. As we discussed, I fully appreciate your sentiments and have forwarded them onto our Camping & Caravan Club, Account Manager. I agree that far more travellers are taking advantage of longer holidays and that the 90 day regulation is limiting.

As you are planning your forthcoming trip for about four months our Travel Department may be able to find a more suitable cover for this extended period, please call them on 0800 550 055, with all your proposed details and they will be more than happy to look into your requirements.

I would like to take this opportunity of wishing you a very pleasant trip and safe journey and hope that our discussion and the above has clarified the situation for you and goes some way to restoring your faith in RAC. If in the meantime I can be of any further help please call me on 0800 912 6270 or, alternatively, you can email me at the above address.

If you feel I haven’t dealt with your complaint fairly, you have the option to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Should you require it their address is, Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London, E14 9SR. You can telephone them on 0300 123 9123 or simply log on to their website at www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk. So, if at any time within the next six months you would like them to carry out an independent review this link will help you to do so.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your concerns; your feedback is valuable to us and very much appreciated.

Yours sincerely

Lorraine Westcott
RAC Membership Customer Care Executive

RAC WebAdmin

---------------------- Forwarded by RAC WebAdmin/IT/South East/RAC Motoring Services on 14/10/2011 12:56 ---------------------------

Sent by: Carol Luton

To: RAC WebAdmin/IT/South East/RAC Motoring Services@RAC MOTORING SERVICES

Subject: Fw: Breakdown - European Breakdown enquiries

For your information

---------------------- Forwarded by Carol Luton/Membership/Bristol/RAC Motoring Services on 13/10/2011 08:29 ---------------------------

To: traveladmin@rac.co.uk

Subject: Breakdown - European Breakdown enquiries

RAC Contact Form submitted.

Details of Submission:

Subject:
Breakdown - European Breakdown enquiries
....................................................................................................

Make of it what you will...:RollEyes:

I shall phone the number tomorrow to see what they come up with £££££££`S wise, and let you know.. :thumb:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi Maurice,

I have read the email and also the thread posted last week and am somewhat surprised at RAC reaction. I am insured through Comfort and their breakdown ins. Horizon Advantage Plus is through the RAC and has no trip limit so long as you are not fultiming.

I don't understand why ,if they can offer unlimited trip cover through one policy it cannot be offered through others. Maybe like you say......all down to ££££s

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Thanks for the follow up Mo

Hi, Mo

Thanks for putting the follow up on the site... does it surprise me? no.

The AA do as you know through safeguard Insurance a breakdown policy as part of the insurance and as a fellow RV owner I have these with no time limits .. but if you go to the AA direct they will not cover our size / weight of RV's yet as part of the insurance policy they do. This was common 20 years plus when the AA had truck start but would not cover an RV in the normal course of business.

But the up date is appriciated.

Regards

Bob:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Hi Maurice,

I have read the email and also the thread posted last week and am somewhat surprised at RAC reaction. I am insured through Comfort and their breakdown ins. Horizon Advantage Plus is through the RAC and has no trip limit so long as you are not fultiming.

I don't understand why ,if they can offer unlimited trip cover through one policy it cannot be offered through others. Maybe like you say......all down to ££££s

I would guess this is down to the agreement that they have with Caravan Club and the cost may well be down to the profit the C&CC are taking from our annual payment to RAC. In real terms if people realise this restriction - particularly the lack of Arrivals scheme abroad and the 'once in a year' restriction they may well find people moving in their droves to someone else who can offer good back up.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I had been with the RAC for above 30 yrs and joined the Arivals as soon as it started :thumb:This year I opted out simply because I no longer required / wanted the C &CC ( A LONG STORY) So now I am a member of the German ADAC plus scheme @£72 per yr this gives a lot more cover all over Europe with no weight or time limits and covers both self and wife in any vehicle :thumb:
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it does have some restrictions

I had been with the RAC for above 30 yrs and joined the Arivals as soon as it started :thumb:This year I opted out simply because I no longer required / wanted the C &CC ( A LONG STORY) So now I am a member of the German ADAC plus scheme @£72 per yr this gives a lot more cover all over Europe with no weight or time limits and covers both self and wife in any vehicle :thumb:
terry

I have also the ADAC as an add on to my other cover.. but it does have some size limitations and weight for recovery... need to read the policy to be sure it is for you.. but very good value for what you pay and can be used in the UK on your car as well as an motor home or RV.. the AA are the UK call out for ADAC.. which by the way has 17 million members and covers all of Europe and the UK...

Search for the threads on MHF .. plenty discussion of the service on here.

Bob:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Bob if my understanding is right the weight limit is 7.5 t :thumb: possibly 10 t :Smile: but that may be with a trailer ?
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes 7.5 tons

Hi Bob if my understanding is right the weight limit is 7.5 t :thumb: possibly 10 t :Smile: but that may be with a trailer ?
terry

Yes Terry it is 7.5 tons, but it has height and how wide.. I scrape in with my RV as it is a B class and I can fold my mirrors in to the cab doors on the Ford E350 super duty chassis.. It can cause an issue on some A class RV's... but the rest of the ADAC cover is very good and way above what some companies provide... even arrange unaccompanied dogs home in event of a breakdown.. tow out of mud, English speaking transaltor service.. line of credit if needed for repairs, so many extras ..well worth checking it out...

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Update.

Been on the phone to the AA.... not interested unless you have insurance through "Safeguard....:Sad:

RAC.. Arrivals scheme through the Camping & Caravanning Club.. not budging from there 90 day`s.. and debateable if they will or could help with large vehicles.. :Doh:

So save your hard earned cash and dont join.. unless you use the club sites..

But if like me you joined to benefit from the "Arrivals Scheme".. abroad help aint a coming.:Angry:

I`m in touch with a few other company`s.. will let you know the outcome as and when..

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

I`m in touch with a few other company`s.. will let you know the outcome as and when..
Hi Mo,

Even though ours isn't an RV, it's big and heavy enough to be in the same category with regards to breakdown cover. Many thanks for keeping us all informed, and doing the groundwork on everyone's behalf. :thumb: It is much appreciated.

So far, the ADAC package looks like the one for us weighing in @ 5 tonnes.

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Update

I have phoned/e.mailed just about every company I thought would be able to help.. I have found that "Caravan Guard"... offers one of the best solutions and best cover for our type and size vehicle.. No limits on size, at initial taking out their Normal Policy ie (Normal Driving Insurance @ Fully Comprehensive) they offer 180 days cover excluding a few of the old iron curtain countrys..

Below is what I hope I have scanned a page from there information booklet.

If you require a quote and need insurance here is their freephone number.. 0800 14 88 400.

I dont know if they do Breakdown cover on it`s own, but there premiums for a £40 k. American motorhome including trailer with no limit on length height etc was the best obtained..

I did approach umpteen commercial breakdown company`s, but none were interested unless it was a block booking for a few motorhomes & RV`s.

this is a page from Caravan Guard`s booklet.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Sorry... That didn`t work, and I dont know how to enlarge it..

The only thing I can suggest is that if anybody is having problems getting European cover, if you PM me I will send my landline number and read out any parts of the policy they wish to know about.. :thumb:

Pete45

Free Member
Jan 29, 2009
Milton Keynes Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Had 2 RV from 2003
Sorry... That didn`t work, and I dont know how to enlarge it..

The only thing I can suggest is that if anybody is having problems getting European cover, if you PM me I will send my landline number and read out any parts of the policy they wish to know about.. :thumb:

Now that is good of you Mo :thumb:

deckie

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Clubman GL
Exp
46 yrs
Thanks Old-Mo for doing all this groundwork :thumb:

You have certainly opened our eyes to the C&C Club's policy (pun intended)

We have been with the C&CC for many years and always thought that the members came first, just shows how wrong you can be, It seems like ADAC will be getting a lot more business (including mine)
Deckie

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Just thinking - does the 90 day cover with c&cc arrivals scheme apply to each annual year insurance cover? - if that is the case - then make sure the insurance is up for renewal as the 90 days ceases so that the next 90 days falls into the next years cover.:winky::winky: Or does anyone know differently.

Nigel and Pamala

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Just thinking - does the 90 day cover with c&cc arrivals scheme apply to each annual year insurance cover? - if that is the case - then make sure the insurance is up for renewal as the 90 days ceases so that the next 90 days falls into the next years cover.:winky::winky: Or does anyone know differently.

Nigel and Pamala

Our Insurance and membership dues to the CC&C of GB & the RAC arrivals Scheme both fell within a couple of weeks of each other, so didn`t seem a problem..

What got up my nose was the 90 day limit.. and like a lot of others were not told about this a few years ago when I joined.. It was only when Bobandjayne bought it up that I decided to check.

Any body taking out the arrivals scheme now may well be told.. :Sad:

Perhaps they have had a few claims too many..

As we were going for more than 90 days... Couple of times we went for more than 90 days, but luckily we had no reason to call them out..

Surely they realise that when we go away for 3 - 4 - 5 months at a time we are not on the move every day doing 2 - 300 miles a day. and do little mileage when we get to our destination..

But I couldn`t get this through to them.. :Angry:

I suppose as you say your sort of 90 day roll over could work as it is 90 days in any one year.. but then the next winter you would be knackered if you wanted to go for the same amount of time... (Dont think any of tthat sounds right, but I know what I mean :RollEyes::Doh:::bigsmile: )

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

Nigel and Pamala

I could be wrong, but I think that that would not be a way around the wording and therefore the cover. It is a 90 day per trip policy. Even splitting a, for example 120 day trip over two policy years 'the trip' would still be longer than 90 days. I reckon they would have thought of that. Jane :winky:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
One thing I have worked out over the years is that if you think there is a way around something the insurance companies already have a clause in place to cover themselves :Eeek: I have been caught on odd things in the past when I have thought I was well covered only to find there was something in place to block it. One of the reasons why I stick with the NFU - I tell them what I want and they will either confirm they can do it or are straight up and say no can do - next year we hope to spend more time traveling and will give them an itinery and ask what cover they offer. Once they have that and agreed to it then I am covered --- or not as the case may be and if RAC are unable to cover breakdowns then I shall do the same to other companies until I get cover for the trip.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Further to my earlier post- I was verbally (2 seperate times by 2 different people) told by the RAC that I was covered for what I wanted :thumb: it only came to light that I was NOT :Eeek: when I asked for it in writing via email.If you are in any doubt get it in writing before you need cover and not just a leaflet that may lead to confusion :thumb: Ask specific questions and get specific answers :thumb: That way you know you are covered without the wriggle room ::bigsmile:
terry

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had to do it all again this weekend. :Doh:

After our discovery with the RAC and the 90 days, we decided to stay with Saga, and because we take the car with us we needed yet another Insurance / Breakdown Cover Policy, and after spending most of the day trying.................................Gave Up :Doh:

Jane phoned Saga and got cover for the Smart,::bigsmile: and they have No restrictions on their Insurance or Breakdown Policies in Europe. It might cost a bit more but your covered.

So anyone over wintering for more than 90 days its not just breakdown cover you need to worry about ! :RollEyes: :whatthe: Bob.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Im thinking that we will go with the ADAC Plus as it will cover us for all our vehicles (for me and Kevin thats two cars and the Motorhome) and will save us having individual cover on them (Which we have at the moment).

Sonja

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Im thinking that we will go with the ADAC Plus as it will cover us for all our vehicles (for me and Kevin thats two cars and the Motorhome) and will save us having individual cover on them (Which we have at the moment).

Sonja

Hi Sonja,
Very useful as long as nothing you want to cover is out of the UK for more than 90 days. House insurance is the other thing, I got an extra £15 off Saga for getting a quote on that. Well, actually, because we need more than the 90 days they could get no quote done. It may be that they could if they approached the underwriters but at this stage it was only a money saving exercise ::bigsmile: so we took it no further. Jane :Smile:

I just got breakdown cover on Bob's car, Green Flag UK Recovery (with at home) and after the cashback that will have cost £13.92 for the year. So dearer than last year but I cannot go with the RAC again yet. Obviously we could have lumped them all in and gone with ADAC but that would not cover us more than 92 days over the water....

sunshinebus

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
self build
Are people also aware that with the RAC you are only aloud ONE breakdown per trip and that if you have to call them out you then do not have any cover for the rest of your holiday.
We broke down this year about 80km from calais on day 2 of a three month holiday and were told that we would only be coverd again by taking a second policy or going home again to set off on a second trip !!!
For peace of mind we joind ADAC while waiting for the repairs to be done

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Are people also aware that with the RAC you are only aloud ONE breakdown per trip and that if you have to call them out you then do not have any cover for the rest of your holiday.
We broke down this year about 80km from calais on day 2 of a three month holiday and were told that we would only be coverd again by taking a second policy or going home again to set off on a second trip !!!
For peace of mind we joind ADAC while waiting for the repairs to be done
Hi there, I did mention the one breakdown per trip in the original thread about the RAC Arrivals scheme. Worth bringing it to peoples attention again though.
Sorry to hear that you only found out by first hand experience, I do hope that you thoroughly enjoyed the rest of your travels, I will read your blog and find out! Jane :Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Pushing to the top again

Hi there, I did mention the one breakdown per trip in the original thread about the RAC Arrivals scheme. Worth bringing it to peoples attention again though.
Sorry to hear that you only found out by first hand experience, I do hope that you thoroughly enjoyed the rest of your travels, I will read your blog and find out! Jane :Smile:

I agree it needs to be keep up near the top.. there is another new member asking about recovery at the moment and does not seem to know about these issues of 90 days.. so I have bumped it Bob & Jane to hopefully help someone understand the issues of goign to Europe in aRV or motorhome... it should not put you off.. just need to plan and get the right cover.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back