Water?? (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Not sure if this is the right forum for this but anyway....... I have searched for info on what to do about water when travelling abroad but can't seem to find anything. It may be a case of top up before going thenonce topped up again using bottled water for drinking etc and the tank for washing. Then a clean out once home. Also on th subject of water , I can't seem to locate a filter on my system. Any ideas as to where it should be? Compass Avantgarde 400RL 03 plate.

Thanks

Gordon:Doh:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Where exactly do you mean by 'abroad'? When in France, Holland, Germany, Belgium etc. we just use the water like at home which is to use a jug filter system (bought from supermarket) and kept in fridge for cold drinking water and onboard stuff for everything else.
We haven't been to Spain for years but always used to buy bottled water there.
Others will probably have other ideas ... hang on they'll be awake soon. :roflmto:

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks

Sorry. I see that I should have been a bit clearer. It is early for me. By abroad I am meaning any of the countries that it is reccomended you don't drink the tap water. I'm also not having a go at other countries water supplies. Just that Scottish water is very high quality:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Yes - we're in Scotland too. Great water for sure (probably because it's constantly being replenished from above :Smile:)
In countries that have unsafe water I would buy it for drinking and flush the onboard system with a dilute Milton mixture when home again.
We do the Milton treatment a couple of times a year anyway to deal with bacteria from standing water.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
A nature pure filter was one of the best bits of kit I added to the van:thumb: Now and then I put a couple of purifying tabs in the tank just to clean the system.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There wouldn't be a filter fitted as standard on your van, Gordon. Most people who fit them swear by Nature Pure as Dane says.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I don't use the tank water for drinking anywhere,UK or abroad. I have a filter which I change every year and clean tank every year. In the UK I have a few water bottles that I fill up with tap water from home before leaving and only when they have run out do I fill them with local tap water, but that's only in the UK. When out of the country I buy cheap bottled water. The reasoning behind me filling up my bottles at home is that other peoples water makes mt tea taste different. Old habits die hard, have carried my tea making water all over the world before retiring.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
We have a Nature Pure :thumb: filter system fitted and have used it for our drinking water all over europe with no problems

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

RKE

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just sold ours!
Exp
There wouldn't be a filter fitted as standard on your van, Gordon. Most people who fit them swear by Nature Pure as Dane says.

We have a Avantgarde 400 lux 2004 ( 53 plate ) and I can confirm the above post..... no water filter fitted as standard on these models.....

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as others have said, a nature pure filter will even make Scottish water purer than it is.

removes virus's, cysts and bacteria down to 4 microns.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, when i left uk for africa in 98 i fitted a doulton berkenfeld system as used by the world health authority. i bought it from brownchurch landrover in london. they build real expedition vehicles . i can say i hardly ever use it , find waterv everywhere in europe ok . been quyitev a way down through africa never found a problem with tap water if potable. i do ocasionaly use river water depends on the trip.
having worked for the water industry here i also carry aluninium sulphate mixtures to add if water is really bad . as for cleaning tanks a gooid chlorinated water is all you need . forget milton etc .fill tank leave overnight .empty fill again then empty andv use tank . i can recommend anyone to have a chat or visit your local water works they are more than helpfull and can organisevisits to a water purifying operation. well worth a visit.
its all down to ph levels . cleaning water is very simple . i drink from my tank justabout all the time . use the filter system if suspect water not sogood . yes buy a couple of cheapobottles of water if you dont have a filter or keep one in the cab. boiling for three minutes can usually work well . use what you need then bottle whats left for drinking later . the nature pure system is ok as well. pay your money take your choice.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
If in Portugal use the spring water, called fonts, a natural water source that the locals use.

It is not unusual to see a car stopped at the local font with their numerous 5 ltr. plastic bottles being filled.

I have met other Brits that just drink the water straight from the tap ..... & they are still alive.

We never had filters in my youth & I'm still here, in fact can you imagine drinking out of the emergency water supply tanks that were scattered around during the war? :Eeek:

They would make your MH tank look positively pure.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
We buy the dehydrated stuff in packets an just add water to it
images
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Couldnt resist Sorry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
have to watch out for rusty cans with that though as it leaks out.
mind if it as leaks with it ,it could have come from a welsh spring.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back