Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I have just been in touch with the nearest fiat servicing garage to me currently in Eastbourne and they initially said that we have to wait for the letter recalling us but they want to check what they call the “ spare wheel winch” as fiat has recalled these to be looked at.
I thought that the bolts on the gear box needed to be checked when I read the thread on here the other day about a recall?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have just been in touch with the nearest fiat servicing garage to me currently in Eastbourne and they initially said that we have to wait for the letter recalling us but they want to check what they call the “ spare wheel winch” as fiat has recalled these to be looked at.
I thought that the [HI]bolts on the gear box needed to be checked [/HI]when I read the thread on here the other day about a recall?

That is a different issue which may or not affect your van,but if either do you will get a letter from Fiat.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
The spare wheel carrier problem has been known about for months so I had the garage check mine on it's last service and it was ok, but it still needs to go back for the recall.:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Had an e-mail yesterday from Fiat Camper about the recall. Phoned our local Fiat Camper dealer (Ford & Slater), took it down this morning, 35 minute wait and unit replaced. Pretty good service.:thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I thought that the bolts on the gear box needed to be checked when I read the thread on here the other day about a recall?

What is the problem with the spare wheel, we haven`t heard anything about a recall.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
After reading about the bolts coming loose recall, I contacted the local Peugeot dealer (ours is a Boxer) who has looked after our van since we bought it.

The receptionist checked the computer records & said no ours is not affected. She then went on to say there was an outstanding recall on it to replace the spare wheel carrier. In on Monday to get done.

My carrier failed just after the end of the warranty but they then said it could not be done so I removed it, and now they want to fit a new one and send the old one back. Fortunately I still have it.

The problem is the winch that winds the wheel into the carrier, they are clearly not up to the job, which is not surprising as it sits just behind the rear wheel in all the crap the road throws up, not a good idea.

It is a good system when it works and I was very pleased with it to start with, have to see how long the new one lasts.

Recently we went to Elldis in Consett for an open day, I thought it may be an interesting day out, & it was. I notice their base vans were Boxers all with the same system of spare wheel carrier so maybe they have been improved .... or am I being over optimistic? :Doh:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What is the problem with the spare wheel, we haven`t heard anything about a recall.
Why not log on to fiatcamper.and check the status of your recalls. Not to sure of the problem but loads of threads on this site. I think they have had a few fall off !:Eeek:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Why not log on to fiatcamper.and check the status of your recalls. Not to sure of the problem but loads of threads on this site. I think they have had a few fall off !:Eeek:

They don't fall off, you just cannot wind the wheel back up when the winch fails. :whatthe:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
After reading about the bolts coming loose recall, I contacted the local Peugeot dealer (ours is a Boxer) who has looked after our van since we bought it.

The receptionist checked the computer records & said no ours is not affected. She then went on to say there was an outstanding recall on it to replace the spare wheel carrier. In on Monday to get done.

My carrier failed just after the end of the warranty but they then said it could not be done so I removed it, and now they want to fit a new one and send the old one back. Fortunately I still have it.

The problem is the winch that winds the wheel into the carrier, they are clearly not up to the job, which is not surprising as it sits just behind the rear wheel in all the crap the road throws up, not a good idea.

It is a good system when it works and I was very pleased with it to start with, have to see how long the new one lasts.

Recently we went to Elldis in Consett for an open day, I thought it may be an interesting day out, & it was. I notice their base vans were Boxers all with the same system of spare wheel carrier so maybe they have been improved .... or am I being over optimistic? :Doh:

They checked mine a couple of weeks ago on my 09 Boxer. It did not apply as my spare wheel is in the garage.

I had actually gone in to get them to do something about the water ingress problem into the engine bay, though the vents on the bonnet, when it rains or you wash the van.

The water comes in through the vents and sits on the engine block, the block starts to show rust stains as do the injectors, ( this never happened on my 06 Boxer, the engine bay was as new when I sold it ). More worrying though is that the water also runs down onto the alternator belt.

You can hear the belt squell and scream when you start the engine, as the belt slips.
I actually had the alternator belt part last winter as the water had froze, and on starting the engine, the belt snapped. I have also heard on the other forums of the cam belt snapping when people were in the Alps on skiing breaks and in extremely cold conditions the water had got in and froze solid.

They do a mod to the engine scuttle below the vents to divert the water. They also put a cover over the engine as you see in most modern vehicles, which keeps any other water off, and they also put a cover over the alternator to stop water getting onto the belts.

There is no recall for this, you just have to call and ask and tell them that Peugeot have a "info flash" about this issue. I have to say once I took the van in, they had a look, ordered the parts and fitted everything the next week FOC, as well as checking the spare wheel issue.:thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years

Hi Trish & Tez
My Fiat was due for it's 2nd year service so I booked it in at the Fiat dealers in Preston, I also mentioned to them the clutch judder (but to be honest I had not rearly had much trouble with this but thought I would have it checked and sorted if required ) The result is they confirmed on a test drive it needed to be done, I have been in touch with Italy and they keep me updated on progress so very good service from both Preston and Italy, If you think your clutch need's looking at get it sorted while your in your local dealers. Peter :thumb::thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
They checked mine a couple of weeks ago on my 09 Boxer. It did not apply as my spare wheel is in the garage.

I had actually gone in to get them to do something about the water ingress problem into the engine bay, though the vents on the bonnet, when it rains or you wash the van.

The water comes in through the vents and sits on the engine block, the block starts to show rust stains as do the injectors, ( this never happened on my 06 Boxer, the engine bay was as new when I sold it ). More worrying though is that the water also runs down onto the alternator belt.

I have also heard on the other forums of the cam belt snapping when people were in the Alps on skiing breaks and in extremely cold conditions the water had got in and froze solid.

:

Also the water pours over a relay behind the nearside headlight that is something to do with ABS, and the screen washer pump on the other side. I spray mine with WD40 to keep the damp out. Fingers crossed. :winky:

AFAIK the later engines have a chain not a belt, mine definitely has a chain drive.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Trish & Tez
My Fiat was due for it's 2nd year service so I booked it in at the Fiat dealers in Preston, I also mentioned to them the clutch judder (but to be honest I had not rearly had much trouble with this but thought I would have it checked and sorted if required ) The result is they confirmed on a test drive it needed to be done, I have been in touch with Italy and they keep me updated on progress so very good service from both Preston and Italy, If you think your clutch need's looking at get it sorted while your in your local dealers. Peter :thumb::thumb:

Thanks peter, clutch fine, no judder at all but I will ask them to have a look at it.:thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
water ingress

Also the water pours over a relay behind the nearside headlight that is something to do with ABS, and the screen washer pump on the other side. I spray mine with WD40 to keep the damp out. Fingers crossed. :winky:

AFAIK the later engines have a chain not a belt, mine definitely has a chain drive.

Water get in through a poor joint in the window scuttle, we`ve had the cover fitted over the engine block now to protect the injectors, water does as you say get in from the drain in the passenger side scuttle, I drilled the hole out and glued a length of tubing in, this now drains to below the engine and electrics.

As for the clucth judder Fiat did say that any vehicle bought after October 2010 would be ok from this problem but a friend of mine bought a new motorhome in June 2011 with the 3 litre engine and this does have the clutch judder.
I was asked by Fiat to take it to there recognised dealership to test, they told Fiat that my motorhome definitely had the problem, when Fiat phoned me to tell me of the findings they said yes it was confirmed there was a problem but they didn`t have a fix for the 3 litre engine and they couldn`t do anything to sort the problem and just washed there hands of it.

So if you have a 6 speed manual gearbox 3 litre Ducato and it has the clutch judder problem you`re stuck with it.
Nice after sales service from Fiat, I personally will never buy another Fiat.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Fiat Recall VOSA Notices

Spare Wheel May Detach
The recall is in force because of a problem with the mechanism used to raise and secure the spare wheel underneath the vehicle.

In some circumstances, the spare wheel may become detached from the vehicle.

Link Removed

List of all recalls

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back