Apr 16, 2010
Stockport,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyanne 630LB
Exp
since April 2009
Hi can anyone help i'm trying to make sense of the plate on the skirt of my
hymer 524. top line reads 3900 kg second line reads 5500 kg third line reads 1-1850 kg fourth line reads 2-2200 kg i'm trying to find what the unladen weight is and what extra weight im permitted

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the only sure way to determine unladen weight is to empty the van completely, no food, cloths, passengers etc, absolutely anything that aint screwed down, and go to a weighbridge and have the front axle and rear axle weighed then the whole van.

deduct the whole vans weight from the 3900kg max weight will give you your payload.

on your plate the first line is the vehicles total laden weight 3900kg

the second line is the total weight of laden van plus a loaded 1600kg trailer 5500kg

the third is the front axle max laden weight 1850kg

the forth is the rear axles max laden weight 2200kg

the unladen weight will not be on the plate usually.

Upvote 0

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I am guessing here (a picture of the plate may help)

I think that 3900kg is GVW (gross vehicle weight)

1850kg maximum front axle weight
2200kg maximum rear axle weight

5500kg GTW (gross train weight) includes any trailer

If I am coorect you should have another weight lower than the GVW if you take that weight away from the GVW that will give your payload.

Hope this helps

All the best Rick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fishman

Fishman

Free Member
Apr 16, 2010
Stockport,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyanne 630LB
Exp
since April 2009
payload solved

Big thanks to Pappa John & Motor Roamin for your quick response makes sense now. 'brain dont hurt as much' Fishman

Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Unladen weight is a statement by the manufacturer.
It does appear on plates.
It cannot be determined by stripping a vehicle down to basics.
Even the Police / Vosa / whatever cant do it.
Unladen Weight is the weight of a vehicle as it rolls of the assembly line, devoid of any load, tools, spare wheel, oils greases or other fluids.

To completely empty and then weigh a vehicle will give the tare weight, which deducted from the MGW (which appears to be 3900 kgs) will give the payload.

To determine what payload I have to play with, I fill up with fuel, water, tools and gas, then weigh the bus, weighing as John says, Gross weight and both axles.
Then ensure you dont exceed the axle weights as per the advice given.

Be aware, though, that the total weight of the axles added together will be greater than the MGW of the vehicle.
This is to allow uneven loading.
Dont overload either and axle or the gross.
I's expensive.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unladen weight is a statement by the manufacturer.
It does appear on plates.
It cannot be determined by stripping a vehicle down to basics.
Even the Police / Vosa / whatever cant do it.
Unladen Weight is the weight of a vehicle as it rolls of the assembly line, devoid of any load, tools, spare wheel, oils greases or other fluids.

To completely empty and then weigh a vehicle will give the tare weight, which deducted from the MGW (which appears to be 3900 kgs) will give the payload.

To determine what payload I have to play with, I fill up with fuel, water, tools and gas, then weigh the bus, weighing as John says, Gross weight and both axles.
Then ensure you dont exceed the axle weights as per the advice given.

Be aware, though, that the total weight of the axles added together will be greater than the MGW of the vehicle.
This is to allow uneven loading.
Dont overload either and axle or the gross.
I's expensive.

agreed John, but regardless of correct terminology the principle is the same.

remove anything not nailed down, cloths, food, bedding, crockery and cutlery etc, then weigh the van.

the difference between the two weights, 'empty' weight and plated gross weight, will be the payload.

what no one has mentioned is its more important to know your actual running weight than the payload allowance.

load the van as you intend using it including fuel, passengers, water and gas etc then visit a weighbridge....as long as you don't go over the gross or individual axle limits then you're OK to roll.

a point about axle weights....as John said the combined axle limits will exceed the gross weight to allow uneven loading.

if you run the rear axle at the max 2200kg then the front axle must be no more than 1700kg (even though the plate says 1850kg) and vice-versa or anywhere in between.

2200kg plus 1700kg = 3900kg.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back