Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Well it is turning colder and the mice are looking for somewhere snug for the winter. Having previously used a rodent scarer which cleared an infestation in our old Beast, I thought we were ok, but ran foul of a flat battery and had a visit from a mouse on a reccy mission. whats the answer well I believe this may be (see link below) it is German built and arrived today, solid german engineering and only uses 5mA, designed to wire direct to your 12V system.
Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
looks good Roger :thumb:

I use a couple of the Aldi specials....same idea but mains powered.

one thing which puzzles me with ultrasonics......how do you know they're working :roflmto:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We got a couple of similar devices to deter moles. Th little sods dug a heap right next to one of them!!! :Angry::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
looks good Roger :thumb:

I use a couple of the Aldi specials....same idea but mains powered.

one thing which puzzles me with ultrasonics......how do you know they're working :roflmto:
I have a frequency counter that shows when they are working, hee hee

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
We got a couple of similar devices to deter moles. The little sods dug a heap right next to one of them!!! :Angry::ROFLMAO:

According to the Washington State University Extension, most rodents hear on the same sound frequencies as humans--which means that if you cannot hear the sound waves or are not bothered by them, neither are most rodents or other pests

Read more

http://www.ehow.com/way_5996350_ultrasonic-pest-removal.html

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We had 3 of these John so I would think at least one would be working. pfffft. The damned things (moles) were coming up all over the place. :shout:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
According to the Washington State University Extension, most rodents hear on the same sound frequencies as humans--which means that if you cannot hear the sound waves or are not bothered by them, neither are most rodents or other pests

Read more

http://www.ehow.com/way_5996350_ultrasonic-pest-removal.html
that is misinformation, the hearing range of humans is 20Hz -20kHz, the hearing range of mice and rats go up to at least 90kHz so can hear ultrasound. caged animals have no choice but to put up with it, free range animals have the choice to avoid it.
moles hearing is much lower from 1Hz to 10Hz so like elephants hear infrasound.

Fact an elephant is more likely to deter a mole than you are ken :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Aaahh so it must've worked then, cos I have to admit it kept the elephants away from the garden. :thumb:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
There is no scientific evidence that ultrasonic pest control works, in fact in all studies carried out it is proved to be ineffective. One study points out that ultrasonics are no more effective than audible sound, another has shown that mice and rats soon become accustomed to the sound and live with it. :Sad:
If it makes you feel happy then go for it but I wouldn't waste my money. :Doh:
Give them a nice meal laced with a good dollop of poison, or set up a few traps, don't leave any traces of food out and fill any holes. :thumb:
Iv'e heard praying works for some so you could try that as well. :Blush:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I got one similar from the USA to keep herons and mink from my lake , supposed to scare birds, rodents , mink etc depending on frequency set, cost me 50 quid , they all dance around it , thinks its a creatures bloody disco :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Lavender has been used for centuries as a natural mouse repellent. We usually get mice in the bedroom cupboards and airing cupboard in winter. We live in an old house and there's just no way of keeping them out. They don't come near the kitchen, thank goodness! We normally lay traps but last year I decided to try lavender. When I cut back my lavender plants, I put the cuttings in pillow cases and put these in the cupboards and for the first time we had no mice. The bedrooms smell great too. If you've got no plants, you could buy lavender oil and use that. I know it's not much of a 'boys toy' so probably won't appeal to many, but it certainly works for me.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Mice!

We've read all the postings about how to avoid mice and have to completely agree with bellabee!:Smile: will give the lavendar a try, thanks for that!
We live in the country and are surrounded by fields, we are also in an old house and there is no way to keep the little critters out because they can squeeze through a gap the width of a pencil:Doh:
There was a rodent expert on Radio 2 a while back and he explained that mice had "floating bones" which flatten down completely to get through the tiniest of gaps. We've had them in the house whilst we were away for a few days and had furnishings chewed, we have also tried the plug-in devices, but the mice just ignore them.
I think the baited trap idea is the best, use chocolate and leave the traps in a corner or close to the edge of the floor where it meets the wall. But we always feel guilty when we get one caught, it must be something about the startled look on the little face.:Smile:
We had a costly repair to the Volvo earlier this year when we took it in for a service, we were amazed and shocked to hear that we needed to replace a breather pipe because it had been chewed away, presumably by a mouse. According to the garage's service department. This was a pain because the repair was over £200 with labour :Eeek:, the car is outside and not garaged. But even that wouldn't have helped because we've had mice in the garage and also a weasel as well.
Might try one of the sonic devices for the mh, but if mice want to come inside the house they will.
We had a bat in the kitchen sink last Christmas, but that's another story:Eeek::Eeek:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
The oldest method in the book for getting rid of "Rodents"... =

:thumb:

Attachments

• imagesCAK85I41.jpg
    imagesCAK85I41.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 5

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
I'm allergic to both lavender and cats. Anyone know where I can get an elephant?

You are in luck, I have just listed one for sale on ebay:thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We had a very strong smell in the van last week which smelt strongly of rodents and I searched and searched but could find no evidence of any damage or droppings, and no it wasnt last nights curry, lasted for days.:roflmto:
But the smell has gone now, wondered what it was, we were in a field then but when we moved away and onto solid ground the smell went, did we go away from it's home I wonder?

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Mice avoidance!

A cat may very well be the best answer to the problem, however, we don't like cats!:Nowink:
It has to be the traditional "false teeth" clapper traps, the type that takes hubby's fingers off when he's setting the damn thing up!:Doh::roflmto:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
At the risk of appearing to be an opportunist and not wanting to upset the powers that be (may his name be forever praised) I have a considerable amount of Lavender growing wild at Quinta Majay... It is PYO though :winky: :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back