Electricity consumption in an RV (1 Viewer)

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Hi,

Does anyone (probably a fulltimer) in an RV know how many kwh they use on average (per day or week, whatever).

I'm wondering what sort of usage to expect in Spain, in the winter :Smile:

Bryan

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Search Scot Jims posts he had it down to a penny

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As long as a piece of string Bryan.. what will you be using ?

Tot up the kw of each appliance, space heating, fridge/freezer, hot water and factor in some time for kettle, TV etc ...

To keep an eye on it and to know EXACTLY what we were using I fitted an Owl monitor.. about £25 .. you can also set the alarm on it to warn when you are close to the EHU max amps.. saves tripping it by accident ..

from my experience of metered leccy in Spain.. (and the UK) it's a lot cheaper to run as much as possible on LPG ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Thanks for the replies...

I guess what I'm after is a rough idea...

£50/£100/150 per month...that sort of thing

We cook with an electric halogen oven, fridge on elec, a/c used at the moment (about 1/2 hour a day) TV for about three hours a day I reckon (on average). Computer stuff on all day of course :winky:

Just want a rough ballpark figure to help with an idea I have.

Also, what sort of cost is a kwh in the UK?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you have the vehicle already. It may be worth splashing out on a digital w/h meter and living in the van for a couple of days on your drive.

Some people (probably most) would be surprised at how much they use.

If you own a house and expect to live in the same style then plan to use the same amount on site (should be slightly lower)

It is one of those how long is a piece of string questions unfortunately.

As a fulltimer that is now trying to live off hookup I am paying more attention to this and realising that to reach my goal I do need to do without more and more that I took for granted.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just want a rough ballpark figure to help with an idea I have.
Are you going to be flogging leccy meter cards now as well Bryan? :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, I can't help with the cost per Kwh, without rummaging about looking for previous bills, and disturbing SWMBO. :winky:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you have an extendastay setup for your gas its cheaper to run your fridge freezer on gas in Spain than electric. If you have solar panels and can switch off your battery charger that's a big help too. My old RV was all 230 volt so no 110 stepper so all I have is a battery charger to switch off. I could stay well under the kw per day limit whilst long terming in Spain using this setup.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Assuming a 16A EHU supply , the max you can use is 3.68kw per hour which equals 88.32 kw per day ... it's easy to max out a 16A supply in winter.. maybe not 24/7 but certainly during waking hours...

On the site we were charged 14p per kwh , (2008-9 price, may be more now)

There are many domestic tariffs and permutations, but ballpark is 10p kwh

In the uk in winter, at 14p per kwh, running oil filled heaters 24/7 + fridge, hot water, TV, hot plate, microwave and washing machine ( full size domestic) , battery charging . computers etc we were using about £3 -£5 per day., so I switched to LPG for heating, cooking, hot water and fridge.. that cut it down dramatically, £1 - £2 per day

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Assuming a 16A EHU supply , the max you can use is 3.68kw per hour which equals 88.32 kw per day ... it's easy to max out a 16A supply in winter.. maybe not 24/7 but certainly during waking hours...

On the site we were charged 14p per kwh , (2008-9 price, may be more now)

There are many domestic tariffs and permutations, but ballpark is 10p kwh

In the uk in winter, at 14p per kwh, running oil filled heaters 24/7 + fridge, hot water, TV, hot plate, microwave and washing machine ( full size domestic) , battery charging . computers etc we were using about £3 -£5 per day., so I switched to LPG for heating, cooking, hot water and fridge.. that cut it down dramatically, £1 - £2 per day

Last winter in Southern Spain we were on a site that allowed just over 2KWh per day in with the tarrif then it was 0.5 euro a KWh in excess.

However when they read the meter at the end of our stay they refunded our electricity deposit and there was no excess charge even though I had calulated we has used on average 60 euro per month over the allowance.

That was running a Fridge, Battery Charger, laptop, 24/7. TV & Sky box as and when needed. Heating, Water heater and cooking on gas.

We used a 12.5kg bottle of gas a week which started off at 11 euro in December but rose to 15 euro by May.

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Sites we have stayed on in Spain usually charge about .35 euro per KW so as Jim says use gas whenever possible. Thats assuming you can get LPG without a long trip.

We didn't realise how much we were usuing last year until time to pay. Paid about 100 euros for 5 weeks. Even the warden was surprised it was so much. We did have a big double fridge freezer which we kept running on electric. Big mistake.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi,

Does anyone (probably a fulltimer) in an RV know how many kwh they use on average (per day or week, whatever).

I'm wondering what sort of usage to expect in Spain, in the winter :Smile:

Bryan

do you run your on board genny?? well if you look at its rating run it and then put on your equipment then you will see when you trip it out what the full KVA is if your daft enough to run all your equipment on a mains hookup you`l trip that out way befoer your genny

if you only have 10amp supply youl will not run everything at the same time
the air con+ fridge + microwave will be an overload

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back