Advice please; Hymer dump valve problem (1 Viewer)

offwego

Free Member
May 13, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer T656
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi all,
Hoping that some of you experienced funsters can help with a fresh water dump valve fault.
In May this year, I purchased a Hymer T656, which was first registered in November 2007. In preparation for a winter lay-up, I attempted to drain down the fresh water tank only to find that the dump valve was seized. As I live in a hard water area of France, I believe that a build up of calcium carbonate around the valve(inside the tank) has caused the seizure. I think that the previous owner must have had difficulty in opening the valve since the square brass shaft (on which the operating wheel sits) has been damaged.This is shown in pic 001.
I have managed to expel most of the water by opening the sink and wash basin taps and letting the pump do the rest.
I believe that this model of motorhome was not sold in the UK, but I am sure that Hymer vans imported into the UK (circa 2007,2008) would have had a similar if not an identical fresh water system fitted.
My questions are as follows:-

a) Would it be worth trying to free up the dump valve with a solution of vinegar and water and/or gentle tapping? I ask myself the question, if this is what has happenend to the valve in what state is the pump, although at the moment it appears to be working fine.

b) Is the complete dump valve assembly a replaceable item ? There is some access to the shaft inside the tank, which may just be visible in pic 004. I have not been under the van to see what part of the mechanism is visible from there.

Most grateful for any advice or your experience of this problem.

kind regards,
offwego

Attachments

• dump_valve001.jpg
    dump_valve001.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 49
  • dump_valve004.jpg
    dump_valve004.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 43

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
dump valve

hi offwego,

From memory, the shaft or the valve is square, have you tried turning the valve using the shaft and also, try turning it backwards.

Philk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
O

offwego

Free Member
May 13, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer T656
Exp
I am a newbie
hi offwego,

From memory, the shaft or the valve is square, have you tried turning the valve using the shaft and also, try turning it backwards.

Philk

Hi Philk,

Thanks for your reply. You are correct, in that the part of the shaft visible outside the tank is a square brass shaft onto which the operating wheel sits. As this shows some sign of damage already and it does not appear very strong, I am reluctant to try and turn it by force in case it shears.
Inside the tank, there appears to be a cylindrical keyed shaft which opens/closes the valve. I have tried turning this by hand without any success. Perhaps the idea of soaking overnight in vinegar may loosen up the mechanism.

regards,
offwego

Allegro83

Free Member
Jul 20, 2010
Balfron, Stirling
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer L
Exp
15 years
We use a solution of water/wine vinegar in ratio 2/1 to descale the hot water boiler however you then heat the water. Same with the kettle when we have been to France/Spain. Could you add hot water/wine vinegar and then leave overnight?

Jan

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just add the water and vinigar
Drink the wine
You wont care if it works or not:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Soaking in neat vinegar overnight may work.. if not, measure the diameter of the valve and buy a new one from CAK tanks... http://www.caktanks.co.uk/
Hi Jim,

I am sure that this is a Hymer specific item, and it doesn't appear to be available from Broken Link Removed.

Being an older model, ours is just a wee plug on the end of a chain. :Smile:

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back