Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
Thetford, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
I have a 1999 Elddis Peugeot on an Alko chassis that has covered only 19,000 miles. It passed its M.O.T. a couple of weeks ago with no problem and this problem pre-dates the MOT by a couple of months.
My brake fluid needed topping up before leaving to go to the Lincoln Show, after the show I went on to Skegness, Grimsby and then home to Thetford. On arriving home the reservoir was half empty again, I had travelled a total of 295 miles.
I have checked the brake calipers, wheel cylinders and brake lines with no signs of any visible leaks. The brakes are working perfectly.

If anyone has any experience of this or any suggestion as to where/why my brake fluid is going, I would appreciate any advice.
Many thanks
Ron

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
ronnie! you might want to check you brake pads in the front.as they have 2 big piston's on each caliper and if the pads are worn right down might be where the fluid has gone:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It may be leaking into the brake booster itself.

The seal that seperats the booster from the master can get damaged and allow the booster topull vacuum from the master. If it is not too bad, it may not smoke out of the exhaust,but you should be able to smell the odor from the exhaust. It may not be too stong but it can be the only explaination for fluid loss if there are no drips, and the fittings are dry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i'll go with Jim on this.

if there's no visible leaks on the external components it only leaves an internally leaking master cylinder.
just a pinhole sized hole in the pushrod seal is enough.

OP
OP
RonnieJ

RonnieJ

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
Thetford, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Thanks Chris but the pads are like new, Looks like i shall have to take the booster apart as Jim said.

OP
OP
RonnieJ

RonnieJ

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
Thetford, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Fixed it , you were right ,new master cylinder £46.00 all done thanks chaps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Just think if you had a new van like mine a light would be on and loads of warnings you would be able to take it to a Fiat dealer who would plug it in to the computer and charge you 100 £ just to tell you not sure what is causing it book it in and we will change a few parts to see if we can guess whats wrong and charge you a fortune see what your missing out on with your old technology van:Eeek:
The amount it cost you would not get a dealer to lift the bonnet:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
This age of van has a major weak point in the brake lines. If you look at the master cylinder, then follow the pipes down as they go to the bulkhead and beneath the van.

Just as they go out of sight, and hidden behind other components, there is a clamp which holds the brake pipes to the body - this is where they rot, as it holds all manner of grub and grime. This is probably where it is weeping from - it is very hard to see, and I have seen vehicles fail after having a strict VOSA MOT days before - you just cannot see that section of pipe!

Have a look down there - more than likely the culprit at that age of vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back