Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A story in the Times today is of much interest to us travellers. The times is behind a paywall so I won't add a link, but here's the gist in my words.

New police estimates suggest that over 150 teams of bagsnatchers are looking for victims everyday in Barcelona. A bunch of Brits who are tired of the 90 robberies a day have set up a website called Robbed in Barcelona in the hope of embarrasing the city into doing something about it. Crazy rules that do not allow police to detain the theives on the street if the sum stolen is less than €400 are not helping.
http://www.robbedinbarcelona.com/
Let's be careful out there:thumb:

NB: DON'T BE A VICTIM if you would like to know how to almost totally eliminate the risk of you being a victim of street crime then read the book in my signature The Motorhome Security Handbook. :Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have got your book Jim.

After reading the first few chapters it certainly made me a lot more observant of things going on around me.

Great tips :thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Barcelona has always been a high risk City for pickpockets and the like. There are so many people around and so many distractions that you really do have to watch yourself.

Les Rambles is probably the worst area for pickpockets/bag snatching, there are so many side streets that thieves can escape down.
Jim
:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
New police estimates suggest that over 150 teams of bagsnatchers are looking for victims everyday in Barcelona.

Last month Rome. 8 of us on the underground, packed in like cattle, 3 pick pocket attempts as soon as the doors closed.

My case, for no reason I put my hand in my trouser pocket and found another hand. It was so quick I though I had just brushed against the pretty young girl next to me. I apologised. It took a while to realise just what had happened.

Chrisboyo felt his zip being undone, no not that one, his trouser pocket. Another young girl got her hand slapped.

Mrs Hilldweller had a swarthy young eastern European trying to unzip her bag, twice.

All failed more by good luck then anything.

When it's unbearably HOT, crowded, mind on "getting there" we let our guard slip. You have been warned.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
A story in the Times today is of much interest to us travellers. The times is behind a paywall so I won't add a link, but here's the gist in my words.
New police estimates suggest that over 150 teams of bagsnatchers are looking for victims everyday in Barcelona. A bunch of Brits who are tired of the 90 robberies a day have set up a website called Robbed in Barcelona in the hope of embarrasing the city into doing something about it. Crazy rules that do not allow police to detain the theives on the street if the sum stolen is less than €400 are not helping.
http://www.robbedinbarcelona.com/
Let's be careful out there:thumb:
NB: DON'T BE A VICTIM if you would like to know how to almost totally eliminate the risk of you being a victim of street crime then read the book in my signature The Motorhome Security Handbook. :Smile:
I was in L’Estartit some years ago, I was a regular to the area. This particular year I had a bag stolen from the van while asleep I chased him about a mile but I guess he was fitter than me. Following this I was on the case, I found a number of Moroccans along the beach each day breaking into cars and vans. The police didn’t want to know, I went to the station with a complaint and was told it would be too expensive as any plain clothes duty's would have to stay in plain clothes for a minimum two year period. A union ruling You can imagine what I said. I’ve not been back since.:Angry:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
yes, in Barcelona assume that every person is attempting to rob you. If you take your bikes off the bike rack someone will try to pinch the one you have removed while you remove the other. If you attach a bag to your bike they will steal it while you are dealing with the other bike.

When you are driving on the autopista keep your doors locked, they will attempt to distract you and rob stuff out of your door pockets.

We close all windows, put the blinds up and tie all the doors together. We keep our money and camera safe and expect every single person to attempt to grab it.

We don't use these tactics any more..... because Barcelona has changed..... no, we keep well away, they are all thieving bastards.

Four attempted thefts, one successful, lesson learned.

One interesting anecdote, we reported a theft in Benidorm and the police wanted to solve the crime..... took me totally by surprise, never expected that. Much more used to ... "not a lot we can do".

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Not much has changed then.........

My mum had her handbag picked while walking through a crowded Barcelona shopping area the first time we ever went to Spain in 1963
:Doh:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Paris is no better, gangs of kids pickpocket you as they lkook in yoiur face..they are not bothered at all, kinda spoils the romance a bit.:Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back