Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Well we planted two kiwi plants 5 years ago a male and female...and this year is the first year we have had fruit....about 30 kiwi's...hard to find as they tuck themselves under the leaves...so I thought I would put a few photos on.....my next door neighbour gets kilo's and kilo's....but he has been growing them for years:RollEyes:.... me I am just a "L" learner:Doh::winky::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• PA020055.jpg
    PA020055.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 33
  • PA020056.jpg
    PA020056.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 31
  • PA020057.jpg
    PA020057.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 30
  • PA020059.jpg
    PA020059.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 29
  • PA020060.jpg
    PA020060.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 28

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That's fantastic. well done:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow well done you! That's brilliant.:thumb:

Can you tell me since you are obviously a gardener, when my passion flower (climber) dies (the flowers) can I eat the orange type fruit that appears?

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Wow well done you! That's brilliant.:thumb:

Can you tell me since you are obviously a gardener, when my passion flower (climber) dies (the flowers) can I eat the orange type fruit that appears?

Joy, I am not sure....My belief is yes BUT check with an expert, that I am not,
The Passion Flower & fruit, the ones in your garden ????...I used to have many varieties of passion flowers in our English garden...but never tried eating one.....
Oh by the way nice see you back on the forum:thumb:.....
Gardening I am still learning:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just googled this...
Passion Flower Facts
"Passion flower facts include that it is a hardy, woody vine that grows up to 10 m long and puts off tendrils so that it can climb and grow on other plants in the rainforest. The appearance of the flower is quite striking; large white flowers with pink or purple centers. The flower gets its name from Spanish missionaries who associated the flowers with the Passion of the Christ. The passion flower vine produces a tasty fruit which is about the size of a large lemon, wrinkling slightly when ripe. The flower is indigenous to many tropical and semi-tropical areas from South America to North "
"
"Passion flowers are perennial vines that are noted for their beautiful flowers and edible fruit; the plants are tropical and can bloom year round, if planted in the correct climate.
Function
Passion flowers are used in landscaping and gardening as well as homeopathic medicine for their anti-anxiety and sedative properties."
All mention eating the fruits from the passion flower.......but check first:Eeek::Doh:

Mel

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
do the fruit grow on both trees? How big are the bushes, quite fancy growing some

Roger..No... only fruit on the one plant the female.... it is a vine...grows around 6' to 8' but with it being a vine you can train at 5' to go length ways, it's up to you Roger ..you have the male and female together the male produces lots of flowers large clusters of deep yellowish golden flowers underneath the leaves hard to see them and die very quickly...
Roger very easy to grow you do not have do anything but tie the quite heavy vines to some structure....you need some wooden structure quite large for it to grow on and hold its weight, and that is it....I was told it will not fruit till the fourth year...and it did but the 4th year it produced one small round Kiwi...this year the 5th around 30 that I have counted could be another one or two maybe, hard to find with the colour olive like the leaves.....take care as the vine branch is very brittle and can snap off
Roger our climate where we live will not be much different than yours....good luck:thumb:

Mel:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Kiwis are in full prodution after seven years, generally get a few after four years then gradually increases, as I've said full production after Seven years.
If you grow them on a T Bar set up the fruit hangs down underneath , so, are easy to see. To increase fertilsation, take the male flower, and pollinate four female flowers, then get another male and so on and so on.
Problem! Bees don't like Kiwi Fruit, not enough pollen in the flowers, we kept hives in the centre of the orchard, so the bees had no choice.

Another tip, don't know if you'll be up for this, but, Your "first water" in the morning, is full of UREA, just the thing to encourage fruit production:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Another tip, don't know if you'll be up for this, but, Your "first water" in the morning, is full of UREA, just the thing to encourage fruit production:thumb:

Which proves, beyond doubt, that all Kiwis are piss takers::bigsmile:

And cheats:roflmto:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Kiwis are in full prodution after seven years, generally get a few after four years then gradually increases, as I've said full production after Seven years.
If you grow them on a T Bar set up the fruit hangs down underneath , so, are easy to see. To increase fertilsation, take the male flower, and pollinate four female flowers, then get another male and so on and so on.
Problem! Bees don't like Kiwi Fruit, not enough pollen in the flowers, we kept hives in the centre of the orchard, so the bees had no choice.

You are correct about the T-Bar..I forgot to mention it to Rodger:Doh:...mine is on one...

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
TREACLE!!! You are getting as bad as the Welsh Wizard, and our illustrious leader!

So!:Blush: Heres one for each of you:thumb:

:moon::moon::moon:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Also when putting your bedding plants out next Spring, water your geraniums with wee. They will grow HUGE and have loads of flowers filling up those spaces in your borders.... so an expert told me.:Smile: This makes it the man around the house's job to do the watering I guess.:RollEyes:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Joy, I am not sure....My belief is yes BUT check with an expert, that I am not,
The Passion Flower & fruit, the ones in your garden ????...I used to have many varieties of passion flowers in our English garden...but never tried eating one.....
Oh by the way nice see you back on the forum:thumb:.....
Gardening I am still learning:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just googled this...
Passion Flower Facts
"Passion flower facts include that it is a hardy, woody vine that grows up to 10 m long and puts off tendrils so that it can climb and grow on other plants in the rainforest. The appearance of the flower is quite striking; large white flowers with pink or purple centers. The flower gets its name from Spanish missionaries who associated the flowers with the Passion of the Christ. The passion flower vine produces a tasty fruit which is about the size of a large lemon, wrinkling slightly when ripe. The flower is indigenous to many tropical and semi-tropical areas from South America to North "
"
"Passion flowers are perennial vines that are noted for their beautiful flowers and edible fruit; the plants are tropical and can bloom year round, if planted in the correct climate.
Function
Passion flowers are used in landscaping and gardening as well as homeopathic medicine for their anti-anxiety and sedative properties."
All mention eating the fruits from the passion flower.......but check first:Eeek::Doh:

Mel

Have grown several passion flowers over the years, always on a south facing wall. The biggest one I ever grew was up a railway wall. It must have been 25 ft high and covered in the purple flowers. I only had one that bore fruit and that was outside a house that was in a very sheltered position. Whilst in France this summer I took a dozen cuttings and put them in a glass of water deftly balanced in the cup holder. Have planted all of them out this last week as they are going strongly. Passion flowers are one of the easies plants to get going and once established you can virtually watch them growing. Regarding the eating of the fruit I did try fruit from the one that fruited but found it bitter.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Be very careful Mel with the Asian hornets which are killing our poor little bees. They are getting more and more inland in France and without our little bees ... no fruits!!!! If you see a hudge nest hanging in a tree , contact the mairie to have it destroyed. thes nests look funny like a big white pear. We have a hive here at the stadium and it is awfull to see those hornets taking away a bee for their meal each single second:Sad: :Sad:; I hope we will manage to get rid of them ! They are a real threat !

Amicalement

Frankie

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad:Oh Frankie, that is horrible.... I hate seeing anything like that. Saw a wasp stinging a beautiful butterfly to death once, slowly and without let up. Even after I held them down to try and rescue the butterfly the wasp wouldn't give up and kept attacking it again and again. I know I needed to kill the butterfly to put it out of its misery but just couldn't do it. I have never gotten over the guilt... I did kill the wasp though.

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Be very careful Mel with the Asian hornets which are killing our poor little bees. They are getting more and more inland in France and without our little bees ... no fruits!!!! If you see a hudge nest hanging in a tree , contact the mairie to have it destroyed. thes nests look funny like a big white pear. We have a hive here at the stadium and it is awfull to see those hornets taking away a bee for their meal each single second:Sad: :Sad:; I hope we will manage to get rid of them ! They are a real threat !

Amicalement

Frankie

Will do Frankie:Eeek:...We did have one starting a new nest in Christine's greenhouse But as there were only 4 hornets at work I quickly killed and burnt them...they may have been european hornets a lot bigger than wasps with longer legs that hang down....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back