Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Im bracing myself for some fun answers here to the basic question how do you use your toilet. But I have 2 serious questions.

1. to do with the actuall cassette dribbling when emptying
2. Correct way to use the loo

I have the dark grey /orange thetford cassette...it has an extendable handle as well. and it sits under a toilet seat with a lever on the lower body of the bowl which manually slides the plastic barrier across. This is in my 2009 Autotrail.

We normally only do no 1s as we stay on CC mostly.

But I have noticed that when I empty the cassette.....taking the orange top off the cassette filling tube and pressing the button as well that I am getting a "dribble"
coming from under the grey sliding flap that covers the black plastic sliding seal.
Its easy to clean up and dissinfect...but should it dribble from there?

Is this right..has a gasket/seal gone..........or are we using the loo correctly.??
Also can these be serviced? I fill and flush with water between trips..then prime it again.

Now for the technical details......I pee then close the lid.. slide the barrier open..then give it an electirc flush or two then leave.

Its sad a man of my age needs to be told how to use the loo.....but Im not proud..........

Any thoughts ???........and dont hold back with detailed correct procedure for No.1s and No2s this will be helpful if you wouldnt mind but probably best done without photos.

Im bracing myself for the answers:Smile:

barry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
full flush system much better
redneck_toilet.jpg

no sog required either.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Mine does not dribble.......... (maybe because I'm a few years younger though:Blush:)

Seriously no dribble at all, but we have the light grey, yellow cap cassette...

No 2 technique for me, as follows......

Open hatch

Line bowl around hatch with loo paper, 2 sheets either side...

Do the biz.....

Quick flush, minimising water consumption.....

Very little to clean, as paper slides down the hatch taking "residues" with it....

Hope that's not too much detail........................................:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you may be getting the dribble because you don't open first or maybe your just not closing it enough

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I probably dribbles because there is some liquid still on top of the flap/blade. Before taking cassette out to empty open and shut the blade in the seat to make sure there is no residue left between the blade and the plastic slide that covers it when pulled out.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
You are taking the piss are'nt you?::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
guaranteed way to stop the dribble......pee in the wash basin :roflmto:

seriously, it sounds like the blade seal needs renewing.

parts readily available and an easy job.
usually a series of screws around and under the sliding cover, remove the plate and the lip seal is underneath.

click
Link Removed then choose your toilet and look at the parts list for the part number.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Ours does exactly the same......it is only relativly clean flush water,but as John (roadrunner) says is easily cured by opening the hatch for a few seconds with the cassette flat either insitu or on the ground......this will drain it into the tank & no dribbles:Smile:
DO NOT FORGET TO SHUT THE FLAP BEFORE UPENDING THE CASSETTE OR YOU WILL GET MORE THAN JUST A DRIBBLE:ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I probably dribbles because there is some liquid still on top of the flap/blade. Before taking cassette out to empty open and shut the blade in the seat to make sure there is no residue left between the blade and the plastic slide that covers it when pulled out.

Beat me to it John. Ours is the one with yellow caps as well but we get the dribble if I don't remember to open/shut.

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
This is normal ours does it and has done from day one it is just excess flush water inbetween the slideflap and seal, its the flush water stil in bowl when you have shut flap it gathers up and sits there.

Best way to tell if your seal is gone is to fill bowl up alittle at the bottom with flap closed and leave it if the water is still there after 1/2 hr then seal is super fine remember if seal is gone it will leak both ways :thumb: (Don't leave a floater in there though)

Craig

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have found dribble from the flap on our C250 is residual flushing water laying on top of the blade.
An additional opening and shutting of the blade after flushing will fling off any unwanted water and prevent dribble during transit to the emptying point!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Ive now got an answer to the dribble thanks for the detailed replies. ........and I take it that its always flap open for no 1 and no2..Im laughing as Im typing this.....but its serious !!!!!!

barry

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

John is correct... I have the same cassette as you the 250...orange and grey with wheels and handle
After you shut your flap you will still get a small amount of the clean water you have flushed with running down the inside of your toilet bowl that has settled on top of the rubber seal under the grey slide:winky:

Now pee with flap open then flush.......for the other, the nitty gritty hard lumps....shut flap fill bowl with a small amount of water, you will find out how much trial and error....use it like a normal home toilet....you get no smells as the lumps are inside the water covered......then when finished pull the flap and flush,,,simples straight down the pan.....now when I said it is trial and error how much water you put in the bowl, if you fill to much,it depends how much you do in it and don't forget you may pee as well...OOOOPs over the side it will come......and don't bother priming the cassette after you empty, you are only filling the cassette back up again, making less room for the 1s and 2s to go in

Mel

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
This is normal ours does it and has done from day one it is just excess flush water inbetween the slideflap and seal, its the flush water stil in bowl when you have shut flap it gathers up and sits there.

Best way to tell if your seal is gone is to fill bowl up alittle at the bottom with flap closed and leave it if the water is still there after 1/2 hr then seal is super fine remember if seal is gone it will leak both ways :thumb: (Don't leave a floater in there though)

Craig

Thanks Craig........just left half a pint of water in there for half an hour
and it was still there.....so looks like the seal is ok

I will make sure I pull the flap across a couple of times before I empty it .

out of interest...is the flap part of the cassette or part of the loo ?

barry

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i think its a double flap but not looked down whilst the cassette is out

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thanks Craig........just left half a pint of water in there for half an hour
and it was still there.....so looks like the seal is ok

I will make sure I pull the flap across a couple of times before I empty it .

out of interest...is the flap part of the cassette or part of the loo ?

barry

The grey slide is part of the cassette and can be removed to clean when required ...the black flap is also part of the cassette when you remove the grey slide ...easy just slide it along ...you can turn the (I think it is a yellow or orange) knob at the side of the grey flap and the internal slide will open and close ...to clean if and when required:thumb:...also a tip, sometimes you may get a grey colouring on the black slide...hard water lime...just dribble a small amount of vinegar on the black flap leave for a few minutes then flush......a clean black flap again....

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
They say you learn something every day:Smile:

Well I certainly have today

barry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Sounds like, as pappa john suggested, the blade seal has worn. You can test this by filling your bowl.......water would be best! lol!.......and see it it leaks down into the cassette. When you put your blade across, does it need and wxtra push to seal? This usually is a pointer. If it is a new-to-you van, or has been unused for a while, you may have a dried seal.

Fill you cassette with water - and up-end it, Are the other seals leaking? Look at the vent (grey one) and the push button (yellow). Remove the cap and inspect your outlet end, and cap. Look for 'nicks' around the rim from being manhandled or dropped whilst emptying - this may also cause other leaks.

If any of these OTHER leak areas do indeed leak - then look at getting a 'freshen-up kit' which includes a whole new cassette, toilet seat with lid and some cleaners. These cost around £70

If JUST the seal is gone, then these are around £14 from your caravan shop.

Coat your seal with olive oil during stand up periods to keep it supple.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Has anyone yet mentioned saving money by using biological washing liquid/powder instead of toilet chemicals?::bigsmile:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Don't use any chemicals just empty regularly, the cassette you fool:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back