Possible clutch judder on 59 plate transit based motorhome (1 Viewer)

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Hi,
I just bought a 59 plate Chausson based on a 2.2 transit.
When I pull away in 1st gear there is a little judder on the clutch and you can stall it if you are not careful.
However, with a bit of getting used to it and careful clutch control there is no judder at all, just need to give it a bit more right foot really.
Now I don't know whether it's just me that needs to get used to it or if there's a problem. Anyone else either got a transit and can tell me what there's is like or knows anything about this?
Thanks

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi,
When I pull away in 1st gear there is a little judder on the clutch and you can stall it if you are not careful.
However, with a bit of getting used to it and careful clutch control there is no judder at all, just need to give it a bit more right foot really.
Now I don't know whether it's just me that needs to get used to it or if there's a problem. Anyone else either got a transit and can tell me what there's is like or knows anything about this?
Thanks

Sounds like you have a problem with the dual mass flywheel. Shouldn't be a problem on a 59 plate though, just take it along to your Ford Dealer and have it replaced under warranty.
Best of luck:winky:

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Thanks for the reply, might well be the wise thing to do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is a typical Ford trait, we've had it, and have experienced it on other Fords, both Mk 6 and Mk 7 - trying to pull away can be a pain until you get used to it as you'll often stall it. I wouldn't think it is a fault as such, it just means that you have to have to learn the 'method' of Ford clutch control ....:RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
have you had a transit base before ?

my previous experience with various transits (not motorhomes) is, they need a little more 'urge' on the loud pedal before letting the clutch in from standstill.

but then I'm biased.....never have liked Ford diesels, the older ones sounding like shaking a cast iron bath full of hammer heads :RollEyes:

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Hi
Thanks for replies no I haven't had a transit base before which is why I was wondering if it was me or not.
Any other opinions welcome, cheers.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

I can also agree it just sounds like a Ford transit clutch. I have always found that a little bit more loud pedal on starting off was required

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
"They all do that Sir"
No they don't......

I have an 05 Transit base vehicle, and it's silky smooth pulling away.
I think you'll just have to adjust to its foibles.....

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, if you are talking about the automatic rise in revs as you pull away in first gear, don't worry this is Fords answer to help you not stall. A little rev blip was introduced in the latest software remap, you soon get used to it, :thumb:

Regards Richard

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
Hi,
Thanks
hello there i wouldnt worry about it most vans when left parked up do the this my merc has been doing it and my swift done it before that so bit more gas and when the clutch plate warms up it will be fine ?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have a Chausson on a 2010 RWD Transit 2.4 140ps, it needs a few more revs than you'd expect to get it moving without an embarrassing stall, but take-up is always smooth.
My 2007 2.2 85ps FWD work van, however, is much more diesel-like and pulls away with far fewer revs on despite the fact it is near its max gross weight of 3000kg all the time. I have known this van to judder very occasionally if I pile on too many revs and slip the clutch in a effort to keep the turbo spooled up and pull away quickly. It has covered 105k on its original clutch and flywheel so far, however........
So say clutch judder is a Transit trait I feel could be misleading.

If you are genuinely getting juddering, I'd run it down your local Ford dealer just to be sure it gets sorted before you have to pay yourself!:Sad:

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Thanks again folks, it's not major judder and isn't there at all with a bit more revs so just sounds like a ford thing, but will get it checked out just in case.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back