Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi all.......my pc keeps telling me it is missing
do i need it? or is it a way of getting my money?
i have had my broadband up daterd to adsl2 on aol top speed only lasted a few days.
i run avast security and melawear for spam.please help
dave

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it'll be something come in on a download or email.....or even from AOL itself.

ignore it....if it was essential then it would have been pre-programmed by the PC maker.

if you want a registry cleaner try Link Removed or Link Removed....both free downloads from the web with regular updates.

keeping the registry clean speeds up you PC.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I use Auslogics both the registry cleaner and the defrag programs which are also free from cnet

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I have never used a registry cleaner before, I always re format around every 18 months.
I downloaded Comodo last night and tried a registry clean up. All seemed to go well at first, but then my pooter slowed to a crawl and all sorts of weird things happened. Like Firefox would not open up.
Anyhoo restored to pre Comodo and all is back to normal.
Think I will stick to the occasional reformat in future. :cry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Unless there is a specific problem that needs fixing I wouldn't use any registry cleaner... it is courting disaster ... been there all too often and ended up reformatting..

This comment from a software site says it all for me ..

The Registry is an enormous database and all this “Cleaning” really doesn’t amount to much…I’ve said this before, but I liken it to “sweeping out one parking space in a parking lot the size of Montana” … a registry “tweak” here and there is desirable or even necessary sometimes, but random “cleaning”, especially for the novice, is inviting disaster.

I also would like someone to show me any hard evidence that registry cleaning actually improves performance. (Unless there is a specific problem that has to be addressed by making changes to the registry).
Sorry to go on like this, but I feel there is way to much Registry “Cleaning” going on these days just for the sake of “cleaning”.

I’d go a step further: Don’t run registry cleaner programs, period. I won’t go so far as to call them snake oil, but what possible performance benefits can you get from “cleaning up” unneeded registry entries and eliminating a few stray DLL files? Even in the best-case scenario the impact should be trivial at best. Maybe a second or two here and there, maybe a few kilobytes of freed-up RAM, and I’m being generous. How can you balance those against the risk that the utility will “clean” (in other words, delete) something you really need, causing a program or feature to fail?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
what possible performance benefits can you get from “cleaning up” unneeded registry entries and eliminating a few stray DLL files? Even in the best-case scenario the impact should be trivial at best. Maybe a second or two here and there, maybe a few kilobytes of freed-up RAM, and I’m being generous. How can you balance those against the risk that the utility will “clean” (in other words, delete) something you really need, causing a program or feature to fail?

in just one 24hr period i have accumulated 12.6Mb of registry clutter.
the system still has to trawl through this junk looking for usable files....all takes time.

i usually clean out every couple of weeks or so and can run into many hundreds of Mb

Attachments

• c cleaner grab.jpg
    c cleaner grab.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 9

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
in just one 24hr period i have accumulated 12.6Mb of registry clutter.
the system still has to trawl through this junk looking for usable files....all takes time.

i usually clean out every couple of weeks or so and can run into many hundreds of Mb

what your showing is junk files John .. not registry entries

I also run CCleaner for that purpose, but don't run the registry cleaner

I would recommend Revo uninstaller which makes a far better job of removing programs than Windows own uninstaller

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ooops...my mistake Jim.

took a screen grab of the wrong screen :Doh::Blush:

as i cleaned it out while it was open i cant grab the relevant screen now.

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
thanks for the info....im not well up on these things i installed the reg/mac and the short cut..but a small screen keeps coming up when i log in saying it is missing please reload and heres me thinking if you install its gone!.i do have auslogics de frag.
the program came in with the flash player update i never noticed the box to unchecked it it took me to ...pc tools website witch is a give me the f%$&£ money the same when i wonted spy Doctor witch i have had before but it was free ,not now
dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back