LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
If you have a licence for your home you can use TV in the van as long as both are not in use at the same time. :thumb:

There ya go Hilda a mine of useless information he he

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
If you have a licence for your home you can use TV in the van as long as both are not in use at the same time. :thumb:

There ya go Hilda a mine of useless information he he

I will second that:thumb:....absolutely correct

As this info is clearly printed on the rear of a TV licence are we to assume Mr Shiftzz you have no such document:winky::Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
This subject cropped up a few years ago when small portables which ran on 12 volts started getting cheaper and truck drivers started buying them..It was one of those GREY Areas at the time as no one really knew...But suffice to say if you have one in your home location you are OK

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Just been on tv license web site and you do not need a license as it will be covered by your house license unless you have a static caravan.
link below plus extract from page

Rob

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/second-home-aud8/

You don’t need a separate TV Licence for

Any device powered solely by its own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains). Your main home’s TV Licence will cover this.
Boats, touring caravans or vehicles as they’re already covered by your main home’s TV Licence.
Static caravans, mobile homes or moveable chalets. Your main home’s TV Licence will cover you provided you don’t watch TV in both homes at the same time. In this case you would need to complete a declaration form.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As said.... Unless you are full timing with no home address..
its my understanding that GENERALLY, the detector vans are sent to areas where a number of TV licences haven't been renewed or where they suspect TV's are in use without a licence ie, run down housing estates, etc.....even the BBC cant afford vans driving around willy-nilly looking for illegal TV sets.

this being the case, how will they know where to look if you are a full timer and occasionally move on. :Eeek::winky:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
As said.... Unless you are full timing with no home address..

its my understanding that GENERALLY, the detector vans are sent to areas where a number of TV licences haven't been renewed or where they suspect TV's are in use without a licence ie, run down housing estates, etc.....even the BBC cant afford vans driving around willy-nilly looking for illegal TV sets.

this being the case, how will they know where to look if you are a full timer and occasionally move on. :Eeek::winky:

Can you even buy a tv licence if you are a full timer with no fixed address. If you cant buy one how can you be prosecuted for not having one.
Jim
:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Can you even buy a tv licence if you are a full timer with no fixed address. If you cant buy one how can you be prosecuted for not having one.
Jim

Can you buy a NEW TV without an address ??

I couldn't .. had to use the pub address where we were working

any trader who sells or rents televisions or DVD/video recorders must give TV Licensing the customers’ names and addresses, and these will be checked against the record of who already has a television licence;

more mind numbing info here Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can you buy a NEW TV without an address ??

I couldn't .. had to use the pub address where we were working

more mind numbing info here Link Removed
method in the madness Jim, I believe the retailer is obliged to inform TV licensing with your details so they can cross reference the details with their records..no licence at that address and they come asking awkward questions. :Angry:

yet you can just buy one at a supermarket, no questions asked. (or you could a while back)

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
method in the madness Jim, I believe the retailer is obliged to inform TV licensing with your details so they can cross reference the details with their records..no licence at that address and they come asking awkward questions. :Angry:

yet you can just buy one at a supermarket, no questions asked. (or you could a while back)

All retailers (including supermarkets ) must inform tv licensing of the address given by the customer buying any tv. There is no requirement for the retailer to have proof of address !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks for the link Jim, now i may be believed.

Who needs a television licence

You need a TV Licence to use any television-receiving equipment to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV. These include programmes on the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, cable and satellite television. Television-receiving equipment includes:

• TV sets
  • set-top boxes
  • DVD recorders
  • video recorders
  • computers and laptops
  • mobile phones or other battery-operated devices
  • games consoles.

i brought this up long ago in another similar thread and was shot down in flames. :Doh:

it also states....

If you are covered by a licence at your home address you are also covered to use a battery-powered device, such as a laptop or mobile phone, to watch live TV when you are away from home.

So don't watch TV if you have EHU :Doh:

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
So - I'm covered to watch TV in the MH by my home licence - BUT - my daughter lives at home with us and may well (in fact undoubtedly will) watch TV at home whilst we are away. Am I then technically in breach of the law? :Eeek:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Jim

Yes you can. We have a TV licence and the vehicle registration number is recorded. They do require a contact address as most other departments do such as DVLA.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
As a fulltimer I discussed this with the TV licensing dept. and was told that I needed a TV license when in the UK.

I also asked about foreign visitors in Caravans and Motorhomes and was told that they too required a TV license for their stay here and should purchase one on entering the country.

Pete:Cool:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
All retailers (including supermarkets ) must inform tv licensing of the address given by the customer buying any tv. There is no requirement for the retailer to have proof of address !
they may be obliged to ask but if they do is another matter, I'll soon be looking for a replacement for the bedroom 15" LCD which i just 'popped'' in the RV...(reversed polarity on 12v :Doh::Blush::Sad:) and it will be a supermarket special so I'll see if they want my address still :winky:

i bought the 15" at Asda a few years ago and just paid for it with the rest of the groceries.

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
when buying a tv or dvd or freeview or anything that you can watch tv on pay by cash and put any address on the paperwork the supermarket/shop give you if you pay by card or collect card points they will find you as they have proof of address. On offical forms where it says for office use only a quick rub over the box with a candle means they have to process it by hand as they can not scan it :winky:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Thing is Hilda if you have a portable telly you should have a portable licenceLink RemovedSee cos if you get a picture like mine then the licence should look the same:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back