Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Over the course of the last seven years in our travels with the Big Pitch Guide, Mo and I have visited and/or had contact with many thousands of Caravan Sites - and never ever have we come across this situation before.

Today I had to book a friend into a site for an overnight visit - and was told that if the 'van did not arrive before 6pm - then 'late-arrival' charges would be added to the bill! :Angry:

For convenience sake - I have to stay with the booking that I made - otherwise I would have been out of there faster than a rat up a drain pipe.

Anybody else ever heard of this before>

Dick

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Never heard of that one before plenty of others, think some people have too much time on their hands and sit and dream up new ones.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Can't say I ever have - and that type of greed would be counter-productive to to business in the long term, as once someone is vharged that, they never come back!

There was a site in Devon, near exeter where a customer was due to stay. We delivered the van to the site, spoke to the owner who was fine. Stated that we were picking the woman and her children up from the airport and would set the van up then.

We returned after 45 minutes due to her flight being late, and despite it only being 5.45pm, he refused her entry and told her to go and find a lay-by!!

In the end, we spent the next hour or so trying to find her a pitch somewhere local as her husband was flying down that evening. The interesting thing was, she was not booked to arrive until 7pm, and her husband at 9pm - so she was actually early - but the owner really couldn't be bothered, and seemed very unwelcoming!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Never heard of it before but i suppose if the office is shut and someone has to stay behind or get called out then i can see why they would charge, but if warden is on site then im sure it wouldnt take longer than 5mins to book him in.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Over the course of the last seven years in our travels with the Big Pitch Guide, Mo and I have visited and/or had contact with many thousands of Caravan Sites - and never ever have we come across this situation before.

Today I had to book a friend into a site for an overnight visit - and was told that if the 'van did not arrive before 6pm - then 'late-arrival' charges would be added to the bill! :Angry:

For convenience sake - I have to stay with the booking that I made - otherwise I would have been out of there faster than a rat up a drain pipe.

Anybody else ever heard of this before>

Dick

Name and Shame.......

OP
OP
moandick

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
No problems - but it is not name and shame as such - that is what they charge and they are quite up-front about it - so you have a choice - take it or leave it!

Dolbeare Holiday Park at Landrake, Saltash in Cornwall.

We worked there for a short while once, when the Owners (at that time) went away on holiday - new owners now - even put a surcharge on length of Motorhome.

Dick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not come across it before .. so one to look out for when booking.

From the site Link Removed

Other Charges

£10 for arrivals between 18.00 and 20.00
£20 for arrivals between 20.00 and 22.00
£10 per booking for a specific pitch

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We've never heard of arrival-time charges, though we do know some sites charge for RVs or longer vehicles. We have guests driving from Calais who have turned up anytime up to 11.20pm - we do not mind so long as they keep us informed, though that latest arrival was when it was raining - Murphy's Law strikes again! As for length, we have had arrivals with a 40ft RV towing a 15ft trailer with a Volvo Estate on it - I dread to think what some sites could charge for that, but for us it is all part of the enjoyment we get from welcoming guests, whatever their outfit may be.::bigsmile:
Bob and Di
www.parcverger.com

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Not come across it before .. so one to look out for when booking.

From the site Link Removed

Other Charges

£10 for arrivals between 18.00 and 20.00
£20 for arrivals between 20.00 and 22.00
£10 per booking for a specific pitch

Seems to be more and more the way these days, a bit like Ryan Air. Just milk Joe Public

Have a low lead in price to tempt you in, but then by the time you have add ons (and the add on to the add ons), then you end up with a price 2 or 3 times more than when you began.:Doh:

£10 for a specific pitch is just like the add on for a specific seat on a flight. If the pitch is available why should it cost £10 more to reserve it. It sure does not cost £10 to administrate.:Eeek:

So as said if you don't like this type of pricing (I for one do not), vote with your feet (wheels) and your wallet. Then they may get the message.:imoutahere:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Seems to be more and more the way these days, a bit like Ryan Air. Just milk Joe Public

Have a low lead in price to tempt you in, but then by the time you have add ons (and the add on to the add ons), then you end up with a price 2 or 3 times more than when you began.:Doh:

£10 for a specific pitch is just like the add on for a specific seat on a flight. If the pitch is available why should it cost £10 more to reserve it. It sure does not cost £10 to administrate.:Eeek:

So as said if you don't like this type of pricing (I for one do not), vote with your feet (wheels) and your wallet. Then they may get the message.:imoutahere:

Or, they may be busy enough and the site may be so great that they don't care!

As for fleece the general public? We are all general public to everyone else! Plumbers, electricians, taxi drivers, campsite operators, resturants etc

I can have a meal down the road for a fiver, or I can go to a top notch resturant where they will charge me a fortune. All about choice.

If there was a rule that said no arrivals after a certain time as the office would be closed, and someone said that they will stay on for an hour but it would cost me a tenner I wouldn't think that I was being ripped off, in the same way that if I can't be bothered to queue up to get tickets at the cinema, I can book on line a pay for the privilege.

A plumber will charge extra for a call out out of hours, so it doesn't seem so unreasonable that if someone has to wait around for a late arrival that they get paid for it.

How many people on here would want to stay late at work and not be paid for it?

Eddie

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Ssh don't tell the Caravan Club also if its not white the following charges are grey £5,blue £10
green or brown £ 15,if we can find you.

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
No problems - but it is not name and shame as such - that is what they charge and they are quite up-front about it - so you have a choice - take it or leave it!

Dolbeare Holiday Park at Landrake, Saltash in Cornwall.

We worked there for a short while once, when the Owners (at that time) went away on holiday - new owners now - even put a surcharge on length of Motorhome.

Dick

I'll leave it thankyou Dick.:Angry:

Regards,John P:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We stopped on one in Wales recently and they charge £2 for each person that visits. :Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Have to agree with Eddie, provided the pricing is clear you can make an informed choice ... at the end of the day, sites are commercial enterprises, not a hobby.

Sites that have a pitch price then add on everything else on is IMO a fairer way of pricing .. also, as I've said before, I would like to see all sites with metered leccy but I understand the reluctance of site owners to do this due to the capital outlay and extra admin work..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back