Tabbert 570 Classic Cam belt (2 Viewers)

Demelza

Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
In the never ending search for the right MH, today's viewing was another Tabbert 570 Fiat Ducato 2.5 Turbo 1991. Seller has no idea whether cam belt's been done so that would have to be done. Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost? Another thing was one of the windows fell out when he opened it! :Smile: It needs a couple of new hinged arm thingies. Would these be difficult to find for this model? Thanks

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The reason I asked was that some of the FFBs had the Citroen engine from the CX which has 2 cambelts. The reason behind this is that they were all built on the Seval cab chassis which was a marriage of Citroen,Peugeot,Talbot. They used whichever engines were lying around at the time.:Eeek:

OP
OP
D

Demelza

Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
The reason I asked was that some of the FFBs had the Citroen engine from the CX which has 2 cambelts. The reason behind this is that they were all built on the Seval cab chassis which was a marriage of Citroen,Peugeot,Talbot. They used whichever engines were lying around at the time.:Eeek:

Ok thanks. It's definitely a Fiat Ducato. He had a manual and it's registered as that on the DVLA doc. Does that make sense? However, for future reference, what do you think would be the worst case scenario costwise, if we came across one that has two cam belts?

Cheers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Being badged as a Fiat and having Fiat on the logbook means nothing with Seval chassis. A Peugeot can have a Citroen engine as I found out after taking the cambelt cover off.
I haven't a clue what a garage would charge to do a cambelt change as I don't use them. Whilst having the cambelt changed have the gearbox oil changed at the same time with semi synthetic. make sure they drain both drain plugs and refill through the speedo cable...Its imperative that this is done correctly on the older Sevals.

nucs200

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
a while now
have you seen the ffb 660 on ebay it could be ok has a lot of extras maybe worth a look. how much is the 570 where did you see that one just out of interest

OP
OP
D

Demelza

Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Being badged as a Fiat and having Fiat on the logbook means nothing with Seval chassis. A Peugeot can have a Citroen engine as I found out after taking the cambelt cover off.
I haven't a clue what a garage would charge to do a cambelt change as I don't use them. Whilst having the cambelt changed have the gearbox oil changed at the same time with semi synthetic. make sure they drain both drain plugs and refill through the speedo cable...Its imperative that this is done correctly on the older Sevals.

Oh Ok thanks. My understanding of all the technical stuff is very limited as I'm sure you can guess! :Smile: Unfortunately I have no idea what a Seval chassis is. As we seem to now have short listed the Tabbert and a 1996 Authohomes Merlin VW transporter 2.4 TD - cam belt was done at 41,000 it's got 45,000 on the clock, I think for us, being novices, the VW will be the one to go for. We have been seduced by the character of the Tabbert but think that we should shelve that idea until we know a bit more about what we are doing! Thanks once again for your help and expertise.

OP
OP
D

Demelza

Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
have you seen the ffb 660 on ebay it could be ok has a lot of extras maybe worth a look. how much is the 570 where did you see that one just out of interest

Yes, we've seen that thanks. My Oh does all the looking. I think the 570 was on Autotrader.

UKMotorhomes

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
4x4 camper truck
Exp
More than 30!
In the never ending search for the right MH, today's viewing was another Tabbert 570 Fiat Ducato 2.5 Turbo 1991. Seller has no idea whether cam belt's been done so that would have to be done. Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost? Another thing was one of the windows fell out when he opened it! :Smile: It needs a couple of new hinged arm thingies. Would these be difficult to find for this model? Thanks
We had an FFB660 Classic a few years ago, also 1991.

Very well built internally but one thing to watch with them is any sign of corrosion in the aluminium skin above the cab side windows. The roof joint above the cab seems to be susceptible to leaks and damp eventually causes the aluminium skin to corrode from the inside. You see quite a lot of them with this area patched.

I think the window arms should be standard and readily available, from memory the captains seats were Sportscraft so parts might still be available.

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back