Sep 21, 2011
South Florida
Funster No
MH
Not yet an owner
Exp
None
Hi Folks:
I am thinking of getting into an RV/Motorhome now that my wife and I are retired. We live in Florida but have enjoyed many car trips to parts of the Southeast US especially. We have lived in Idaho for 8 yrs and have enjoyed many car trips around the NW US as well. Before children (all grown now) we traveled the SW US as well.

As we consider RVing we have considered that are trips out would be probalby not be over 6 to 8 weeks at a time, and probably not more than a couple of times a year, spring through fall and then back to Florida for the winter.

We have done some looking at new RV's in the 32' to 36' range which we feel is plenty big enough for us for the 6-8 week trips. There are still some new 2010 and 2011's out as the new 2012 start to hit the dealers. In looking at the differences between coaches in the range of 32' to 36' we find both gas engine and diesel engine motorhomes.

I am hoping for some feed back from both gas owners and diesel owners as to how they (the newer FORD V10) gas motorhomes perform as opposed to the diesels. Let me say also that I have been a decent mechanic my whole life and feel very conversent about all of the mechanical issues of gas verses diesel, horsepower, torque, repairs and maintenance. I have had many cars that I have put 100,000 plus miles on so I know good maintenance is a key to longevity, etc.

To add to the feedback, I don't anticipate that we would drive the Rockie Mountains again but certainly the Appelacians (??) and eastern US mountains occasionally.

So, to bring an end to this intro, please, I would appreciate feedback from both camps, (gas and diesel) about how they perform in the real world and is a gas V10 good to tow a small "toad".

I welcome all of your wisdom and years of experience. Thanks

Bob

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hiya Bob there are some experienced RVers on RVOC who have travelled in the US. I have had a two RV holidays in the US and it seems many of the 35' and under RVs are on gas, and many of the larger ones are diesel pushers. My last2 RVs including my current B class were on the Ford Triton V10 and although quiet with adequate power I would think in a larger RV the diesel pusher would be more favourable.
The choice is yours , fuel is cheaper in the US than here but with rising prices the diesel may be the better option
Good luck in your search :thumb:

Larry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Quite an Honour being asked on here about RVs by a cousin from over the water:Smile:

Our Sister site WWW.RVOC.co.uk may be a better source of information, although a great many on there are also members here

Interestingly we have quite a few varying claims for MPG here on both forums
take the Ford V10 as an example returning from 9 MPG to 16 Mpg quite a difference and dont forget we have a bigger gallon than you, about the only thing the UK does have bigger than the states.:Doh:

During a trip to and through Morroco, I ran mile for mile with a Damon Daybreak,(Front Engine Diesel) I have a Damon also Petrol V10, very very similar specification and weights almost identical The difference in MPG returned was not worthy of discussion, both vehicles averaged 14 to the gallon, and the High Atlas Mountains we crossed showed up no differences in performance between the two

Maybe Rory (Forestboy on here ) will confirm
Even accidentally putting about 6 gallons of petrol in his diesel tank made no difference :ROFLMAO:
Geo

OP
OP
B

Boblemo

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
South Florida
Funster No
MH
Not yet an owner
Exp
None
Gas or Diesel

Thanks of the reply I will try the RVOC site for more info..... many thanks:Smile:

OP
OP
B

Boblemo

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
South Florida
Funster No
MH
Not yet an owner
Exp
None
Gas Or Diesel

Quite an Honour being asked on here about RVs by a cousin from over the water:Smile:

Our Sister site WWW.RVOC.co.uk may be a better source of information, although a great many on there are also members here

Interestingly we have quite a few varying claims for MPG here on both forums
take the Ford V10 as an example returning from 9 MPG to 16 Mpg quite a difference and dont forget we have a bigger gallon than you, about the only thing the UK does have bigger than the states.:Doh:

During a trip to and through Morroco, I ran mile for mile with a Damon Daybreak,(Front Engine Diesel) I have a Damon also Petrol V10, very very similar specification and weights almost identical The difference in MPG returned was not worthy of discussion, both vehicles averaged 14 to the gallon, and the High Atlas Mountains we crossed showed up no differences in performance between the two

Maybe Rory (Forestboy on here ) will confirm
Even accidentally putting about 6 gallons of petrol in his diesel tank made no difference :ROFLMAO:
Geo

Thank you for the reply .... I am hoping that the 2011 & 2012 performance maybe even better and that it won't be a problem in "small " mountains particularly if I don't go over 34' coach. Much thanks again for the reply.....travel well and safe !! Bob::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi and welcome Bob,

unfortunately i cant give you a comparison between gas and diesel but my A class is petrol (gas)....older 1999 6.8ltr (415 cubic inch) V10 Triton.

as Geo said, the uk gallon is more than a US gallon so the mpg figures will be different....and different folks MPG figures do vary.:winky:

a UK gallon is approximately 1.2 US gallons

many folks in the UK have the engine fuel converted to LPG (propane) while retaining the petrol system as well.

running costs are very much reduced as LPG is half the cost of petrol, we pay around £6.20 ($8) per gallon for petrol.

i find the Triton's 360bhp and 425ft/lbs of torque very capable of hauling the 7.5tons, while returning around 10mpg on petrol and 8mpg on LPG.

for a very large (to us) engine it is extremely quiet and normal conversation while driving is not a problem unless the engine is made to work hard.

i would think a Triton in a C class would be just about silent.

front engined diesels, so i'm told, can be rather noisy at the best of times.
rear engined (pusher) diesels, i assume, almost silent.

good luck with your choice and whatever decision you make, enjoy. :thumb:

ps...you'll get a much bigger picture over on RVOC.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back