Leaking battery? (2 Viewers)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
When I was fitting my solar panel last week I took out my Battery to give everything a good clean out, only to discover wet underneath it and a bit of corrosion, strange thinks I wonder why? anyway the battery didn't have a overflow tube only a hole so I thought that was the likely suspect as there was a wet trail down that end of the battery.
So gave everything a good clean out and covered all corrosion with waxoil and just in case replaced the battery on a bit of thick waterproof plastic and glued a bit of tube to the overflow hole, job done:Cool:. Go back to check everything yesterday only to discover quite a bit more acid on the plastic:Doh: had a look and it looks like its leaking from around the top flange if you get my drift, the bit you lift with your fingers if it hasn't got a handle, funny thing is the battery seems ok, plenty of power, all the cells seem to have plenty of acid with no need to top up.

Just wondered if anyone else has come across this before????:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It could be bubbling over when charging -through the vents in the top up tops ?:winky:
terry
ps paint some rust preventive on the rusty bits

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We noticed our batteries were not performing as well on the solarpanels. The van was 8 months (3 year old now) old when we bought it and not knowing what the previous owner had done (could have run them flat) we decided to change them.
When the old batteries were taken out one was goosed and the other was leaking from the terminal post. So not uncommon methinks. :Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I've come across lots of leaky batteries in my job!
It's quite common for cases to fail at the seams.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I've come across lots of leaky batteries in my job!
It's quite common for cases to fail at the seams.

Ah ok, well I had a good look at it today and it is leaking in one place, so gave it a good clean and filled all around with sikaflex 221, so hopefully that will do until I have a good look around for another, as I said it is fine in every other way and even if it does leak some more at least it can't do any harm:RollEyes:

Thanks for all your help guys, erm, anyone know where I can get a good battery for a reasonable price:Blush:

Tim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for all your help guys, erm, anyone know where I can get a good battery for a reasonable price:Blush:

Tim[/QUOTE]

No such thing unfortunately!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
No such thing unfortunately!:BigGrin:[/QUOTE said:
:roflmto::roflmto: So it would seem from what Ive read on here all leisure batteries are crap and the only ones worth buying are traction batteries and I can't afford those:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back