Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Driving recorder

Just been viewing the above idea that records through the wind screen so that in case of accident or foolish driving you have proof of the event.

It seems to me it could be the very thing to have when touring abroad and the robbers try to stop and rob you.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
They are very good, my electronics company supply these f(a pro version)for use in taxis etc. They work by recording to an SD card digitally, so are easily transferred onto a lap top, and then e-mailed to your insurer.

Many have the ability to look into the cab as well, which is great if you are unfortnate enough to have the van intruder. They log any accident using g-force, and have panic record buttons, should you wish to hit that. You can also have on constant record which is written over ever 28 days.

Anything held on the secure memory is not overwritten (accidents/misses/panic recording) Also works well if you just want a recording of your drive through the alps or whatever to show your friends later (if you take a spare SD card should you be going away for more than 28 days)

Stay away from the high priced ones, but DONT buy cheap sub standard quality!! - they are getting more affordable now. It wasn't long ago that these systems were in excess of £1500 - we now retail them at £299 - so that is quite a drop! Though the expensive ones are out there still, the cheaper good quality ones are the ones to go for!....just be wary of the 'too cheap' options as you will have old mobile phone standard of blur!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
They do sound good.

Do they pick up sound as well?

If so I would have to tone down my expletives when some idiot cuts me up.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I have had one in my windscreen for a long while, as said works on g force mine also works on sudden movement a good bump in the road will do this, mine is older tech and has no sound.

All the best Rick

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have had one in my windscreen for a long while, as said works on g force mine also works on sudden movement a good bump in the road will do this, mine is older tech and has no sound.

All the best Rick

Thats what I need then!:Blush:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I have a matching pair - one in front is GPS enabled - and the one at the rear simply records what is happening behind me. I use them primarily when doing research on new sites for the BPG.

I can't remember everything I see and do on a drive into a site - but the cameras do - so when I get home, I simply sit and watch my journey.

They are, of course, extremely helpful as 'crash' cameras - not that I've needed that facility yet - and also as speed recorders, so if I get picked up by a speed camera, I can either prove their readings - or disprove them as the case may be - and thankfully, I haven't had to use that facility either!

Mine cost somewhere in the region of £400 for the pair permanently wired into the Ignition system - complete with a pair of 8GB SD cards.

Dick

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow, Keith, they sound great. I wish I had had one on my journey to Ilfracombe.. Can they be moved around the van or are they fixed once in place, please?

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Wow, Keith, they sound great. I wish I had had one on my journey to Ilfracombe.. Can they be moved around the van or are they fixed once in place, please?

Not sure but click on the link in the OP to see all the details Joy.

I did see it has sound that can be turned off.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

Mine can be used in any Vehicle with a 12v outlet and even came with two mounting brakets.

All the best Rick

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The ones I deal with can come as plug and play, so could be moved around the van, though usually we hard wire them. You have a choice, though.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvai6dD8d_4&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I use these, one front, one rear. Not as fully featured as the dearer ones, video with time and date stamp recording all time only. Slightly wider angle field of view than the cylindrical ones you see that are very often used by cyclists.

Link Removed

I did not buy them from this supplier, i got them from a Hong Kong site (after recommendation)

see video in the link here
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2010/12/26/car-windscreen-hd-video-camera-review.html

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just acquired one from ebay won for £21.01 :thumb: same as the post above (thanks Grumps for the link)
very impressed so far, good view nice and clear
tried it with an old 256mb card i had knocking around
looking now to get a bigger one what sort of time recording will say an 8Mb or 16Mb card hold
whats the best class type, will a 4 do or must it be a class 10 :RollEyes:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
Just acquired one from ebay won for £21.01 :thumb: same as the post above (thanks Grumps for the link)
very impressed so far, good view nice and clear
tried it with an old 256mb card i had knocking around
looking now to get a bigger one what sort of time recording will say an 8Mb or 16Mb card hold
whats the best class type, will a 4 do or must it be a class 10 :RollEyes:

I think the techmoan guy gives advice on recording times. I know the original one I tried did a 2 hour run, and I felt I wanted something to record about 4 hours, I will need to check and not at home at present.
I went for the class 10 because i wanted to have the ability to use them in my camcorder as an alternative.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
With tongue firmly in cheek;

How long before some A hole says they are infringing his/her Human Rights because you are "invading his/her right to Privacy and freedom of expression" (to drive like an idiot):Cool:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
With tongue firmly in cheek;

How long before some A hole says they are infringing his/her Human Rights because you are "invading his/her right to Privacy and freedom of expression" (to drive like an idiot):Cool:

:roflmto::roflmto: doesn't apply to private individuals (yet - and no plans to affect private individuals at present)

I use it because too many others (criminals) invade my privacy and freedom, and I want evidence of it when needed. The most recent crew dealt with for motor insurance scams netted millions of pounds - and some of the hotspots are close to me and where I travel through a lot. They get fitted in my car when I go into those areas, but I really try to avoid those areas like the plague.

If they only save me my no claims bonus they have done well.

Yes, those questioning if they are a bad driver (tongue in cheek) do have to be aware that once something happens and is recorded on it - no matter what, it can and probably will be seized as evidence, and even used against you.

I have noticed I do drive even more carefully when its in and working.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I am hoping that it clearly shows up those that have "stolen" my stopping distance, its a long way for 7.5 tons and the idiots who pass, pull in and brake are asking for a rear ender, of course it will be my fault wont it:RollEyes:
Not when its on film it wont:thumb:
Also the motorway slip roaders they hang back,fart about and then go for it often to late for comfort
I will have it set to ignore my bad driving:Cool:
Geo

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Whilst not decrying the usefulness of these recorders,
is the "evidence" provided by these things acceptable in a court?
I'm thinking of greed cameras, etc, which I understand must be properly calibrated and set up at regular intervals.
Essentially this is a bit of CCTV kit?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
More than likely not john
But the polices decision on who to prosecute may well be influanced somewhat
In the event of a fatal/serious accident any and all evidence would be forensically tested and certified dated or not one would hope:RollEyes:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I use these, one front, one rear. Not as fully featured as the dearer ones, video with time and date stamp recording all time only. Slightly wider angle field of view than the cylindrical ones you see that are very often used by cyclists.

Link Removed

I did not buy them from this supplier, i got them from a Hong Kong site (after recommendation)

see video in the link here
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2010/12/26/car-windscreen-hd-video-camera-review.html

Big problem with that one and others like it is the crazy wide angle lens they use..
Sure the argument is that it will see if something hits the outside of a wing ( for instance ) but the image is so small you cannot see any small detail that is further away than say 10 feet...
12mm focal length would be about right I reckon..

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Big problem with that one and others like it is the crazy wide angle lens they use..
Sure the argument is that it will see if something hits the outside of a wing ( for instance ) but the image is so small you cannot see any small detail that is further away than say 10 feet...
12mm focal length would be about right I reckon..

Experiance has proved that most things that hit me are closer than 10 feet:RollEyes:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Experiance has proved that most things that hit me are closer than 10 feet:RollEyes:

True but in an accident scenario almost everything is important apart from the actual impact.
Once contact is made any evidence becomes somewhat self proclaiming...

What causes the impact is what police etc are interested in ( in my experience :RollEyes: :winky: )

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
There is now a camera that does even more, the link giving a demonstration is in the thread link below, but currently they are not available from Chinavasion, I have not searched anywhere else yet.

Broken Link Removed

Please note these cameras are not a perfect solution, anything lane changing right alongside would not be seen from front/rear as I use. But, as Jaws says, it not the impact, its the before and after. They would at least prove I did not change lane.

Also, and I am sure Sloberdobabob will verify, very few accidents get as far as a criminal court, and in a civil court burden of proof is not the same as in a criminal court. Even so, criminal courts will accept a private individuals phone camera evidence - there was a case on our northern news only yesterday, and these cameras are no different to a phone camera.

Its a bit like investing in a tracker for theft - its unlikely to prevent something happening, and not 100% guaranteed to assist afterwards, but when it does it could save thousands.

When 'black boxes' become a requirement for all vehicles, which they surely will in time, linked with this technology you will have some very powerful evidence.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
There is now a camera that does even more, the link giving a demonstration is in the thread link below, but currently they are not available from Chinavasion, I have not searched anywhere else yet.

Broken Link Removed

Please note these cameras are not a perfect solution, anything lane changing right alongside would not be seen from front/rear as I use. But, as Jaws says, it not the impact, its the before and after. They would at least prove I did not change lane.

Also, and I am sure Sloberdobabob will verify, very few accidents get as far as a criminal court, and in a civil court burden of proof is not the same as in a criminal court. Even so, criminal courts will accept a private individuals phone camera evidence - there was a case on our northern news only yesterday, and these cameras are no different to a phone camera.

Its a bit like investing in a tracker for theft - its unlikely to prevent something happening, and not 100% guaranteed to assist afterwards, but when it does it could save thousands.

When 'black boxes' become a requirement for all vehicles, which they surely will in time, linked with this technology you will have some very powerful evidence.

In fact its starting in the insurance world now -

Broken Link Removed

G1DOL

Free Member
Aug 21, 2010
West Oxford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Started 2011
We have one to