Autotrail - any good? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Been looking at new motorhomes and quite like the layout of some of the Autotrails.
Always thought britisj built vans were second to German etc..( we havea hymer and can't fault it other than it's getting old and we want a fixed bed!)
What's the general opinion of these?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Always have liked AutoTrails, had that nice feeling when I went in one, like them so much we are now the Franchised Dealer for Sussex and Kent for new ones.

We are having an open weekend October 31st with some new Euro 5 vans on display plus Pilote, come along and have a look.

Peter

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Autotrail Arapaho

Hi we have an Autotrail Arapaho, described by Autotrail as their Flagship motorhome, well we would say that the quality of the finished product leaves a lot to be desired.
Autotrail quality control missed at least 25 faults, rather obvious ones like the bathroom door not fitting the door frame, infact the door catch barely touched the jam (a 12mm gap) so the door could swing straight through.

Looking down at the floor behind the drivers seat showed daylight coming from a gap were the living accommodation joined the cab.
Doesn`t say much for the motorhomes insulation.

The tail light fittings fell out whilst travelling, the fixing holes were just too big so the screws had no chance of holding.

The accommodation step is right in front of the rear wheels, so all the road spray/mud lands on top of the step, poor design there really should be a splash guard.

The heating pipes travelling all around the van so that by the time the blown air got to the bathroom it is cold even on the fires highest setting, ther heating system just isn`t powerful enough to heat a motorhome this size.
Poor when you consider the German motorhomes have the wet system that heats the living accommodation whilst travelling.

The list goes on hence, considering the cost of an Autotrail from new we wouldn`t buy another one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Not disagreeing with you but all those could have been sorted with a good PDI before handover.

From what I have gathered AutoTrail are very conscious of quality control at dealers, both Glenn and Ian from the workshop have been to their factory for training and familiarsation courses and so has Mark in Sales.

Peter

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i looked at autotrail before settling on my dethleffs
similar layouts / both with 3 litre fiat engine
build quality just wasn't the same.
looked at a couple of second hand autotrails and the one that made the decision for me was the 07 plate scout at just 18 months old the floor in the hab door way was very spongey as was the floor in the rear u shaped lounge.
as we were looking at a van to fulltime in.
at 18 months old and a delaminating floor just put me off.
the dethleffs we got has a double floor with all the water tanks etc stored between the 2 floors and heated and the main floor is 3/4 inch plywood so no fear of that delaminating to quickly.

it may just have been an abused van but it certainly put me off.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've had a couple of Autotrails. loved em. Had an Arapaho too, the build quality was fine. You can get similar German models but at the time we bought they were much more expensive and the extra 20k is a lot to pay for wet heating.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
We looked at a lot of motorhomes before we bought an autotrail.

Not perfect....some bits of bad design.but overall we still like it .

Walking around the motorhome show at shepton mallet a couple of weeks ago
made us feel we made the right decision..didnt see anything we liked more.
A better finish we thought than most of the uk based brands.

Still wouldnt buy a new one though...let someone else sort out the main problems...get one a couple of years old with a low milage...oh and get a 3 litre auto....brilliant:Smile:

barry

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Depends what you want. We have seriously looked at Autotrails every time we have bought, but always finished up choosing something else (usually dearer!).

They tend to be heavy - I try to keep my mgw to 3500. They, in my view, often have design flaws. eg waste water pipes with taps at the end, perfect for freezing up when its -10! We looked at one with a french style fixed bed. The bed lifted up but because of the boiler at the front, from inside it was all but impossible to get to the (limited) staorage space. Recently looked at one with a garage. The loo empied by removing the tank sideways into the garage area, and then out. I have a bad back, not a chance with that arrangement! Also it meant that a large amount of garage space had to be clear for the loo to be slid into. Most of them also do not have belted seats, we think this is essential. I could go on!

But they are very plush, always have big ovens and microwaves. But not necessarily big fridges , water tanks or frost protection for the tanks/pipes..

Cannot really comment on the quality - by which I mean how well it is built not how plush it is.

It is, of course, a personal view and some people sware by them.

But ask yourself this. When driving on the continent, how many foreign registered autotrails (or for that matter most other british vans) do you see?. And then ask how many british registered continental vans do you see in Britian?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
:thumb:
We looked at a lot of motorhomes before we bought an autotrail.

Not perfect....some bits of bad design.but overall we still like it .

Walking around the motorhome show at shepton mallet a couple of weeks ago
made us feel we made the right decision..didnt see anything we liked more.
A better finish we thought than most of the uk based brands.
Still wouldnt buy a new one though...let someone else sort out the main problems...get one a couple of years old with a low milage...oh and get a 3 litre auto....brilliant:Smile:
barry

Autotrail Miami 740s Automatic Motorhome 2007

:thumb:

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
bought our autotrail cherokee new in march, had half dinette layout which gives two rear seat belts overhall very impressed with everything only fault so far is radio which packed up on first trip but replaced by dealer no quibble still quite poor reception on the move though

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
have a look here

Link Removed

It sounds to me that as with any major purchase, you need a good dealer, I think we have that (like those at John Cross from the recommendations I have seen on here).

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
bought our autotrail cherokee new in march, had half dinette layout which gives two rear seat belts overhall very impressed with everything only fault so far is radio which packed up on first trip but replaced by dealer no quibble still quite poor reception on the move though

Our reception is not good, but is actually no worse than our car which has those new in rear window things. seems the old aerial was the best. I have not had the time to do any research on the best position for our aerial, where it is now and where it ideally should be - can anyone help please?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Weve had our scout for three seasons now, we have had a few minor nigels but on the whole its well built, we bought it because the layout suited us, Double dinnette with extra seatbelts up front and u shaped rear lounge. We could not find this layout in a eroupean built van. We do not use the van in extream winter as we are still working and at that time of year theres not much spare time and much shorter days.

So basicly it depends on whats good for you, I know Im happy with mine I just wish Id bought the same layout but bigger arapaho, but I stiick with this one for a good while

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
When posting on Forums looking for opinions then that is exactly what you will get. Some for and some against. At the end of the day I am not too sure that you will find an answer.

There are pros and cons in everything one buys, and in all price ranges, Sometimes a rogue slips through and does a lot of damage to a reputation.

My belief is that unless there are numerous consistent complaints about a particular aspect of something (car/motorhome etc etc) then at the end of the day choice will come down to personal preference every time. You pays your money and as long as you stay away from what I believe to be the increasing requirement for a "Rolls Royce" at a "Mini" price and"if a deal looks too good to be true " you will get what you pay for.

Yes you may get a bummer, but there is a lot of consumer legislation and contract law on your side to protect you (even in private sales).

Use your own judgement, buy what you like, and do not agonise over the decision. Things can always be changed if you get it wrong.

I have an Auto Trail, bought second hand, and no complaints, but others have had then and have complaints,

Ce la vie

Stuart

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
One point no one has mentioned..the current autotrails look so good....from the outside.easpecially with the Fiat nose.

The exterior design of some motorhomes is apalling...I think the trainlike Burstners
are brilliant........but some of the coloured graphics are obviously created
by inhouse "designers".

I did a lot of designwork ( as a consultant ) for Landrover and I noticed that the inhouse designers who came up with the useless decal designs used to wear grey shoes.........I rest my case.

barry

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Had an 02 Dakota with a 2.2 Merc engine for 30 months now & no complaints. 28000 miles & goes like sh*t off a shovel. Everything works & was brilliant value for money. ::bigsmile:

She's now sitting in the sun in Port Grimaud. :Cool::Cool::Cool:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
I bought an autotrail 2yrs old from a/trail dealer collected it January this year,against my wifes advice.I wont go into this any further at the moment .But we are collecting a Rapido this w/end hopefully.If you want to pm me i can give you more info.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I bought an autotrail 2yrs old from a/trail dealer collected it January this year,against my wifes advice.I wont go into this any further at the moment .But we are collecting a Rapido this w/end hopefully.If you want to pm me i can give you more info.

I did the same in may..........Autotrail 2 years old 8000 miles on the clock.
Not perfect ( original design details) but overall in really good condition.
As for the dealer they were not too impressive but I really wanted a 3 litre auto with garage.... and they are are a bit harder to find.
Its like all vehicles.....sometimes you get bad ones and I think with all makes you have to be prepared to get a screwdriver out and go over them to rectify things. ( Ive read 90k Burstner owners saying "never again" )

And of course things get shaken loose over time.
Its early days but I do really like my Autotrail.

barry

ps thrilled to hear John's Cross are now an Autotrail dealer.

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Autotrail

We bought our Autotrail 696G private in 2008 and it was nearly 2 Years old with 4100 miles on the clock, We bought it mainly for the layout and with the garage in mind for the dogs when they got wet, but that went out of the window whe we started filling the garage up with all the paraphanalia that you find you can't live without .We 've looked at lots of motohomes including europeans at shows and the ones we allways go back to are Autotrails.iIn our opinion perfect for us travelling with 2 largish dogs and we've had very few problems with the quality:thumb:

Alan

Aldwick subs

Free Member
Jun 4, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2009
Autotrail

We have had two Apaches and now have a Savannah. Only had irritating small problems that were sorted straight away by dealer. Overall very pleased.

Last edited:

Paramotormanal

Free Member
Aug 29, 2012
Kingston upon Hull
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have a Chieftain tag axel with garage and we love it loads of storage and toy space fits my Seaeagle kayak all my Paragliding and paramotoring equipment push bikes the list goes on, I have noticed that all the panels are made from plywood which probably explains why nothing has fallen off unlike the chipboard type ones.

The campervan is 05 and I wonder if they are still using the ply wood over the lightened chipboard and if people are experiencing fixing problems and things falling off because they have switched?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have had our Scout for about 4 months now and love it.

Perhaps the inherent build quality isn't as good as our old Burstner but my God it's layout and sheer usability make up for it.

No regrets at all and in Johns Cross a very good dealer:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Autotrail Dakota

Very interesting thread, we are on our way south now to look at a Dakota. I was wondering if anyone could answer a query on "full cab blinds".

This will be our sole vehicle and will be used all year round, I believe the insulation in the habitation area is excellent, but have been told that the only form of insulation in the cab area, seems to be black-out blinds.
Do these provide proper insulation to stop heat loss from the habitation area? Or would we still need to think about buying external thermal blind?
Many thanks in advance, Bill

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would get an external blind.

Our cab blinds don't insulate at all I don't think.

In the winter I might get one of those things that cover the engine part of the cab as well because the Ducato does seem a bit draughty in the cab area.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
we use external therma covers, but only in really cold or hot temperatures,

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
This will be our sole vehicle and will be used all year round, I believe the insulation in the habitation area is excellent, but have been told that the only form of insulation in the cab area, seems to be black-out blinds.
Do these provide proper insulation to stop heat loss from the habitation area? Or would we still need to think about buying external thermal blind?
Many thanks in advance, Bill

The cab blinds are really just "paper" you have to be very careful when moving the side door one's in particular. They have no insulation properties, as mentioned "silver screen" external covers are the best thing to use..
I have had a few issues with my 2012 van and the internal furniture is not as good and strong s my previous 2005 an but I still live it. Layout, function and style suits us.. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back