Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
In another life, I used to enjoy sitting outside, with my gas BBQ/griddle type thing, having a cook up. The wife however, said as it was gas, it did'nt taste like a proper BBQ, and as for the griddle bit, we had other means of frying....so we got rid.
Weve got a tiddly charcoal bbq for the obvious, big enough for us, but what is the preffered method amongst you lot, and is it just bbq, or bbq and griddle.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We use a proper barbecue. We have a Cadac but never use it.

I have recently developed an intense dislike of char grilled meat so it rules out the Cadac or a griddle. With the old fashioned BBQ I seem to be able to avoid that char grilled taste.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
weve got a Broken Link Removed quite a handy little thing

Works a treat for the two of us, just the right size for two decent pieces of Steak::bigsmile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Seldom BBQ when we are on our own but when a crowd of us get together we all tend to bring our own kit and has a mass cook in - usually involves a Cobb - a portable gas ring with a Paella dish and lid - a large Cadac or two and the food tends to get cooked on what ever is available at the time - usually from 8 to 15 people involved - great fun. Usually too much food involved but cannot say any taste any better than the other. Looking forward to Lincoln should get at least one good BBQ in hopefully more:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Cadac with paella pan for us.:thumb:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We have both charcoal BBQ and Cadac griddle plate cooker and which one we use depends on if I want my meat burnt to a crisp & black or edible:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
On another note - we have found that this summer the majority of campsites in France and Spain have banned charcoal BBQ's for obvious reasons!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have used the Spanish gas ring and cast iron gridle for years, the only problem with it is it tends to get rusty and I have to give it a good wire brushing before use, and of course its damned heavy.
I also carry the disposable ones and if you buy them at this time of year you can normaly get 2 for 1.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Whilst on sites it's my Cadac and skottel dish, at home though it's my Weber charcoal with dome top, it was quite expensive but with its indirect heating its possible for me to do a reasonable barbie without burning anything, theres usually enough residual heat left that I can put a chicken in foil in it, close the bottom vent, put the lid on and leave it overnight for a nicely cooked chicken for the following day. :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have one of the big Webbers at home too. Great bit of kit.

We have the smaller version in the van.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
weve got a Broken Link Removed quite a handy little thing

Works a treat for the two of us, just the right size for two decent pieces of Steak::bigsmile:

I agree - we too have the Outback - ideal for griddled bacon or traditional bbq burnt sausages (that is probably just the way I cook them). Better than the gas ring which blew out unless protected on 3 sides - the Outback can do the same job but the flame is protected.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I use a Camping camp kitchen BBQ.
51yLLpAVbuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
also can become just two rings

Food always taste better cooked outside although I mainly end up eating it in the van.

wander

Free Member
Jul 29, 2011
Calpe, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
::bigsmile:Food always tastes better if it's cooked by someone else - or so my wife keeps telling me. I've got a feeling that's just a ploy to get me at the stove, she even tells me I look fetching in my apron!:roflmto:
Gave up bbq's years ago - too much hard work and I was starving by the time the coals had heated through enough to start cooking.:Sad:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
The autotrail has an exterior plug in gas point..so I use a old fashioned "boyscout" bulletproof cast iron double ring..sit in on a table and use it with ordinary frying pans saucepans etc and cook outside when ever I can.

barry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes we bring the cobb bit of the party

Seldom BBQ when we are on our own but when a crowd of us get together we all tend to bring our own kit and has a mass cook in - usually involves a Cobb - a portable gas ring with a Paella dish and lid - a large Cadac or two and the food tends to get cooked on what ever is available at the time - usually from 8 to 15 people involved - great fun. Usually too much food involved but cannot say any taste any better than the other. Looking forward to Lincoln should get at least one good BBQ in hopefully more:thumb:

As Bill has said (Landylover) at meets you will find us all using various cooking means for a joint meal.. works well.

I use the cobb to BBQ, I can roast a chicken, broil salt beef, fry up, .. it has a lot of items.. like a griddle pan, a frying pan, a wok, grill and a chicken stand... tryed them all, it does what it says on the tin.

I can use coconut compressed cobb stones or normal charcol ...

Bob:Blush:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

Is this your lot at a barbie, all you need is 5 loaves and 2 fishes:winky:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 17

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We use a double ring electric cooker out side for most stuff but there are some foods Mo prefers to prepare on the Cadac ( Yes, Cadac with paella pan for us too )

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
The most important thing, if you choose to barbecue with charcoal, is to have the right charcoal. Properly made charcoal will light easily and get hot quickly, in the UK you can't beat locally made charcoal, in France it's about all you can get.
As someone who makes it I can't stress enough the complete uselessness of briquettes, they are 40% cement dust, and most "lumpwood" charcoal comes from unsustainable sources or is a by product of chemical extraction processes.
Throw away barbecues are not really a very sustainable solution either These are much better Link Broken
:winky:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We use the Austrailan charcol

The most important thing, if you choose to barbecue with charcoal, is to have the right charcoal. Properly made charcoal will light easily and get hot quickly, in the UK you can't beat locally made charcoal, in France it's about all you can get.
As someone who makes it I can't stress enough the complete uselessness of briquettes, they are 40% cement dust, and most "lumpwood" charcoal comes from unsustainable sources or is a by product of chemical extraction processes.
Throw away barbecues are not really a very sustainable solution either These are much better Link Broken
:winky:

We use the Austrailian BBQ charcoal.

Bob:Eeek:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Cadac or small disposable, depending on amount and what's to be cooked.
(and, of course, what's permitted).

Leaveyfreya

Free Member
Sep 20, 2009
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We use a smallish BBQ outside a lot of the time - but seems to cook enough to feed ten::bigsmile:

We also use a Tepenyaki grill we bought from aldi for £20. It's a flat hot plate which we cook all sorts on - does a good breakfast and can be used in and outdoors!

We have a halogen oven also so we can use it outside or in and cooks really efficently. We tend to only bring things that don;t take long to cook.

If we don't stay on a site we tend to eat out so to spend local - then if I have my way - if we stay on a site we tend not to cook either!!:ROFLMAO::winky:

I love cooking but lets face it the bloke usually takes over:ROFLMAO:

If we don't stay on a site and don't eat out I stash some cash for next time so we can splash out.

Last weekend we had home made meat balls with rice and home made curry sauce - yum yum - We had all the doors and windows open to cook that! - But we were considerate - no one was parked near us on the site...........and that was before we started cooking:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We use a smallish BBQ outside a lot of the time - but seems to cook enough to feed ten::bigsmile:

We also use a Tepenyaki grill we bought from aldi for £20. It's a flat hot plate which we cook all sorts on - does a good breakfast and can be used in and outdoors!

We have a halogen oven also so we can use it outside or in and cooks really efficently. We tend to only bring things that don;t take long to cook.

If we don't stay on a site we tend to eat out so to spend local - then if I have my way - if we stay on a site we tend not to cook either!!:ROFLMAO:

I love cooking but lets face it the bloke usually takes over:ROFLMAO:

If we don't stay on a site and don't eat out I stash some cash for next time so we can splash out.

Last weekend we had home made meat balls with rice and home made curry sauce - yum yum - We had all the doors and windows open to cook that! - But we were considerate - no one was parked near us on the site...........and that was before we started cooking:ROFLMAO:
we also have a couple of tepenyaki grills....one used almost daily at home, so much so the aluminium plate is warped and twisted and most of the none stick coating has been washed away (crap coating).
we dont usually have hookup so dont bother carrying them in the RV.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I must be that rarest of species...the lesser-spotted-non-BBQer. :Smile:

Mind you....I'd need a trailer to carry one.

But I like outdoor cooking, if only to stop the 'van getting too warm in the summer. And I'm never cooking sprats inside it again :Doh:

So it's the trusty double-skillet on a portable stove for me....not much good for a crowd, but then I am Billy-No-Mates :Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back