Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years now
Been on here for a few weeks now after buying the MH and it seems most of you are retired and able to use your MH a lot more than us. We have to go to work still and are restricted to weekends away and only 5 weeks holiday a year. Would like to hear from any other "younger" funsters who also have to work and how you get the most out of your MH. Roll on the next 17 years so we can retire and travel properly

tonywolst

Free Member
Jul 22, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I lost my job and thanks to good luck managed 6 weeks off with the 3 kids(aged 5,5 and 8)over the summer,I had a job to come back to so now I use it most weekends sometimes stay at campsites and away for the weekends sometimes just a day away somewhere were we can ride the bikes or walking in woods or beach, the beauty of it is we can pull up do what we want and home is were its parked, Food can be made and a cup of tea then set of home, and we love it, Also like the rallies (you can find them on here) my kids love looking at all the stands and stroking dogs then at night we either go out out to one of the shows or stay in and have a beer, hope you enjoy it as much as we do:thumb:

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Hi Pezza

Glad to hear you have joined the fraternity. The secret really is not to wish your life away - retirement will come to us all eventually.:winky:

We are not retired as yet, I have another 6 years to go and then when I do retire I think Geo (my other better half) will retire as well, well he'll take more of a back seat in the business than he does presently (hopefully) and then we will be able to take in some longer travels ourselves.

At the moment though we make the most of our RV by taking at least one weekend in every month away by either taking in motorhome shows or by going to some of the many meets that are put on by this forum and our sister forum (RVOC). This year, we took advantage of the extra bank holidays by joining them up and making 11 day breaks. That happened twice so this year we have taken some good breaks away.:thumb:

Our son Stevie-B is also a member of this forum - he's only 25 years old and will be taking his first meet with us at the Lincoln Show next weekend - so you are not necessarily the youngest motorhomer. If you're about at Lincoln come and say hello.:Smile:

Hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi welcome to fun i like you still have to work and over 20 years to retirement if i last that long:ROFLMAO:. We tend to go away for 3 - 4 weeks summer and another 4 full weeks throughout the year and as many weekends as we can but having a 14 year old daughter it can be hard as she has a better social life than us.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Mate,
Welcome to the site, used to live in Cov our selves many years ago.

We are/were young funsters with teenage kids 13/15. There are a few of us on here keeping those retired older folk in order.

Looking at your profile I see you like many things like us, skiing etc.
For me the best way to utilise that great big bunch of cash that you have on the drive, is to use it. We use ours for skiing, we use it to go away for weekends, we use it for meets, we use it for holidays, god dam it we even use it to sit in sometimes and hide from the kids. :Smile:

AS Pammy advises, I cant wait too retire, but I sure aint going to wish my life away and intend on enjoying the journey to retirement. We have decided to take a year out of work (maybe more) when the youngest either goes to Uni or gets a job. We intend on jacking it all in for a year, travelling and getting that out of our system and then going back to work as and when needed. I suppose we are fortunate that that is a possibility in our jobs. At least that way we dont have to wait until we are 67 to do it, we recon 7 years time will be good.
But lifes plans change, we will see what it throws at us in the meantime.

Enjoy your van, love the hobby by the way.:thumb:

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Well I've got at least 26yrs to retirement...or longer if the powers that be change retirement ages! Until I had my daughter, my dog (now sadly passed on) and I used to get away quite a bit with long weekends as well as some longer trips through the year in our campervan. Also managed a 6 week trip when I was made redundant in 2008. Then I had about 18months when the van didn't even get the engine started as first I was too pregnant to drive it and then my dog was too poorly to leave home. So my daughter had her first holiday in May 2010. Since then we've had a few trips but due to the time it took to pack/unpack etc they have only been a week or two week trips to make it worth the effort. We've just changed to a coachbuilt m/h though and the more spacious facilities mean I can leave a lot of things in the van ready (toiletries, clean towels, bed linen etc) so I'm hoping that we'll manage regular weekend trips (I only work 4 days a week) next year, although without going far from home (can't afford the diesel!) plus one or two longer trips as well. Better insulation might also mean we can use it for more of the year.

The wonderful thing about motorhoming in all its forms (and I guess with caravans/tents too) is that it encompasses such a wide range of requirements from family holidays, retired couples, solo travellers, those that like rallies to those who like peace, and anything from full-timers to occassional weekenders! So enjoy your m/h in the way that you can now, and enjoy knowing that as life progresses you can continue to enjoy it ::bigsmile:

Happy travels
Daisy2

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We use ours as often as we can. Weve been to Aviemore Boxing day to over the New Year , IOW in the May school hols and the Lake district in the 6 week hols so far this year.
In between the longer trips we've had lots of weekends away all over the place. Staying on CL's CCC rallies , at the odd pub like Tan Hill Inn , Ship Inn at Acastermalbis etc.
We pick up the kids from school on a Friday and off we go. Paying as little as only £5 a night upwards. Going commercial we are paying up to £35 a night. 3 kids 2 dogs bumps up the price even though we dont get hook up.
All the oldies say dont wish your life away , and we arn't.
Thats why we are saving motorhome trips abroad ( preferring to fly ) until we dont have to take the kids.
Then we can drive leisurely through where ever, to get there when we want, and not be tied to just 2 weeks .
We consider our selves lucky to be able to have a motorhome while we still have kids at home. We normaly only ever see grandparents out and about. Unless we go to a MHF rally that is. Then there are a few families about.
Welcome to fun and enjoy your pride and joy as much as you can. Thats what its for after all. Keeping off commercial sites with a family certainly makes it more affordable.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
:welcomefunster: I am one of the younger funster as well, I was lucky and retired early:winky:

You well be amazed at the spread of age of funsters and how they all become one at meets and on the forum :coolthumb:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Still got 10 years at least :cry: but I mostly enjoy my job so that's OK really.

We have only had our motor home for a couple of months and have been away twice, both long weekends using a couple of days leave each time.
There are loads of lovely places you can go in this country and because you have freedom with a motor home, with a bit of forward planning like making sure your pride and joy is ready for the off, get home on a Thursday evening and drive for 2 hours towards the sunshine (hopefully) park up and you have 2 1/2 full days to enjoy before going back to work on Monday.:thumb::thumb:
Should be able to manage at least a weekend a month throughout the summer and still have loads of holiday left.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We mainly do weekends due to work and school for the kids. We mainly do Friday after work to Sunday, although on some routes we travel early Saturday to avoid the Friday traffic. We sometimes take a Friday off if the kids have a training day and we do Thursday night to Sunday. Then we have our main holidays which we also spend in the van. It works well for us.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Good to hear from the youngsters!

I was fortunate enough to be able to retire 7 years ago at the age of 57, and have never looked back, thouroughly enjoying trips of 8/9 weeks 2 or 3 times a year.

But I am not so old as to not remember the good times before I retired!. We had a caravan then, and for many years used it for as much travel as we could, weekends in the UK, and a 3 week trip on the continent each summer, with the kids (all grown up now of course) - it was great!

So I would say do not just wish for retirement, live for the present and use your van as much as you can.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
:welcomefunster: I am one of the younger funster as well, I was lucky and retired early:winky:

You well be amazed at the spread of age of funsters and how they all become one at meets and on the forum :coolthumb:

We Rally with 5 different clubs and have noticed over the last 2 years many are attracting less young members, especially families, but Fun is still attracting younger members to shows and rallies.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Listen! You young wasters! you ain't got time to go off on holiday! havin' a good time. What do you think this is? A Holiday Camp?:whatthe:
You get back to work! Earn Money! PAY TAXES! Get this country back on it's feet!, pay more tax? all the better:thumb:

If you don't pay taxes, how's "Call me Dave" going to keep me in the luxery I'm accustomed to?:Blush: How am I goin' to afford to fill up my Bugatti? Eh?

Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to work you go_ _ _ _

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Been on here for a few weeks now after buying the MH and it seems most of you are retired and able to use your MH a lot more than us. We have to go to work still and are restricted to weekends away and only 5 weeks holiday a year. Would like to hear from any other "younger" funsters who also have to work and how you get the most out of your MH. Roll on the next 17 years so we can retire and travel properly

To get to most out of my motorhome 20 odd years ago I moved into it... been there ever since...:winky:

JJ :Cool:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999

Before we retired we used to live in the MH in a Royal Mail car park and lucky to to be retired early, and now living the dream at only 62,:thumb:

OP
OP
P

Pezza

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years now
Well it's good to see there's plenty youngsters on here giving the old retired 'uns a run for their money. We're off this weekend straight from work only 20 miles away but really looking forward to it. Got next year's trip to South France sorted for July, and 10 nights doing Passion France for August/September. Will hopefully turn up on some of the rallies and meet up with fellow youngsters. ::bigsmile: Big smiles all round.

Leaveyfreya

Free Member
Sep 20, 2009
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I'm 33 and my OH is 51 so we have quite an age difference - but we love the same things in life:Smile:

We get away every other weekend through the summer....although we have just got a new van so ahve been away 3 weekends in four...something to do with Ian liking this one better I think:winky:

I am saving like mad to catch up with Ian so we can do what we want when we are older.

It makes it more difficult when there is such an age gap as I am the one who would take off tomorrow if I had the funds but need to wait longer.. where as he would take off now and not care. I like to pay my way!

We just love the lifestyle and make the most of what we can now!

Jayne

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
I also retired early (aged 50) and there was no way I could have afforded and run a motorhome prior to getting that retirement lumper. I remember envying those lucky people who were able to own one prior to retiring. Truth is I became obsessive 2 years before I retired reading every MH magazine printed and visiting shows and dealerships (just to look) at every opportunity. The MH I eventually bought was the screensaver on my computer at work and occupied my every waking thought. There are so many ways in which ownership can enhance your life, be it supporting a hobby, holidays, travel, day trips, nights out (without having to drive home) and not least meeting people and making new friends. At the moment my wife still works albeit part time, but the way we use the van will change and evolve when she finally retires later this year.
So we're not all the wrinklies you might have imagined, in my experience the average age of motorhomers I have met rivals that of leather clad bikers tearing up the tarmac. Just enjoy it however you use it and consider how much you would miss it if you had to do without it.:thumb:
Geoff.

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I'm 44 the wife is younger:winky: we use our RV as much as time allows, which really isn't enough, because we have busy lives and other hobbies. We have considered selling a few times, but then we use it and change our minds.
It's a catch 22, but not a bad situation to be in I guess.
We went to our first meet/show and met a few folk from here and RVOC all from different walks of life and all ages, but all had one thing in common, having a good time, which is fundamentally what it's all about.

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
I'm wishing my life away at the moment ,just turned 60 ,moved home and finding work very stressful ;my wife was made redundant and will probably not work again due to bad health. I would love to retire with a pension now whilst we can both enjoy our M/H. I cant understand why the Gov. wants us oldies to work longer when theres so many youngsters unemployed.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
As a fulltime carer you should be elegable for pension credit once you are over 60. :Blush:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As much as I would like to pack it in, I am afraid I am far from retired..

We do make the effort to go away almost every weekend ( apart from December as Mo' likes to get everything ready for Krimble ).

Even if we go away on Saturday and come home Sunday that still means a night out, and the opportunity to meet folk etc etc..

As time has gone by I have managed to get my daughter to run things for me which means we can get slightly longer abroad than a lot of folk, but for us it has always been grab what odd days we can.. even if it is a 40 mile down the road over night jobby

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
Hi, were 25 years off retirement with 2 girls aged 8 & 14 so definately NOT old ! :ROFLMAO:
Looking for our first motorhome after having caravans and a tent most recently. We expect to buy a decatto based vehicle around 1990/91 in the next couple of weeks hopefully, then the fun can begin.
We cant wait.

I am glad you asked this question, because I wondered too.

Jason & Claire (Nth Lincs) :thumb:

OP
OP
P

Pezza

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years now
Hi, were 25 years off retirement with 2 girls aged 8 & 14 so definately NOT old ! :ROFLMAO:
Looking for our first motorhome after having caravans and a tent most recently. We expect to buy a decatto based vehicle around 1990/91 in the next couple of weeks hopefully, then the fun can begin.
We cant wait.

I am glad you asked this question, because I wondered too.

Jason & Claire (Nth Lincs) :thumb:

Hi Jason/Claire
Bet you can't wait to get started. We ar eusing the MH every other weekend at the moment straight from work on a Friday and back Sunday afternoon. Went to Warwick last weekend and that was a 25 minute drive but great when we got there. Im joning the Hobby owners club too so may go on a few of their rallies.
hope you get your MH soon and get the use out of it straight away :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back