Pc maintenance software? (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
IMO never ever use it.....it will eventually lose you something....learn how to do it yourself...it will be much safer...

To clean your Hard drive it is mainly a matter of deleting .tmp files etc and defraging....

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if you exclude virus checkers, spyware hunters etc computer maintainance comes down to removal of unused programs and data, file integrity, registry cleaning, and defragmenting files.
first create a restore point and backup if possible.
Use add/remove programs when you can to remove unwanted progs and data.
run CCleaner
Link Removed
clean the registry. I use AML free registry cleaner, works fine for me.

Chkdsk and old dos command still works from a dos window though may not take effect until you next reboot. So reboot then Defrag
For defragmenting files and making them contiguous I use defraggler again a free download.
defrag should be the last thing to do after cleaning the drive.
finally whilst clean and hopefully working well save a new backup/disk image using a different name to the first one saved and again set a system restore point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
IMO never ever use it.....it will eventually lose you something....learn how to do it yourself...it will be much safer...

To clean your Hard drive it is mainly a matter of deleting .tmp files etc and defraging....

Windows

I couldn't agree more, I've lost count of the number of times I've had to reformat after a mintenace/cleaning program has messed up.. :Angry:

Even the very popular CCleaner can mess up..

I only use Windows own utilities, Disk Clean up and Defrag

Mac OSX

there is a good program for doing maintenance and cleaning called Onyx ..

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
'Advanced System Care 4' is the one I use & never had a problem with it.

It's easy to run, free to download and gets rid of all the rubbish that some programmes leave on your hard drive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
In my view, whilst getting rid of temp files and defragging do need doing, the biggest causes of machines going slow are:

1. Programs that, when installed, decide that you want them to load every time you boot up.

and

2. Programs that decide that you want them to check on line every day, sometimes more, for updates.

These are just plain annoying. Why programs cannot assume you do NOT want this unless you say so is beyond me. Over time most machines get clogged up by loads of programs doing these things.

You can get rid of them manually using defender, or msconfig. Also using scheduled tasks.

I tried advanced sytem care 4 as recomended by Keith, and it is certainly better than most. But it is ironically guilty of both offences above if you allow it to install with its defaults. Until I fixed it, it resulted in 4 additional programs loading on start up! But you can stop it doing this and then it does seem pretty good.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
'Advanced System Care 4' is the one I use & never had a problem with it.

It's easy to run, free to download and gets rid of all the rubbish that some programmes leave on your hard drive.

I already have the free version of this and it seems ok:thumb: just wondered if there was anything better out there:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back