c1 D1 grandfather rights to go ??? (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
A friend who was round to dinner last night mentioned that he was on an ambulance driving course last week and was told that the grandfather rights on C1 and D1 would be abolished in 2014 and we would all need a medical and a test to get them back.

This is I hope not true, but does anyone know for sure. If this did happen, a lot of us would be up sh1t creek without a paddle.
:shout::shout::shout::shout:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
A friend who was round to dinner last night mentioned that he was on an ambulance driving course last week and was told that the grandfather rights on C1 and D1 would be abolished in 2014 and we would all need a medical and a test to get them back.

This is I hope not true, but does anyone know for sure. If this did happen, a lot of us would be up creek without a paddle.
:shout::shout::shout::shout:

I will probably get a lot of flack here - but I have to ask WHY would you be up the creek without a paddle?

Do you not think that you are fit to drive, either medically or technically - in which case the Authorities have a point in retesting the C1 and D1.

Dick

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Perhaps I am liable to be misunderstood, this test and medical will no doubt be expensive, and according to my unreliable source will have to be re-done every two years.

My post shouldn't be taken to mean that I think any of us are too decrepit to pass it, this was not my intention at all. I just wanted to know if anyone knew for a fact whether this is true, or just a rumour.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Now that's a different matter completely and one on which I fully agree with you - I don't know the truth of the matter BUT I have no doubt that it will happen sooner or later - and that it will cost us :Angry:

Dick

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if it does happen then the added expence will take me and a lot of others off the road for good. so looking at maybe 3 years left then. bugger.

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The directgov site is unhelpful but implies it only becomes a problem when your licence is renewed. (mine lasts till 2021 when I will be 70 and need a medical anyway.)

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
CI entitlement

You need a medical at 70 at the moment if you need to keep your CI entitlement and it expires after three years:
The medical dos'nt come under the NHS and my medical cost me £96 but the cost varies between surgeries.
Alan

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
You do not need to visit YOUR doc for a medical. MOST pro drivers use drivermedicals.com or similar, they will have docs on their programme near you, at a time to suit you, and charges can be as low as £35.......do a search when the time is right.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
One more problem with people with disabilities.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Thanks for the link, thats very useful and the charges are about a third of what our doctor would charge. We have to have medicals either every one or two years dependant on age and any medical conditions

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I cant see this getting passed, I have to have my first medical at 45 for my PSV/LGV and every 5 years there after until my 70th.
They may well insist on a medical but I doubt testing would introduced. IMO.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I can't see any point in doing it-----they might as well wait 'till all with g.dad's rights die off:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:medical would be practical though
Nigel

that's what I was thinking... but someone born in 1979 (age 32) who passed their test in 1996 will have the gf rights .. so that could be 40+ years until they are all too old

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:whatthe::whatthe: sorry to upset you all but i posted about this 6 ,,to 10 months ago and got shouted down by a few,,

the uk 15 years ago opted out of the eec rules and regs and are now being forced to apply them,,i have just had to do my medical at a cost of about £200.00
But in 2 years it will change in severall ways,to conform with the eu laws

1,all meds will have to be done by your own doc and they will have to be registerd with the dvla,,,,mine is quoting £185.00 they say this is because they have to register with dvla ??

2,any one oaver the age of 50 will need to get one done,if the vech is oaver 3.5 tonns fully loaded ,ie full tanks of every thing.

3 if you are on meds,,you wont get away with not declairing them as ,,blood test for drugs will have to be done by hospital on a sepperate form before you visit your doc,s and if you have other probs with mobillaty or or hight blood ect you will be asked to do the tread mill 30 mins in the morning and 30 in the pm ,6 hrs apart ,they also hook you up to the ecg machine for the readouts ?

4 they also do your cholestrall levells and weight,i was told i have to loose 1.5 stone before the knext med in 2 years

5 new eye sight test and scan,,you must not fall below 40 with out glasses and 30 with.

all the new changes are on the eec gov site
the reason i know all this is ive just done it all while the doc,s for the dvla evaluated this on me and 10 other drivers at the royal surrey hos 3 weeks ago ,and passed,, these are just to drive 3.5 tonns in the uk

as i said i posted it months ago and got told its rubbish by others on here who seem to know better ,,so its up to you all to think what you want.
one more thing if you hold a c1 or di you will have to go to school to get your cpc cost £1500.00 to keep the licence also just for proff drivers you will need a nvq 2 to do the cpc ,iv done both and it cost about £2000.00

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
:whatthe::whatthe: sorry to upset you all but i posted about this 6 ,,to 10 months ago and got shouted down by a few,,

the uk 15 years ago opted out of the eec rules and regs and are now being forced to apply them,,i have just had to do my medical at a cost of about £200.00

1,all meds will have to be done by your own doc and they will have to be registerd with the dvla,,,,mine is quoting £185.00 they say this is because they have to register with dvla ??

2,any one oaver the age of 50 will need to get one done,if the vech is oaver 3.5 tonns fully loaded ,ie full tanks of every thing.

3 if you are on meds,,you wont get away with not declairing them as ,,blood test for drugs will have to be done by hospital on a sepperate form before you visit your doc,s and if you have other probs with mobillaty or or hight blood ect you will be asked to do the tread mill 30 mins in the morning and 30 in the pm ,6 hrs apart ,they also hook you up to the ecg machine for the readouts ?

4 they also do your cholestrall levells and weight,i was told i have to loose 1.5 stone before the knext med in 2 years

5 new eye sight test and scan,,you must not fall below 40 with out glasses and 30 with.

the reason i know all this is ive just done it all while the doc,s for the dvla evaluated this on me and 10 other drivers at the royal surrey hos 3 weeks ago ,and passed,, these are just to drive 3.5 tonns in the uk

as i said i posted it months ago and got told its rubbish by others on here who seem to know better ,,so its up to you all to think what you want.
one more thing if you hold a c1 or di you will have to go to school to get your cpc cost £1500.00 to keep the licence also just for proff drivers you will need a nvq 2 to do the cpc ,iv done both and it cost about £2000.00

Can you provide a link to the EEC website?

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years

So they can impose stricter conditions for MH drivers that HGV/PSV drivers?

Under EU law, they CANNOT insist that your own doctor does a medical,.....a lot of people dont ever see their OWN doctor, and ALL doctors are qualified to do medicals..they ARE doing them at drivermedicals.com, they dont get the cleaner in to do them, its someones doctor earning a bit extra who's doing it.

I,ll agree that they may be stepping up some of the rules on medicals, but dont get scared by all this other borrax.
The drivers CPC, is for pro drivers who run on a TACHOGRAPH and get paid for it, not for private drivers who drive a vehicle over a setb weight.....Chris Eubanks drives a soddin HGv and he aint even got an HGV license!
For years we (landrover owners0 were told that as a defender has a towing capacity of over 3.5t, we had to fit tacho's to them,....ONLY IF YOU DO IT FOR A LIVING.

I,m not saying you are incorrect oin all points mate, but a fair bit of your post is conjecture, and unless it can be vefified by DVLA or VOSA, i,d really not be spreading it too far.
The best way to deal with anything regarding licenses, weights, medicals etc...is to post a link to the directgov/dvla/vosa site that is showing it, then we can all have alook and make a judgement!

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The directgov site is unhelpful but implies it only becomes a problem when your licence is renewed. (mine lasts till 2021 when I will be 70 and need a medical anyway.)

No change to current practice, then?

You need a medical at 70 at the moment if you need to keep your CI entitlement and it expires after three years:
The medical dos'nt come under the NHS and my medical cost me £96 but the cost varies between surgeries.
Alan

No change to current practice, then?

One more problem with people with disabilities.

Why disabled folk specifically?
We all need the medical from 70.

I'm confused.
What's this thread about?
Nothing new here.
If you are talking about the EU Third licence directive, there shouldnt be any significant changes., except in the motorbike licensing system. It's all knee jerk at the moment. Wait and see.
We already need a medical to renew vocational (C1) entitlements from 70. That's when grandfather or any other rights expire naturally.

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Just had a thought:
You're not confusing the issue with the requirement for anyone supervising a C1/D1 learner driver to actually have took the relevant test are you?
In this case grandfather rights dont satisfy requirements.

(From 6 April 2010)

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Pretty sure johnp10 is right. If your entitlement to drive heavier vehicles is purely becuase of grandfather rights, this is no longer enough to allow you to accompany learners on heavier vehicles (from last year).

But as far as I know there is no change to your entitlement to drive heavier vehicles.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
A scaremonger post of the worst kind...

I spent a long time yesterday looking at the DVLA site and VOSA site and also other sites for this EEC requirements. Other than motorcycles and a few tweaks here and there I do not see any changes that change what we do now.

The changes for over 70 year olds has been about for ages and well known.. this is not some magic bit of new legislation. the way the post has been placed on the site is very misleading and in my personal view unhelpful and causes worry to lots of drivers when it does not need to.

The rules are not aimed at the social driver of motorhomes being driven on grandfather rights licences for vehicles under 7.5 tons or 8.25 with Mass trailer added weight. ... I am use to reading small print being a retired lawyer, but I am looking for what is in effect not there. OK VOSA /DVLA can change the rules as they want. But I do not see this having much effect on the vast majority of motorhome owners.

Cannot speak for John (Road runner) and his mobility scooter.. but then he cannot drive that in any case:winky:

But if someone wants to highlight an issue..great, but please try to show the correct facts or links to the site you are quoting from. I was not impressed with the information..

Bob:Angry:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I spent a long time yesterday looking at the DVLA site and VOSA site and also other sites for this EEC requirements. Other than motorcycles and a few tweaks here and there I do not see any changes that change what we do now.

The changes for over 70 year olds has been about for ages and well known.. [HI][HI]this is not some magic bit of new legislation[/HI][/HI]. the way the post has been placed on the site is very misleading and in my personal view unhelpful and causes worry to lots of drivers when it does not need to.

The rules are not aimed at the social driver of motorhomes being driven on grandfather rights licences for vehicles under 7.5 tons or 8.25 with Mass trailer added weight. ... I am use to reading small print being a retired lawyer, but I am looking for what is in effect not there. OK VOSA /DVLA can change the rules as they want. But I do not see this having much effect on the vast majority of motorhome owners.

Cannot speak for John (Road runner) and his mobility scooter.. but then he cannot drive that in any case:winky:

But if someone wants to highlight an issue..great, but [HI]please try to show the correct facts or links to the site you are quoting from.[/HI] I was not impressed with the information..

Bob:Angry:

At last, the voice of sanity!
I have C1+E.....no, I wont.
Thanks Bob.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
:Smile::Smile::Smile:Just had HGV medical at own DR.Cost£25.00.​

They can charge any sum they wish, Bill.
You are a private patient for this purpose.
£25 is a bargain!
My last one cost me £65.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back